Kick - mono file
Snare - Stereo File
Toms/Cym- Stereo File
Playable Guitar - Stereo File
backing Guitar - Stereo File
Bass - Mono File
Vocals Verb - Stereo File
Dry Vox - Stereo File

I have them all lined up in reaper sounding good all set to the tempo of the track. I have all the premade tracks from the template there as well but I cant figure out how to start programming midi also I cant get the macro to run from the guides to make all the waveforms bigger/level where next?

Comments

• RockAuthorsRockAuthors Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Hey CrAkD, it sounds like you loaded the RBN template no problem. You need to open up the Midi Editor so you can start charting. Right-click on the midi track you want to chart, then select Open Items in Editor - Open Items with Build in Midi Editor. Alternately, you can just select the midi and press Ctrl+Alt+E. With the Midi Editor brought up, you double click in the grid you wish to draw a note in. To make an extended note, hold Ctrl and click once and then drag. Refer to the RBN Specs for navigation, copy/paste and more operations in the midi editor.
  • -CrAkD--CrAkD- Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Ok so the tracks that are already in the template Are the ones you do the midi on? And I was right to load all the audio files on new audio tracks?
  • BillyBlaze314BillyBlaze314 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
  • ImaCarrotImaCarrot Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Yes and yes. There should be midi items already in the project named things like PART GUITAR and PART VOCALS.

Alternately, you can just double-click on the midi item to open it in the midi editor.
    edited October 2009
    Ok and you do all difficultys for each instrument on the same midi track just follow the FAQ for what notes represent what for each instrument?
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Yes, in fact, if you are looking at the correct midi editor view, you should see the notes named with helpful names such as "Expert Orange". (don't use the keyboard view)
    edited October 2009
    When I do control alt e it says no external editor for this item?
    edited October 2009
    That sounds like you tried to open the editor for an audio file? That's the only time I have seen that message. Make sure you are control-alt-e ing a midi item (or double clicking)
    edited October 2009
    Yea imacarrot and ethicalpaul are right, you can just double click on the midi track you are trying to edit (much easier than ctrl-alt-e)...and yes there is a separate midi for each instrument....when doing different difficulties, I find it best to do the expert level first, then copy and paste it over to hard and cut out notes to simplify. Then repeat for each lower difficulties. Will save you a bunch of time
    edited October 2009
    and i also think you are double clicking on the audio track and not the midi
    edited October 2009
    nah i was clicking the right thing but i had the wrong template loaded I started over and realized there were 2 templates I loaded the other one and the midi was clearly visible. so now its working thanks to everyone for bearing with me. im sure ill be back with more questions once I get deep into it. thanks again!
    edited October 2009
    No problem dude, if you have any other questions, just post it.
    edited November 2009
    were in the process of doing drums but cant figure out how to do the drum fills the authoring docs dont really explain why there are like 5 different notes for fills.
    edited November 2009
    Those represent the 4 lanes of wide open drumming that the player can do during the fill, plus the kick. You have to make all the notes start at the same time and have the same length (so the notes are where the OD is). Magma will automatically place a green crash note immediately after your OD section ends (which of course is the player's trigger for OD). You are right, the docs are not really clear on what you are supposed to do with the 5 lanes.

It is unclear to me why they bothered to have 5 notes instead of one but they do. I assume it was easier to code it that way. I can't think of any other reason. Seems like Magma could easily take a single note and turn it into an OD section.
    edited November 2009
    i dont think the plugin is working.....I cant get any of the commands outlined within the authoring documents to work. Im basicly just trying to import the lyric sheet but i cant find the command anywhere and Shift+L doesnt work. I tried reinstalling the RBN plugin but everything looks the same and still no actions.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited November 2009
    Click on Actions in the MIDI editor and there should be an option "Import lyrics for selected notes from text file." (Edit: Make sure you select the vocal notes first, by right clicking, holding and dragging over the notes, or the action probably won't appear in the menu)

If you want to bind it to Shift+L you can go to Actions -> Show Action list and assign it there.

I'm not sure why it isn't already mapped by default in the latest plugins, but I remember having to manually assign it a while back.
    edited November 2009
    ok so i have to do the notes to all the vocal parts before importing all the lyrics? also how do i do the preview window?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited November 2009
    -CrAkD-;3235452 said:
    ok so i have to do the notes to all the vocal parts before importing all the lyrics? also how do i do the preview window?
    Yes, you have to add the MIDI notes first before you can import lyrics. The import function adds a lyric event for each note, in the order that they appear in your text file. You could manually add in lyrics as you add notes, but it's easier to just map out the entire vocal part first and import all the lyrics at once.

There's no preview window for vocals, but if you are talking about the other parts, the preview window is viewed by clicking the "fx" button on the MIDI track. If it's not there by default, click Add and look for "VSTi: RBN Preview (RBN)" in the list of plugins. If it's not there, you didn't install the RBN plugins correctly.