Entire Dream Theater catalog a possibility!

jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
edited August 2012 in The Rock Band Network
From Mike Portnoys' website forums:
Xaanix,

My company does the official transcription books for DT - we've already been in contact with DT's management about doing DT's music for the RBN. Chris Romero, who transcribes keys for Jordan, happens to be an amazing Rock Band player - he was top 25 in the world at one point on the 360 leaderboards. He was on this the day they announced it - they're looking at the feasibility of it as far as legal issues etc. We really want to do it and Chris is the perfect person to make the charts for them... Fingers are crossed that it'll happen.

Ryan
Provided it all works out, the plan is to chart the entire catalog...
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2405474.aspx

From the Dream Theater forums:
Well, since Shadow (thats me lol) has pestered me from my sick bed, I've done the transcription for yous.

I told JR that I didn't know much about it but people were saying somebody needed to ask the band about it so I was going to...

KP (thats the DT fanclub runner): Rock Band Network – what do you know about it?

JR (Jordan Rudess): Video games? Yeah, it’s when you prepare the song for people to play and a lot of bands are doing it themselves…

KP: Yeah, I think it has to come from the band…

JR: Well, we’re very aware of that. Actually, the guy, Chris Romero, who’s our main keyboard transcriber has spoken to me about that and I’ve spoken to our management and everyone’s really aware of it. We’re just waiting for things to work out on a business level I think with that ‘coz’ we’d all love to see it happen…

KP: Rumour was from Ryan Marziarz (Tabs)…

JR: Yeah, the other transcriber…

KP: that there’s talk that you might do the entire catalogue. Do you know if that’s true?

JR: Well, yeah, hmm, nothing’s happened yet. It would be cool and if they get the go-ahead they’ll be happy – it’s a lot of work! [laughter]

KP: So… it’s something that everybody’s looking at and if it can happen it will happen?

JR: Yeah, for sure! Absolutely. I think it would be a really cool thing.

KP: Great! Thank you!

Hope this meets your expectations!
http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=5178.70

Obviously they can't put out any songs over 10 minutes, but nonetheless it would be awesome if we can more Dream Theater via the RBN!!! :D

REALLY hoping this works out.

Comments

• bootz0rsbootz0rs Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    They could be a driving force in getting highly well known bands into RBN.
  • NoahTheDukeNoahTheDuke Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Der_Lex;3153849 said:
    As much as I dislike the last couple of albums, this would be epic if it happens.
    Whaaaaat. Hoooooooow? Noooooooooooo.

Noah
  • Watchmen89Watchmen89 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Holy crap! Yes please!!!!
  • shadowracershadowracer Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    All I can is wow an entire catalog im not even a fan of dreamtheater and I think that would be amazing.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    The entire catalog? Even with the 10 minute restriction, that's a lot of really great music that could potentially be put on RBN. Heck, they could probably get their longer songs onto regular DLC without much trouble if they felt so inclined.

Really hope this works out, would love to see more Dream Theater on Rock Band!
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    I really hope they would make exceptions for the "10 minute rule"
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited October 2009
    instantdeath999;3154065 said:
    That's what I'm hoping as well, we'll see what happens with that.
  • fragbert66fragbert66 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Good lord, can you imagine the entire Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    Not to be a complete buzzkill, but wasn't it RoadRunner Records who recently said something like "Screw RBN, the money's not good enough"?

(Of course, I'm paraphrasing)
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited October 2009
    instantdeath999;3154065 said:
    I think anything longer than 10 minutes is going to have to go through the regular Music Store. Once you start making exceptions to rules like this, it tends to lead to confusion and disappointment for many others later on. I suppose it might be possible to modify the rules at some point in the future, but I don't see exceptions being made for anyone.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3154101 said:
    Not to be a complete buzzkill, but wasn't it RoadRunner Records who recently said something like "Screw RBN, the money's not good enough"?

(Of course, I'm paraphrasing)
    No, I believe that was Relapse, but of course I could be wrong.
    Magnet;3154143 said:
    I think anything longer than 10 minutes is going to have to go through the regular Music Store. Once you start making exceptions to rules like this, it tends to lead to confusion and disappointment for many others later on. I suppose it might be possible to modify the rules at some point in the future, but I don't see exceptions being made for anyone.
    I suppose so. I don't even think that rule should be in place... so I assume they have a very good reason for it, as it is a pretty imposing limit.
  • Setsu102Setsu102 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    If this ends up pulling through then Rock Band is THE ONLY music game worth purchasing in my opinion. Amazing.
  • Sento KaibaSento Kaiba Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I'm so happy to hear this possibility!

RBN + DT = WIN

Even if the 10 min rule stands, there would still be quite a few great songs that could become available.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited October 2009
    I would at least get Under A Glass Moon.
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited October 2009
    Why can't we have songs over 10 minutes in length?

The Camera Eye is almost 11:00 in length (One second short).
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited October 2009
    BuRn7 CaK3;3154326 said:
    Why can't we have songs over 10 minutes in length?

The Camera Eye is almost 11:00 in length (One second short).
    We can have 10+ minute songs in Rock Band, but not through the RBN.
  • vitamins999vitamins999 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Is it a case of the RBN software actually doesn't allow songs to be longer than 10 minutes, or that 10+ minute songs won't pass HMX's peer review?

If it's the peer review, then there's always the chance for an exception considering how much of a well known band DT is, the exposure it would give the RBN concerning bigger bands, and the fact that a large proportion of their discography is over 10 minutes.

Still, incredible news. DT are my favourite band, so this is really a dream come true. I think I could die happy after playing the solo in Under A Glass Moon, or the Metropolis Part I instrumental section.
  • FromtonRougeFromtonRouge Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I can't see in the spec where is the 10 minutes limitation note, do I have to buy new glasses ?
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Not going to buy anything by them, but it's great that a big band is doing something like that. Hoping more bands will follow them!
  • SwivleSwivle Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    O.O

I am going to be ****ing poor if this happens.
  • lucianolgrlucianolgr Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    OMG!!! I'd buy it all at once. GREAT brazilian DT fan over here guys!
    ;)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    vitamins999;3154455 said:
    Is it a case of the RBN software actually doesn't allow songs to be longer than 10 minutes, or that 10+ minute songs won't pass HMX's peer review?
    It's not the peer review. It was specifically stated when RBN was announced that songs will have a 30-second minimum, and 10-minute maximum.
  • Setsu102Setsu102 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3154636 said:
    It's not the peer review. It was specifically stated when RBN was announced that songs will have a 30-second minimum, and 10-minute maximum.
    Finding out whether that's a software limitation or perhaps a server-side hardware limitation is what's key to seeing if the rule can be bent for larger artists. I hope this goes through, because otherwise we probably wouldn't see any more DT from HMX's main store for a long while.
  • Redon26Redon26 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    So there's no hope for Octavarium on RBN? :( (The song is 24 minutes)
  • NoahTheDukeNoahTheDuke Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, no Octavarium. Not unless they split it into multiple tracks. Actually, I just went through the DT discography, and made notes about each of the songs that probably won't make it. I guess I could post it here too! (I originally made it for Scorehero.)

When Dream And Day Unite:
    1. A Fortune in Lies 5:12
    2. Status Seeker 4:15
    3. The Ytse Jam 5:43
    4. The Killing Hand 8:40
    5. Light Fuse and Get Away 7:23
    6. Afterlife 5:27
    7. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun 8:04
    8. Only a Matter of Time 6:35

Cool. The whole album! I can't wait for Ytse Jame and The Killing Hand. Totally awesome songs.

Images And Words:
    1. Pull Me Under 8:11
    2. Another Day 4:24
    3. Take the Time 8:21
    4. Surrounded 5:30
    5. Metropolis, Pt. I: The Miracle and the Sleeper 9:32
    6. Under a Glass Moon 7:04
    7. Wait for Sleep 2:32
    8. Learning to Live 11:31

All but Learning To Live. LtL makes me super sad, but holy **** Under A Glass Moon? That solo is fantastic. Also, another GH song. Cha-ching! Will they chart Wait For Sleep only for Vocals? Who knows? I love the song, though.

Awake:
    1. 6:00 5:31
    2. Caught in a Web 5:28
    3. Innocence Faded 5:43
    4. A Mind Beside Itself: I. Erotomania 6:45
    5. A Mind Beside Itself: II. Voices 9:53
    6. A Mind Beside Itself: III. The Silent Man 3:48
    7. The Mirror 6:45
    8. Lie 6:34
    9. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream 6:05
    10. Scarred 11:00
    11. Space-Dye Vest 7:29

Scarred is beautiful, and I weep for its' exclusion. It fades out, but not soon enough. The songs we do get more than make up for it, though: The Mirror, Erotomania, 6:00!

A Change Of Seasons:
    Way too long. Even if they try to split it up, it'd have to be in at least 3 parts. Ouch.

Falling Into Infinity:
    1. New Millennium 8:20
    2. You Not Me 4:58
    3. Peruvian Skies 6:43
    4. Hollow Years 5:53
    5. Burning My Soul 5:29
    6. Hell's Kitchen 4:16
    7. Lines in the Sand 12:05
    8. Take Away My Pain 6:03
    9. Just Let Me Breathe 5:28
    10. Anna Lee 5:51
    11. Trial of Tears 13:07

Trial Of Tears could easily be split into its' three parts, the cuts being at 6:11 and 9:59. Not the smoothest, but it's Dream Theater. They'll figure it out. Lines In The Sand, in the same vein, could be two parts. Or not. It might be too much of a hassle. Oh well. Just Let Me Breathe is sweet.

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory:
    1. Scene One: Regression 2:06
    2. Scene Two, Part. I: Overture 1928 3:37
    3. Scene Two, Part. II: Strange D
  • SenorLarrySenorLarry Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    It's times like this that I wish I had a 360. Hopefully RBN will come to the other systems in RB3, 'cause Dream Theater would be epic.
  • Sento KaibaSento Kaiba Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Hmm, it has left me wondering if the whole DT discography is going to be covered, could the live covers of other bands/songs be charted/for sale on the RBN?
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Sento Kaiba;3154879 said:
    Hmm, it has left me wondering if the whole DT discography is going to be covered, could the live covers of other bands/songs be charted/for sale on the RBN?
    Covers are not allowed on the RBN.
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    bootz0rs;3153890 said:
    They could be a driving force in getting highly well known bands into RBN.
    This could be true if Dream Theater was a well known band.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Instrumedley pl0x.

EDIT: Damn, forgot that about half of their catalog will be unusable due to the idiotic 10-minute restriction. Thanks for screwing over pretty much every Prog Band with this stupid rule, HMX.
This discussion has been closed.