To what (if any) extent is copyrighted material allowed?

moracnoymoracnoy Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
For example, If Freezepop wanted to put Sprode on the Rock Band Network (yes, I know it's already in the game), then would it get denied because they mention Target? Or another example is Conventional Lover. There's all kinds of copyrighted stuff in that song, would it get turned down?
I know public domain songs are out, but what if, in a song about something else, you mention someone named Mary having a little lamb? Or could you have a song about copyrighted material if you don't mention it explicitly?

Comments

• kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    HMXEnosity;2860990 said:

Prospective RBN song list (continued):

Johnathan Coulton - Ikea
    Not an official answer but, signs point to a little name dropping being OK.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    moracnoy;3172586 said:
    For example, If Freezepop wanted to put Sprode on the Rock Band Network (yes, I know it's already in the game), then would it get denied because they mention Target? Or another example is Conventional Lover. There's all kinds of copyrighted stuff in that song, would it get turned down?
    I know public domain songs are out, but what if, in a song about something else, you mention someone named Mary having a little lamb? Or could you have a song about copyrighted material if you don't mention it explicitly?
    There's nothing wrong with mentioning a trademarked name in a song. And trademark is what you're asking about here, not copyright. Big difference. :)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    If opinions are worth anything, then I'm with David on this one.

But there are cases where you could have some trouble. In this case, TMBG put a trademarked name in the title of the song:

http://tmbw.net/wiki/AKA_Driver

But generally you'd be OK with mentioning a well-known item from our popular culture in a song, evidence seems to say.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    Well, if this song is allowed (with a slight modification of the opening melody so that it doesn't copy a theme from Final Fantasy) then I think mentioning trademarked names in lyrics is OK. :)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3172820 said:
    If opinions are worth anything, then I'm with David on this one.

But there are cases where you could have some trouble. In this case, TMBG put a trademarked name in the title of the song:

http://tmbw.net/wiki/AKA_Driver

But generally you'd be OK with mentioning a well-known item from our popular culture in a song, evidence seems to say.
    Exactly. Mentioning a trademarked name in the lyrics of a song is no problem. You might only run into problems if the trademarked name was in the title of the song.

And besides, the lyrics in Sprode don't actually say "Target". She says "Tarjay" ;)