Error: Supposedly missing MIDI tracks

ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Hi All-

I'm using Mac Reaper, but when I couldn't solve this problem, I went ahead and exported my MIDI from the windows reaper and had the exact same error to rule out some Mac specific issue.

I export my MIDI using the Export Project Midi menu item. I tell it to export the whole project, I export to a multi track midi file, I have tried it with and without the embedded beat, and I just cannot figure out this error.

I saw in the Mac docs the warning about the tiny fade in that Reaper might put in front of midi files that wrecks the name, and have triple checked that there is no fade at the start of and of the midi tracks.

The tracks were named like "PART GUITAR - rb temp.mid" and I thought that might be the issue, so I renamed them to just like "PART GUITAR". No love!

The track name is the name that is visible in the main window track display, right??? (see attached screenshot)

Any help appreciated, I hauled my authoring system 2 hours to my friends' place to show them my newly authored song and so far I am a big loser :)

Thank you

Build started at 10:43 PM.
Reading the archive
Project Compiler: Reading project '\\.psf\Home\Desktop\My Project\my project magma.rbproj'...
Project Compiler: Entering Phase 1 of 6...
Metadata Compiler: Starting...
Metadata Compiler: Done.
Project Compiler: Entering Phase 2 of 6...
MIDI Compiler: Starting...
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: z:/desktop/my project/renders/my project win.mid: Track EVENTS required but not found
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: z:/desktop/my project/renders/my project win.mid: Track PART DRUMS required but not found
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: z:/desktop/my project/renders/my project win.mid: Track PART BASS required but not found
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: z:/desktop/my project/renders/my project win.mid: Track PART GUITAR required but not found
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: z:/desktop/my project/renders/my project win.mid: Track PART VOCALS required but not found
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: z:/desktop/my project/renders/my project win.mid: Halting compilation due to missing and/or extraneous MIDI tracks
MIDI Compiler: Done.
ERROR: Project Compiler: Midi compiler failed.
Build ended at 10:44 PM.

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    The track name is an event that should be placed at the beginning of each MIDI track. It should be the event type "Track Name".

Let me ask you something: did you start with the RBNTemplate or the RBN Blank Template? You should use the former, as it has these already placed there for you.
    460 x 372 - 23K
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    You need a text event (of the specific 'Track Name' type) at 1.1.00 of each of these midi tracks. The name for each should be exactly what magma tells you is missing (PART GUITAR, BEAT, etc)

This should fix that up for ya.

EDIT: That's what I get for opening 10 threads at once :p
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Thank you both SO MUCH!

I am pretty sure I started with the correct template (it had the midi tracks already there, with the notes at the start), but I will verify it when I start my next song.

Either I missed this requirement in the docs, or it should be added to the required midi track events section :)

Again, thank you!

I am now past that error and I have some more to fix up, but I have never been happier to see errors!
    edited October 2009
    OK the next one making me pull my hair out is several like this:

Misaligned vocal note at 19:3:420 (expected at 19:3:418)

My first problem is when I go into Reaper, there is nothing at 19:3:418. I have about 7 of these errors and none of them correspond to any notes. There are notes near them, but they are perfectly aligned with their lyric events (if I move the note, the lyric moves too).

Then I have another type of problem:
    Missing vocal note at 19:3:437 for lyric 't'

There is no lyric t!! There was a lyric t, but I replaced it with "tee" because I thought maybe the single character lyric was messing it up. So now I have this lyric that I can't even see?

I'm dying here :(

Thanks for reading!
  • buckaroobartbuckaroobart Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Check out the midi track in the event list (View -> Event List). That will really lay out exactly what is in that track, event wise.
    edited October 2009
    I recommend doing the following:

1. Put your lyrics into a text file, formatting them the same way as you would enter them, including the dashes, plus signs for any slides, pound signs for talkies etc. There just needs to be a space between each lyric; line breaks don't matter.
    2. Delete all your current lyrics in the MIDI editor.
    3. Highlight all your vocal notes (but NOT the phrase markers or Overdrive markers) and run the "Import lyrics for selected notes from file" function from the Actions menu.
    4. Check the lyrics that it added to make sure they all match up with the proper notes. If there's a mistake and some of them are off, you can just Undo it and go back and edit the text file and re-import.

Using this function eliminates any of those misaligned vocal note errors. I never recommend entering lyrics manually one-by-one.

Also, make sure you have that "RBN Friendly MIDI Editor Settings" option enabled in your Preferences menu.

EDIT - You can delete all your lyric events by selecting the first one, scroll to the last one and hold Shift and click the last one, then delete.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Note also that "Misaligned vocal note" often refers to an *overlap* between two successive notes. Make sure the end of each note happens before the start of the next one! This can also cause a cascade of following "Missing Lyric" messages, but if you fix the first overlap then they'll disappear too.

Also, another solution for a variant of the "missing part tracks" problem: make sure that the track in question is not *muted* in Reaper! (that's the red 'm' button) You might turn off these tracks momentarily to solo other things you're working on, but they need to be "live" to export correctly.

- m
    edited October 2009
    Thanks folks for the great tips. I did utilize the lyric import, but I didn't know about selecting the vocal notes. I will be sure to try that. So it's possible that my phrase notes might have been interfering I guess.

It was strange because when I last worked on the file, I could have sworn that the "+" lyric events were all in place at the slide notes, but when I reopened it (when I was having the trouble), almost all of those "+" lyric events were gone, and if I tried to add them, it caused additional magma errors.

I really like that tip about the midi event list. I haven't looked at that before, but it seems a great place to see every single midi event without gui glitches possibly hiding things.

Thanks TRG007 for that last tip about how to select the lyric events in order to delete them!

One thing I thought of that might have been misleading me with the time location of the affected notes is that my midi track consists of 2 glued items...maybe that is fouling something up? I will delete those and paste them all into a new one.

I'm sure I will figure it out with all your tips, thank you very much.
    edited October 2009
    OK that midi event list is great. I have found weirdness there so I will be definitely doing some cleanup.

The weirdest thing that jumped out at me was that several of my lyrics (mostly the + events) turned into some other kind of FF note parameter (see screenshot). I don't know how or when exactly this happened . Thanks again for the great tips, I'm so thankful.

At 2:30 last night I did finally omit the vocal part just to be able to upload the rest of the parts to show my friends, and I must say that even with my vocal failure, my geeky pride was at an all time high as my friends were playing my own authored bass and guitar parts! It was a serious thrill!! (such a geek)
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Ah, forehead-smacking moment here...

I just remembered that I'd run into something like your mystery "lyric 't'" before. It's caused by using the lyric import on text that includes "smart quotes", rather than a 'standard ASCII' apostrophe.

Do a search and replace and they'll turn out fine.

- m
    edited October 2009
    Yeah! In fact I did have some smart quotes in my lyrics!

They imported into the text events funny, so I repaired those, but they must have left behind these other weird events/notes.

A great thing to watch out for, for sure!
    edited October 2009
    edited October 2009
    Yes, I did use the Mac "Notepad" called TextEdit -- it defaults to dumb quotes. But I had copied the lyrics from the artist's provided pdf :)