Any way to do strange tuplets on Reaper?

moracnoymoracnoy Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Obviously you can do triplets, but what if your music had quintuplets, or 11-tuplets? Is there any way to enter custom note values or anything like that? I don't personally have any music like that, but I thought of it because I was looking at "The Black Page" by Frank Zappa, and it has things like 16th note quintuplets nested inside of triplets, and right after that, 32nd note 11-tuplets. Any suggestions?

Comments

• JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    If you select a note and press ctrl+f2 (or right click the note and select "note properties"), it will bring up a note properties window. From there, you can modify the position of the note to 1/100ths of a beat (which should be accurate enough for whatever your doing). It's a little tedious, but you could always just make a bar of whatever rhythm you need, and copy/paste it whenever it comes up again.
  • SHPhr34kSHPhr34k Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    There certainly is! When you're in the MIDI editor, at the top of the window you will see a grid snap, which usually has 1/16 or something in a similar fashion. You can normally use the drop down to select common items, but you can also type in a custom one like 1/28 for septuplets in a single beat, or any other denomination. This will alter the grid and note length at the same time. If you enter a note and would like it to be an absolute specific length, you can select the note and hit CTRL+F2 to bring up the Note Properties window and change everything about it there, including length.
  • moracnoymoracnoy Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Awesome, thanks guys!
  • nothingsnothings Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    You can also turn off grid snapping entirely (press the magnet icon, or alt-S I think).

Also, while moving a note, dragging it with the mouse, hold down shift and it'll stop snapping to the grid as long as you have shift held.

Another trick is to "timestretch" a set of notes. Say you want to do a 5 against 3 tuplet, so you have 5 notes in the space of 3, and then a 6th that falls on the following 4th beat.

Place down 6 16th-long notes on every 8th (or whatever, the next time unit longer than your target timing on the grid. Select all of them (right-drag). If the first note doesn't start in the right place, click and drag one of the notes and they'll all move; position so the first note is in exactly the right place.

Now, if you click and drag the right edge of a note, you can resize all of them at once (they'll all get longer and shorter, but they won't change position). But if you use the correct key-combo... I think it's control (but maybe it's alt), if you hold that key down and then drag the right edge of the rightmost note, you'll grow and shrink the whole set including the spacing between the notes.

That's all very wordy, but it's very trivial. To do a 9:8 tuplet over the course of the measure, put down 9 eighth notes from the start of the measure to the next one, right drag to select them all, and then control (or alt?) right-click-and-drag the right edge of the last note until it's in the right place (and all the others will move as well). It's trivial and fast and you don't have to mess with the modal grid-setting state.

(I used it to author the roughly 8:15 tuplet in the solo of the one song I've authored; for me the important part wasn't to get the tuplet to some particular number, just to match what was in the song, and the dragging method lets you trial-and-error more easily.)

Regardless of which of these methods you do, you're going to probably want to end up with a regular 8th/16th ish grid for the rest of your editing. If you ever come back and want to tweak the pitches but not the timing of the notes, you have to be careful that things don't resnap to the wrong place. The easy solution is to click the note and then use the up/down arrows to change its pitch. (I believe if you turn off snapping it's reasonably well-behaved when dragging with the mouse, but you still might accidentally change the timing.)