Abbey Road recommendations?

MistressDMistressD Rising Star
edited October 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Hey everybody, got a question for ya. I'm only 28, so what I know from The Beatles came from my parents, the radio and the game. I'd like to add some dlc this week, but I'm not familiar with the "Abbey Road" tracks. With part of my $20 PSN card going towards Queen as well, this means I can afford 4/5 songs for The Beatles. Does anyone have any strong recommendations for which tracks they could be? To help, I'm a vocalist and John Lennon fan. Look forward to see your picks, thanks in advance; I've never asked this before!

PS: "Abbey Road" comes out Thurs. for PS3 not today, right?

Comments

• chaopolischaopolis Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Personally, I'd say get a few more bucks and get the whole album...

BUT... if you HAVE to choose...

- Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    - Oh! Darling
    - Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
  • idlephaseidlephase Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Whatever you decide, know that the only way you get the B-Side medley is to buy the whole album.
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Here's your problem and your opportunity. Your easy best bet as a Lennon fan is going to be the medley BUT... as it stands now, it looks like the medley songs are only available if you buy the whole album for $17.

My advice would be to do it. All the songs are good, and the medley is going to be one of the most challenging parts of the game.

IF you don't want to go that route, you might be stuck with only having Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Oh Darling and Because to download. The good news there? Those are all spectacularly fun vocal songs. Because is a gorgeous three-part harmony choral number, Oh Darling is an awesome McCartney howler (think Don't Let Me Down), and Maxwell's Silver Hammer is... well, just demented.

But again, if you can possibly do it, get an extra card and spring for the whole medley. It's worth it simply for the Polythene Pam/She Came In Through The Bathroom Window song, but it's really epic and an example of how The Beatles were such skilled musicians and such a tight band that they took nine unfinished songs and turned them into something awesome.

This is coming from another expert vocalist, by the way. First thing I'm doing tomorrow morning is trying my damndest to pull off Paul McCartney's vocal acrobatics in Oh Darling.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    You should know, then, with the exception of Here Comes the Sun, Because, and Her Majesty, that the entire second side (referring to vinyl, those old records) of the album is a medley, different songs that all sync to each other to make one big piece of music.

Harmonix has decided to stay faithful to the artists original intention and make these playable as the way they were meant to be heard. So, in other words, you will have the option to buy the songs not on the medley, Maxwells Silver Hammer, Oh Darling!, Because, and Her Majesty (which is less than 30 seconds, but should be fun on guitar). The only song prominently featuring John Lennon not in the medley is Because (great song on vocals).

Hopefully I didn't make that too confusing. However, the medley is definitely one of the Beatles best accomplishments musically, and definitely weren't the buy.
  • WalterrrrWalterrrr Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    The Beatles are one of the progenitors of the concept album and I think their work shines best together. I believe the B-side medley is the best example of this, unless we'll be able to play Sgt. Pepper's straight through unbroken. I am getting both of the packs as I am sure the Queen tracks I haven't heard will be worth it for the price.
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I'm sure we sound annoying, since you asked "Which songs should I get?" and you hear nothing but "Get all of them!!!"

But speaking for myself (and many others), I wouldn't tell you this if I didn't honestly think YOU as an individual would enjoy it more. This isn't quite Disturbd, but Dream Theater did a live cover of the last part of the medley that I'm sure you can find for yourself.
  • BustaUppaBustaUppa Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Hahah yeah, not to make this whole thread sound like a broken record, but you seriously should just get the whole album. It's worth it based purely on musical merit - but besides that, it's a rare situation where you won't be able to just buy the rest of the tracks later. If you buy some tracks now and then decide you want more, you'll be forced to re-buy some content that you already have.

In this situation you'd be better off sacrificing a Queen song or two and just going for the whole Abbey Road pack. With the Queen songs you could always just buy more later, as there is nothing "exclusive" tied to the full pack.
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Hey thanks guys! I know the entire album is awesome, but my money situation sucks, as anyone who's going to college as well can relate too! I may get all the songs some day, but for now I'll stick to just a few today. I got some good ideas from you guys and as soon as I log out here, I'm going to start downloading. ;) Once more, thanks to everyone who answered, I can't wait to try this out! :D

And btw, I am old enough to remember vinyl! :p
  • idlephaseidlephase Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    The problem with it is that you can't get all of the songs without the full purchase. If you buy piecemeal, you can only get 3 singles. Skip Queen until you can afford it :)
  • RockyminRockymin Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    instantdeath999;3168211 said:
    You should know, then, with the exception of Here Comes the Sun, Because, and Her Majesty, that the entire second side (referring to vinyl, those old records) of the album is a medley, different songs that all sync to each other to make one big piece of music.

Actually, Her Majesty is part of the medley. Many people have posted how they got thrown on the medley when they didn't realize it was coming lol.
    Anyway MistressD, there's only 3 individual songs to download, Oh Darling, Because and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. You have to buy the whole album to get everything else.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I would just get the whole album. I didn't particularly any of the singles, but I loved the medley. And the only way to get that (on xbox/ps3) is to get the album.
  • bek_____2bek_____2 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Rockymin;3176569 said:
    Actually, Her Majesty is part of the medley. Many people have posted how they got thrown on the medley when they didn't realize it was coming lol.
    in the game, but not on the album (it is also not one medley, but two. notice the pause before golden slumbers)
    idlephase;3176539 said:
    The problem with it is that you can't get all of the songs without the full purchase. If you buy piecemeal, you can only get 3 singles. Skip Queen until you can afford it :)
    or wait with abbey road.