Yet another clueless question about RBN, this time concerning covers

instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Needless to say, I am very excited about the idea of Rock Band Network. I've heard a variety of songs that are coming to RBN, and can't wait to give them a try. What excites me equally is the idea of being able to play through a number of Sub-pop classics.

Something that confuses me is the "no cover" rule. I've glanced around a bit, and found this.

"Covers will not be allowed to be submitted for RBN. We made this decision in order to simplify the process by which we can assure ourselves that the submitter of the song owns all the necessary rights."

However, if I'm not mistaken, most artists must gain the rights to use a song when covering it. So, if a cover under a major label were to be released, would that still fall under the rule? A good example would be "Love Buzz", by Shocking Blue, and covered by Nirvana. Would Bleach, assuming it is made available, be an incomplete album because of this rule?

At least, the above example seems more legit than recording your own homemade cover version.

I apologize, since I feel that this has definitely been asked before. I guess I'm only asking this since I think Love Buzz could be the most fun song from Bleach :)

Comments