So what big bands are actually bringing their songs here?

master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Just wanted to know, cause so far really all I see is local or independent bands I have never heard of having songs coming out for this.

Unless I see bands like guns n roses, def leppard, fall out boy, etc bringing songs to this, this is a waste of time and I hope it doesn't even come to ps3.

Not trying to be negative, but with money as tight as it is, I am not buying songs from a bunch of nobodys I have never heard of.

Comments

• instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Well, Sub Pop is interested in putting out it's entire catalog... that's bands such as Nirvana, Soundgarden, Bright Eyes, Sonic Youth, and even a Beach Boys song. Check it out

Dream Theater are also interested, and Spocks Beard and Watchtower are decently popular. Aside from that, I'm not sure, since I haven't kept up too much.

Lets put it this way... if I were a betting man, I'd say you have a greater chance of seeing Hair metal on RBN than you do on the music store, at least for the time being.
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Yea, I scour that list of bands and see absolutely no one I know, besides the occasional HMX band.

If Sub Pop can come through with their interest, I'll definitely be more excited.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I would guess that big groups have management. And management doesn't necessary like to go out and yell its plans on public forums. That might explain the lack of news in this area.

Small bands, having nothing to lose, tend to be more vocal and free with their plans, dreams, and goals.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Sometimes unknown bands make good songs also- true story bro
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say regarding songs on RBN, but I'm a beta tester, and right now there's a song up for peer review that was a top 5 hit back in the day.

So, yes, major labels will release songs on RBN, they're just more tight-lipped than all the little guys posting on their blogs.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    WingsOfSteel;3154314 said:
    I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say regarding songs on RBN, but I'm a beta tester, and right now there's a song up for peer review that was a top 5 hit back in the day.

So, yes, major labels will release songs on RBN, they're just more tight-lipped than all the little guys posting on their blogs.
    You should totally drop hints. Post a lyric backwards, find a tab of the guitar solo or riff (if applicable) and post it, write the songs backwards in Italian... get creative :)
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    thats sweet dude. back in the day eh.. 60's??...
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    master2uall;3154210 said:
    Not trying to be negative, but with money as tight as it is, I am not buying songs from a bunch of nobodys I have never heard of.
    Then don't buy them. That doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

But you might also want to try being a little more open-minded. Remember that your all time favorite band was once a bunch of nobodys that you'd never heard of. :)
    WingsOfSteel;3154314 said:
    They told us in the Creators forums that once a song is put up for testing, we can talk about it.

It's a re-record of Talking in Your Sleep by The Romantics, which hit #3 on the Billboard Top 100 in 1984. And despite being a re-record, it sounds VERY much like the original. :)
  • Setsu102Setsu102 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    The main point of the RBN is to allow bands that otherwise would have a difficult time distributing their music to do so. It's cheap and easy compared to a lot of other platforms of distribution.

Try looking up a new band every once in a while and expanding your musical horizons....Seriously.

Just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean they're bad. You could potentially find a band on RBN whose sound is something you really love, but wouldn't have heard them otherwise because they weren't picked up at the right time by the right label. Think things through before you jump ship.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited October 2009
    ... this is a waste of time ...

Not trying to be negative...
    Seriously? It seems like that is exactly what you are trying to do.

I have listened to pretty much all of the announced songs and there are at least 1-2 dozen that I will buy they day they come out. In my mind well-known does not always equal good music and unknown does not equal bad music.

Of course I would like to see all sizes of bands use this service and I am sure with time they will. Bands and more specifically labels will see this as a viable outlet for exposure and money, but I do not expect them to make public announcements or come to a forum to announce that they are looking at it or working on it.

Anyway I love the way the RBN is shaping up.
  • BullseyeBullseye Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3154642 said:
    Then don't buy them. That doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

But you might also want to try being a little more open-minded. Remember that your all time favorite band was once a bunch of nobodys that you'd never heard of. :)

They told us in the Creators forums that once a song is put up for testing, we can talk about it.

It's a re-record of Talking in Your Sleep by The Romantics, which hit #3 on the Billboard Top 100 in 1984. And despite being a re-record, it sounds VERY much like the original. :)
    Wow, you made my day! Love that song! I just saw the Romantics in concert back on Labor Day, and was thinking how great they'd be in RB. After the GH:E 80s law suit fiasco, I'd thought we'd seen the last of these boys.
  • S1ckH4ndsS1ckH4nds YouTube Guru
    edited October 2009
    You do realize, by the way, that every song will have a playable demo of either the first minute of the song or first third (whichever is shorter)? You won't be forced to spend your money on anything you don't want to, but you'll still be able to check out all the songs that are up on RBN and decide for yourself.

And yes, as davidshek said, The Romantics will be on RBN with "Talking In Your Sleep" (and hopefully more from their back catalogue if that one sells well), but that is literally only the tip of the iceberg. There will be songs that even you, master2uall, will recognize. You'll see once it launches.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited October 2009
    Just wanted to put this out there about RBN.

As a playtester a good chunk of the songs on there are by unknowns at the current time.

HOWEVER there is a good 50-60% of them, that despite me having ZERO clue about the band, are really good songs, and hell of a lot of fun to play in Rock Band.

Remember your favorite band?

Remember when you didn't have a damn clue who they were?

Same thing can and will happen here.

Point is every band was an unknown at one time.

I remember when people were pissed that Metallica was selling out their underground roots by releasing the Black album.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    Unless I see bands like guns n roses, def leppard, fall out boy, etc bringing songs to this, this is a waste of time and I hope it doesn't even come to ps3.
    I don't think you speak for the majority (or even a minority) of PS3 players with that statement.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited October 2009
    trg007;3154829 said:
    I don't think you speak for the majority (or even a minority) of PS3 players with that statement.
    I'm definitely excited to see what RBN brings to us PS3 players, I think there will be a decent amount of fun songs to buy if not more.
  • jellisjeniusjellisjenius Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Casto21;3154694 said:
    I have listened to pretty much all of the announced songs and there are at least 1-2 dozen that I will buy they day they come out. In my mind well-known does not always equal good music and unknown does not equal bad music.
    Likewise. I've gone through the announced bands/songs alphabetically and honestly, it's been a lot of fun. It seems I'm adding to my "interest list" at least as often as I'm cringing and going for the stop button.

Everyone pretty much knows the HMX bands...and there's something for everyone in that group. You have some pretty well-known, established bands like Asobi Seksu, Marillion, Scale the Summit, and Spock's Beard. The Subpop enthusiasm opens a huge world of possibilities. Etc, etc, and that's just the known stuff.

But I've also found some lesser-known gems like Amberian Dawn, The B.O.L.T., Bon Savants, and Machinae Supremacy. Chances are the OP and others asking these questions would find stuff they like too, if they took some time and had a reasonably open mind.

BTW, RBN is looking like a gold mine for prog lovers. Makes sense given how fun prog is to play in Rock Band.
    Of course I would like to see all sizes of bands use this service and I am sure with time they will. Bands and more specifically labels will see this as a viable outlet for exposure and money, but I do not expect them to make public announcements or come to a forum to announce that they are looking at it or working on it.

Anyway I love the way the RBN is shaping up.
    Again, I wholeheartedly agree.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Every band started out as an unknown.

RBN lets you catch the future on the ground floor. There *will* be songs/bands that literally get their breakthrough on RBN, and those of us who support the network will be there to see band history being made.

....Nice to hear about The Romantics, too....one of my favorite 80s bands. :)
  • BartenderjoeBartenderjoe Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Just wanted to know, cause so far really all I see is local or independent bands I have never heard of having songs coming out for this.

I guess there really is just no pleasing you.

Its ok to complain, but i have yet to see a post of yours not contain a complaint. Seriously, there is no need for you to open a thread everytime you don't like something.

And on topic, i know its been said thousands and thousands of times but every band you listed ( every band ever for that matter) was a local band no one had ever heard of. Why not go through and listen to the songs and see if there is anything that SOUNDS good.

You are a prime example of whats wrong with the music in todays society, you base your opinion on music off of the fact something is popular or not. Why not developing your OWN taste in music?
  • edited October 2009

Not trying to be negative...
    Sorry, but you have failed horribly. Try thinking positively for a change.
    edited October 2009
    I don't think master2uall was born with the ability to think positively about anything. :p
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    S1ckH4nds;3154807 said:
    You do realize, by the way, that every song will have a playable demo of either the first minute of the song or first third (whichever is shorter)?
    Actually I think it doesn't have to be at the beginning of the song. The author gets to pick what minute (or which 35%) to use (which is a Good Thing).
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    None.

Boo effing Hoo.

/Another stupid Master2noone thread.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited October 2009
    trg007;3155308 said:
    I don't think master2uall was born with the ability to think positively about anything. :p
    Well he used be positively convinced that when America is in the summer season so is every other country in the world. :rolleyes: The entire global southern hemisphere just facepalmed.
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3155330 said:
    Actually I think it doesn't have to be at the beginning of the song. The author gets to pick what minute (or which 35%) to use (which is a Good Thing).
    That's not correct; the author can pick the portion of the song that plays in the 30-second audio preview (the one that you just listen to). As far as the playable demos, it's always the first 1 minute or 35%, whichever is shorter.
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited October 2009
    I guess Im just a little down that I haven't gotten any 80's big hair bands in over a year and I am just frustrated. Sorry guys, didn't mean to offend. Just been having a bad month I guess and this game is about the only thing that takes my mind off of the crappy things happening lately in my life.

On a brighter note, I just went and took a weld test today, maybe things are looking up. Hopefully I get the job. I am just down a little.

Once again, sorry guys. I will try to keep my negativity to myself more.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Every band has an opportunity to be on the network and some big and influential bands have realized that and are using this opportunity to reach a new audience.

Example of "Big Bands"
    Marillion: Releasing the single from their latest album and hopefully more to come I really want to see The Great Escape or all of Brave and the network is perfect :D

Dream Theater: Releasing entire catalog probably dividing their epics and longer tracks looking forward to Awake and Images And Words :)

Scale The Summit: Unconfirmed what they are releasing hoping for The Great Plains and City In The Sky have gained some recent popularity and are growing in popularity as well

Spock's Beard: 4 confirmed D'Virgilio songs hoping from more from Feel Euphoria and maybe they might debut their new album on RBN very popular in the Prog. community and very awesome instrumentalists :D

WatchTower: One of the most influential 80s thrash metal bands extremely excited that they are making the network and Blotted Science as well helped pioneer the Technical metal genre :D

and those are just the announced bands wait for the bands who got into the closed beta and it will increase even more
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited October 2009
    and also not to impressed with all the metal and thrash coming, I hope it is not just that kind of music, cause i can not stand heavy metal. never a buy in my house.
    edited October 2009
    I can assure you there will be plenty of music in the RBN store that is not metal.
  • Ralphy2009Ralphy2009 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    davidshek;3154642 said:
    If there were ever a list of bands I never expected to show up in a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game again, The Romantics would have been right near the top. Wow. I'm not at all surprised to see their return being in the form of RBN though, considering they don't have to go directly through the people they sued in order to provide their music on the platform.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited October 2009
    master2uall;3155752 said:
    and also not to impressed with all the metal and thrash coming, I hope it is not just that kind of music, cause i can not stand heavy metal. never a buy in my house.
    I thought you were going to try to be less negative?

For the love of god man.