Paying to Export songs in Lego Rock Band?

Warrior TyWarrior Ty Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Okay, I understand why I had to pay money to export songs from Rock Band 1, since it doesn't come with a code and if they didn't charge people, then anyone could rent the game and get the songs for 400microsoft points.

I've bought a couple of the track packs, and they all came with codes to transfer their songs to Rock Band and Rock Band 2.

I read the forums concerning Lego Rock Band, and I have a few questions.

A) Why on earth would I have to pay 800 microsoft points to export songs from Lego Rock Band to Rock Band 2 when the game comes with a code.

B) Why can't I play "Teen" rated songs in Lego Rock Band if I already own the songs from Rock Band 1 & 2 and ACDC? I'm 22 and my XBOX Live account is an adult account.

C) Why would it matter if a kid played any of the "Teen" rated songs? They're completely censored. Furthermore, if the kids parents already bought them Rock Band 1 or 2, then they already have been exposed to these songs.

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    A. Because a $50 game plus a $10 export is the standard $60 price.

Because Harmonix didn't make it and Traveler's Tales wants a bigger cut.

B. Because it's not made for the 22 year old playing solo, it's made for the 35 year old not wanting his child to hear some naughty things from what he's downloaded on his RB2.

Because you own RB2, so you can already play them.

C. Because your opinion =/= everyone's.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Warrior Ty;3155407 said:
    A) Why on earth would I have to pay 800 microsoft points to export songs from Lego Rock Band to Rock Band 2 when the game comes with a code.
    You dont have to. So if it bothers you so much dont do it.
    Warrior Ty;3155407 said:
    B) Why can't I play "Teen" rated songs in Lego Rock Band if I already own the songs from Rock Band 1 & 2 and ACDC? I'm 22 and my XBOX Live account is an adult account.
    That is probably the dumbest question ive read today.
    Warrior Ty;3155407 said:
    C) Why would it matter if a kid played any of the "Teen" rated songs? They're completely censored. Furthermore, if the kids parents already bought them Rock Band 1 or 2, then they already have been exposed to these songs.
    Thats the 2nd dumbest. But I will respond. LRB is E, not T. Therefore you only play E songs on the game. Guess what.......just because cuss words are censored, that doesnt mean themes are.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Warrior Ty;3155407 said:
    That's up to you. If you don't feel it's worth the $10, then don't export, and choose to play the songs just within Lego Rock Band. Simple.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited October 2009
    A) The cost could be buried into the initial cost of the game costing the buyer more at the store. Not everyone owns Rock Band 2 to have that ability to export. Some people will buy Lego:RB and only play Lego:RB, so why should they be expected to pay an export fee that they're not getting to use?

B) The Game is rated "E" for everyone. This is also probably why there is rumoured to be no online play.

C) It goes further than profanity. Lyrical content and themes play a big part in this; ie. Hammer Smashed Face
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    You had to pay $$ for RB1 because of re-licensing, not just because there was no code.

Track Packs are just that - intended to be track packs, imported into RB2. That's why the on-disc game features are limited.

LRB was developed to be it's own separate game. If you want to play them in RB2 you have to pay an extra $10 for re-licensing again. Also, LRB is only $50 so if you include the $10 fee - it's the same price as a "normal" X360/PS3 game, including the export.
  • Warrior TyWarrior Ty Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Well I knew it was greed all along on "A."

You're right, I didn't think about "B" from that angle. If you're married with kids and if you play video games with your kids then you don't want them listening to your music. Much easier to hide your copy of Rock Band 2 from them than to hide the XBOX 360 and instruments from them.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited October 2009
    Warrior Ty;3155435 said:
    No, it's really not. Stop being stupid.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited October 2009
    Warrior Ty;3155435 said:

You're right, I didn't think about "B" from that angle. If you're married with kids and if you play video games with your kids then you don't want them listening to your music. Much easier to hide your copy of Rock Band 2 from them than to hide the XBOX 360 and instruments from them.
    It's not greed, it's business. HMX, EA, MTV etc are not making games for the purpose of taking a loss.
  • edited October 2009
    Point A relates directly to people who rent, borrow, or resell the game for exclusive purpose of using the export. This has been a widely discussed and used strategy for obtain Rock Band 1's songs.

And while the developers thus far have been a good sport about it, they aren't going to continue to be if this mechanism causes them to lose out on huge swaths of their legitimate sales. For every person who rents and exports, or exports and sells their copy... that's a lost sale to them. And last I checked, the developers aren't in the market for giving away their content for free.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited October 2009
    Because they don't like when people are poor pants who rent and dump.
  • edited October 2009
    Flawless;3155472 said:
    Because they don't like when people are poor pants who rent and dump.
    But I want to be able to get 90% of the content at 10% of the cost. :rolleyes:
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Apples;3155456 said:
    Point A relates directly to people who rent, borrow, or resell the game for exclusive purpose of using the export. This has been a widely discussed and used strategy for obtain Rock Band 1's songs.

And while the developers thus far have been a good sport about it, they aren't going to continue to be if this mechanism causes them to lose out on huge swaths of their legitimate sales. For every person who rents and exports, or exports and sells their copy... that's a lost sale to them. And last I checked, the developers aren't in the market for giving away their content for free.
    That's exactly it. The big difference with the RB1 export is that this time, the export is available right from launch, when the game in in full commercial cycle. RB1 sales were pretty much over by the time RB2 arrived, and there was no real loss.

In the end it doesn't really change much. Instead of renting/exporting for a total of 5 + 10 = $15, you just need to buy it, export, and sell back, which is something like 50 + 10 - 30 = $30

$30 for 45 songs is still a bargain. Well it would be if the song selection was any good, but that's another story.
    edited October 2009
    Hey Apples? Do you know when more companies are going to start producing games for XBOX360 that yield avatar rewards for achievements met while playing them? Rumor has it that only Splosion Man and Rock Band Beatles have it.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Warrior Ty;3155509 said:
    Hey Apples? Do you know when more companies are going to start producing games for XBOX360 that yield avatar rewards for achievements met while playing them? Rumor has it that only Splosion Man and Rock Band Beatles have it.
    TBRB has none, except the avatar shirt you get for free with a code in the game that not everyone got.
    edited October 2009
    Elfreako, I don't sell my old games. I hang on to them. You never know when you'll need them for something.
  • edited October 2009
    I don't have any specific knowledge to your question. But generally once a feature opens up for one developer to use, others have an ability to follow through as well.

For example, there are tons of games now with achievement-unlockable gamerpics where once there were few. It just took a bit of time for others to catch on and use that ability.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks SonicRocker. So I guess only Splosion man has Avatar Awards
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Apples;3155526 said:
    I don't have any specific knowledge to your question. But generally once a feature opens up for one developer to use, others have an ability to follow through as well.

For example, there are tons of games now with achievement-unlockable gamerpics where once there were few. It just took a bit of time for others to catch on and use that ability.
    In all honesty, I'd hate to start up the FHM, but I'd expect a few in RB3.

(In all honesty, winning an avatar prop RB instrument relative to an ultimate challenge when beating the ultimate challenge would be awesome)
    edited October 2009
    Thank you for your time Apples. Guess its just a waiting game for now.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3155516 said:
    TBRB has none, except the avatar shirt you get for free with a code in the game that not everyone got.
    Hey has anyone complained about not getting t-shirts for their Miis yet? Clearly Wii users are getting screwed beyond reason.
    edited October 2009
    elfreako;3155563 said:
    Hey has anyone complained about not getting t-shirts for their Miis yet? Clearly Wii users are getting screwed beyond reason.
    Miis have like, five colors of t-shirts to choose from.
    edited October 2009
    Elfreako, Nintendo hasn't given North American gamers any notable updates to the Mii Channel since that one that lets you link Personal Trainer Fitness on your DS to your wii so you can use your Mii.

They initially stated that they might add more Mii parts, but they never did.

On another note, your Mii's clothes are influenced by the game you are playing. So if there is a mode where you can use your Mii in Rock Band Beatles, then its up to Harmonix to design the clothes your Mii will wear in their game.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited October 2009
    So, what's the deal. Give me a straight answer.

Can I or can I not rent and export LEGO Rock Band, or do I have to actually buy it?
  • edited October 2009
    Warrior Ty;3155435 said:
    To clarify, the licensing process is different for on disc songs, DLC songs, songs cleared for export, etc. I wish all songs were free to license, but unfortunately that's not the case.

And as many other posters have pointed out, the $10 export fee is optional. If you'd rather not pay it please feel free to enjoy the game on disc.

Remember when you could only play games on discs (or *gasp* cartridges)? I think discussions like this provide an interesting commentary on the status of export in video games. How many games currently offer export? How many games offer export for free? How many games / titles / developers regularly include export features with the intent of unifying the world of those games? Do you think export will be a key feature in the future of gaming?
    edited October 2009
    HMXHenry;3155592 said:
    To clarify, the licensing process is different for on disc songs, DLC songs, songs cleared for export, etc. I wish all songs were free to license, but unfortunately that's not the case.
    Your export description for LRB is a tad wordy.

Does it work like RB1 or the 20 free?
  • white-tiwhite-ti Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    surely, technically speaking, if you were the first to rent the particular copy of a game you could export it. But why not just buy the game, It looks great! :D
  • cmenearcmenear Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Warrior Ty;3155435 said:
    Much easier to hide your copy of Rock Band 2 from them than to hide the XBOX 360 and instruments from them.
    Right next to your playboys.
    HMXHenry;3155592 said:

Remember when you could only play games on discs (or *gasp* cartridges)? I think discussions like this provide an interesting commentary on the status of export in video games. How many games currently offer export? How many games offer export for free? How many games / titles / developers regularly include export features with the intent of unifying the world of those games? Do you think export will be a key feature in the future of gaming?
    Digital distribution will be the future of gaming.

I can't wait for my $49 annual subscription to RB:XM so I can stream DLC to my console for the purpose of playing. Unlimited song selection, no HD space to consume. Can search for online partners that have the same subscription level I do! WIN:WIN:WIN!!!!
    edited October 2009
    Pretty sure only music games offer the ability to export content, and to my knowledge Harmonix was the first to do so.

Lego Rock band has alot of features that are exclusive to it, so I don't know why anyone would sell it to EBgames after exporting the songs. If its ability to customize the tour van and band room is anything like the editor in Lego Racers for N64 then I will be very happy.

I for one like cartridges. They last forever. (Aside from the battery backed up memory. However my Super Mario World cartridge still hasn't lost my save data.)
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited October 2009
    HMXHenry;3155592 said:
    Do you think export will be a key feature in the future of gaming?
    It better be. I wish L4D2 would have it. I'd have a preorder on it if it did. RB is the first game I can think of that had it but now I am constantly wondering if new games will be able to get something from the old games. It's like Stop N Swap or the game transfer in Golden Sun but better.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited October 2009
    I cant wait for the day we go back to them. Discs are a pain.

And look at how much memory you can put on something the size of a cornflake nowadays.