tempo mapping AGGHHHHH!

RONIN1RONIN1 Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
tempo is all over the place, should i manually change the BPM or should i just get the time signature in the right place and not worry about the BPM:confused:?

Comments

• CharronCharron Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    RONIN1;3163554 said:
    tempo is all over the place, should i manually change the BPM or should i just get the time signature in the right place and not worry about the BPM:confused:?
    Here's what worked for me.

First, tap along with the song and get the general BPM guess. (I use TapIt on my iPod, but the means don't matter.) Enter that manually (middle bar, to the right), then start tabbing to the beginning of each measure and pressing Q. It may take a little tweaking, but it's very quick and relatively accurate. If you don't have drums at the start, though, you may be in trouble. I'm starting with a song that has a cymbal lead-in, so that makes it even easier, but surely it can be done without that.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Try this method: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=14737

It works well if you have variable BPM (such as a live recording).
  • MrOwn1MrOwn1 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Charron;3163962 said:
    Here's what worked for me.

First, tap along with the song and get the general BPM guess. (I use TapIt on my iPod, but the means don't matter.) Enter that manually (middle bar, to the right), then start tabbing to the beginning of each measure and pressing Q. It may take a little tweaking, but it's very quick and relatively accurate. If you don't have drums at the start, though, you may be in trouble. I'm starting with a song that has a cymbal lead-in, so that makes it even easier, but surely it can be done without that.
    Sometimes just finding out the approximate BPM and going with that works too.
  • X Bad Daddy XX Bad Daddy X Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Charron;3163962 said:

First, tap along with the song and get the general BPM guess. (I use TapIt on my iPod, but the means don't matter.) Enter that manually (middle bar, to the right)
    Also - you can left-click with the beat in Reaper's BPM window while the song is playing and that will give you an approximate BPM automatically.
  • CharronCharron Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    X Bad Daddy X;3184677 said:
    Also - you can left-click with the beat in Reaper's BPM window while the song is playing and that will give you an approximate BPM automatically.
    Did not know that. Even better! (Though I'm sticking with what works for me. :p )
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    MrOwn1;3182901 said:
    Sometimes just finding out the approximate BPM and going with that works too.
    That's what I did, for the most part. Went through the song measure-by-measure, then approximated the tempos of consecutive measures that were pretty close to one another (working with the guitar track, which can be a little sloppy; the drums can be edited to line up so it's always exactly on the beat, as well as the MIDI)

To anyone who has been doing tempo changes manually without tabbing to each peak: BEWARE THIS METHOD! So many times I've had to go through and tweak every bpm after a tiny shift in an early measure knocked every following tempo change out of line. It was even worse when I somehow had a tempo change on a 4a, the last sixteenth note in a measure, and it knocked EVERYTHING early by that sixteenth note.
  • MrOwn1MrOwn1 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    DavyinaToga;3187733 said:
    That's what I did, for the most part. Went through the song measure-by-measure, then approximated the tempos of consecutive measures that were pretty close to one another (working with the guitar track, which can be a little sloppy; the drums can be edited to line up so it's always exactly on the beat, as well as the MIDI)

To anyone who has been doing tempo changes manually without tabbing to each peak: BEWARE THIS METHOD! So many times I've had to go through and tweak every bpm after a tiny shift in an early measure knocked every following tempo change out of line. It was even worse when I somehow had a tempo change on a 4a, the last sixteenth note in a measure, and it knocked EVERYTHING early by that sixteenth note.
    For some reason, all of the songs that I've charted so far NEVER change tempo, not even slightly. Maybe Lemon Demon just has a good drummer. Actually, it's just one person, so......
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009