WTF, US Only?!?

Rhystic_1Rhystic_1 Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Yesterday I found out that the documentation and the plugins were already available so I started working on a song by an Indie artist. Today I found out that you must be resident in the U.S. to submit the song (I'm from Italy). WTF? Why is there such a limitation?

Comments

• ScapegoatScapegoat Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Red tape and legal mumbo jumbo.

You come up with a system that allows the sharing of profits for residents of all countries.
  • mysticnejimysticneji Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    From what I understand other countries can still turn in songs, they just have to go through one of the charting companies. Like Rhythm Authors. I could be wrong on this though but I'm pretty sure that's what you have to do.
  • Rhystic_1Rhystic_1 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I checked the link and I couldn't find anything about this. Furthermore, the song I want to author is from an indie artist, without a label. And according to one of HMX employees.
    To be specific, to submit a song, you must be a resident of the U.S. Where the band is from has nothing to do with it.

Of course unsigned bands can submit songs! You have to own the rights to the material. Unsigned bands will probably have to do less work to make sure their material is in the clear.
    So as you can see, the FILE must be sent from the US, but the ARTIST must not. It's nonsense. And because the artist is unsigned, as HMX said, they'll have to do less work to be in the clear ;)
  • grim88grim88 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Do you have permission from the band to use their song? If not, it doesk't really matter.
    edited October 2009
    Yes. In fact, my brother is the guitarist / producer of the song :D
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    RBN is built on top of the XNA infrastructure. The XNA system has certain limitations in it based on legal jargon I don't really know or have the ability to explain. The short end of it is that this is not HMX' fault; it's not really anyone's fault. There is just no system in place to disperse royalties to most countries right now, and as a result for the time being RBN submission are limited.

So yes, you won't be able to submit the song yourself (yet, hopefully someday down the line more countries will be included), but your brother's band can submit their song to one of the many authoring companies or independent authors that are out there, and they can do the work / submission for the band.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    socrstopr;3162753 said:
    RBN is built on top of the XNA infrastructure. The XNA system has certain limitations in it based on legal jargon I don't really know or have the ability to explain. The short end of it is that this is not HMX' fault; it's not really anyone's fault. There is just no system in place to disperse royalties to most countries right now, and as a result for the time being RBN submission are limited.
    Actually, that's not exactly accurate. XNA does, in fact, have a pretty robust system for distributing payments to other countries around the world. The main reason for this limitation, at least at first, is that copyright/legal issues are extremely complicated for any User Generated Content, and when you start adding multiple sets of international laws about Copyright and Data Collection into the mix it turns into an extremely challenging proposition.

We are trying to roll this out to additional countries as soon as is practical, but it's not going to be in the near future, as there are some serious issues we need to work out first.
    edited October 2009
    HMXMister_Game;3162757 said:
    Actually, that's not exactly accurate. XNA does, in fact, have a pretty robust system for distributing payments to other countries around the world. The main reason for this limitation, at least at first, is that copyright/legal issues are extremely complicated for any User Generated Content, and when you start adding multiple sets of international laws about Copyright and Data Collection into the mix it turns into an extremely challenging proposition.

We are trying to roll this out to additional countries as soon as is practical, but it's not going to be in the near future, as there are some serious issues we need to work out first.
    Thanks for your reply Mister_Game.

So if I contact, let's say, Rhythm Authors, they can publish the song for me and still get payed?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    Rhystic_1;3162866 said:
    So if I contact, let's say, Rhythm Authors, they can publish the song for me and still get payed?
    That is correct.
  • Ten0101Ten0101 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    If you're planning to do the authoring yourself Rhystic_1, prepare to be disappointed when you try to audition your track if you don't have an NTSC XBox 360 and a US copy of Rock Band 2; Magma doesn't yet support any other versions of the game and I haven't been able to get an answer as to when it will.

Hopefully sooner than when we can actually submit songs, as I can't see why the licensing issues would apply to being able to test out your own tracks or peer review others.
    edited October 2009
    Ten0101;3163305 said:
    If you're planning to do the authoring yourself Rhystic_1, prepare to be disappointed when you try to audition your track if you don't have an NTSC XBox 360 and a US copy of Rock Band 2; Magma doesn't yet support any other versions of the game and I haven't been able to get an answer as to when it will.

Hopefully sooner than when we can actually submit songs, as I can't see why the licensing issues would apply to being able to test out your own tracks or peer review others.
    HMX always had troubles with Europeans :D
    I still can't believe they managed to release TB:RB internationally the same day :D
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    HMXMister_Game;3162757 said:

D'oh! I think this is more along the lines of what I was thinking in my head, but it is definitely not what I posted, thanks for clearing that up, and apologies to anyone I misguided. I'll stop responding to things I don't fully understand :)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I'll stop responding to things I don't fully understand
    Please don't do that! I'll take your best shot guesses any day :)