Tiering?

vulcanjedi42vulcanjedi42 Road Warrior
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I'm pretty sure no one else has asked this question, but I'll preemptively apologize just in case. :D

Who is in charge of deciding tiers for RBN songs? Do the people charting the songs do this themselves, is it added in peer review or what? I'm wondering because I feel like I have little-to-no idea where to start on this sort of thing, especially on vocals, which can be extremely subjective.

Comments

• whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited October 2009
    The charter would be the one to tier the song, playtesters can reject it/mark it down for being mistiered.
  • vulcanjedi42vulcanjedi42 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Ah, thanks. Do we have any rules or suggestions or anything for this yet?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    There are no specific rules; it's all subjective. You can use the existing songs in the game as a guide. Since RBN songs won't appear in random setlists in Tour mode, it's not too big of a deal, but reviewers will let you know if something seems much harder or easier than your indicated difficulties.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I have a question regarding tiering as well. I know that that official RB dlc tiering is assigned a number value of some sort. That's why there are, for example, high tiered impossible songs and low tiered impossible songs. RBN just seems to have a generic "put it in one of the 7 tiers" option (which is completely expected).

How will the RBN songs show up under the difficulty sorting? Will they be low ranked in their respective tiers in alphabetical order (show up on the top of the tier list)?

A question about such a trivial thing, but I am curious nonetheless.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    There's no way for an author to specify that exact difficulty number (and that would never work, seeing as songs are all coming from different people), so I imagine RBN songs will just appear alphabetically within their difficulty category in the quickplay list.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    trg is correct as usual. We normally hand-tune the difficulties for on-disc and DLC songs within each tier. However, this is pretty much impossible for the RBN songs, so they will all appear in a group at the beginning (I think) of each tier.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    trg007;3165353 said:
    There's no way for an author to specify that exact difficulty number (and that would never work, seeing as songs are all coming from different people), so I imagine RBN songs will just appear alphabetically within their difficulty category in the quickplay list.
    HMXMister_Game;3165898 said:
    trg is correct as usual. We normally hand-tune the difficulties for on-disc and DLC songs within each tier. However, this is pretty much impossible for the RBN songs, so they will all appear in a group at the beginning (I think) of each tier.
    That's what I thought. Thanks a lot.