Abbey Road DLC Sales* (Xbox 360) ...**Closest Thing You Will Get**

adorazadoraz Opening Act
edited November 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
***UPDATED 10/24/09 CHECK LATEST POST***

Well these numbers aren't quite as accurate as we would like, but they are the best we have right now.

So, this is how the leaderboards work on the Xbox 360.

If you download a song, and play it in quickplay using any instrument (doesn't matter which one or how many players), your score will automatically appear under the BAND section of the leaderboards.

I decided to check how many players were listed for each song (meaning, how many players played through the entire song at least once), and this is what I got:

SINGLES (AND IN COMPLETE THE ALBUM PACK)
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer"- 12,206
"Oh! Darling"- 12,300
"Because"- 8,952

ONLY AVAILABLE THROUGH COMPLETE THE ALBUM PACK
"You Never Give Me Your Money”- 6,536
“Sun King”/ “Mean Mr. Mustard”- 5,854
“Polythene Pam”/ “She Came in Through the Bathroom Window”- 6,539
“Golden Slumbers”/ “Carry That Weight”/ “The End”*- - 6,655
“Her Majesty”- 7,197
"Abbey Road Medley"- 9,639

What does this all mean?

Well, we know for a fact that the "Complete Abbey Road Album" sold at least 9,639 units in the past couple days (that is the amount of people who played through the medley at least once, the most popular song in the pack). We also know that a combination of the singles and the "complete the album" pack sold a minimum of 12,300 units (that is how many people played the most popular song, Oh! Darling, so far).

Of course, just because someone has downloaded a single or a track pack, it does not necessarily mean they have played them yet.

For example, we know "All You Need is Love" sold 100,000 units, but only 73,859 people are listed on the leaderboard and have actually played it all the way through at least once.

Anyways, because Abbey Road just came out and there are a lot of songs to play on it, I'd estimate that roughly 15,000-20,000 people have downloaded the "Complete the Album" track pack on the Xbox 360, and we know for a fact that a minimum of 9,639 people have bought it on the 360.

The last time I checked the leaderboards, which was the afternoon the album came out, only about 1,000 names were listed for the highest song.

So going by this information, what do you all think? Good sales so far? Too early to tell? Remember, this is just one platform after two days.

I know we all want high DLC sales so we can get more content in the future, which is why I posted this.

I'll probably update the numbers a few times as well in the next few days.

Comments

• SpantasySpantasy Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I predict that Abbey Road won't sell that much due to the lack of mainstream singles and the price. I think that Sgt. Pepper will come out and a Day in the Life will far exceed the sales of anything we've yet seen which will then prompt Harmonix to release DLC in smaller but more mainstream oriented track packs after Rubber Soul runs its course.
  • adorazadoraz Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    idlephase;3176553 said:
    I don't know the proportion of 360:PS3 users, but hopefully the PS3 users purchase in proportion or better. I know I will be getting it on PS3 tonight.

The leaderboard for Her Majesty should be fun. I wonder who will not be 1st :P
    I highly doubt PS3 DLC sales will be anywhere near the 360 version. It sold a couple hundred thousand more on the Xbox.

Wii on the other hand I think has a pretty good chance to outsell the Xbox DLC.

Her Majesty is actually a very, very difficult song on guitar, but easy on everything else.
    edited October 2009
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
  • BeatlesPhins1BeatlesPhins1 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I'm not on the leaderboards yet and I have Oh Darling, Maxwell's Silver Hammer and All You Need is Love 360. I'm not buying Because since it doesn't have drums and I'm saving for Sgt Peppers, but if anyone has a code for it that they don't need pm it to me so I can help bump up the sale ;]

Dont let them go to waste people who didn't use them!
    edited October 2009
    bump, I'll get some updated numbers later tonight.
  • AkuryuAkuryu Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    adoraz;3176629 said:

Wii on the other hand I think has a pretty good chance to outsell the Xbox DLC.
    I wouldn't think so. The Xbox 360 version outsold the Wii version too (not by much but still...). I think Xbox 360 owners are more accepting of DLC in general. Wii owners tend to be more casual and, I think, less likely to pay for additional songs.

These numbers are interesting but I'd really be curious to compare them with normal Rock Band DLC or even Guitar Hero DLC that has been out for about the same amount of time. Perhaps even that is a bit unfair though as Rock Band has a larger amount of players.
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Akuryu;3182820 said:
    I wouldn't think so. The Xbox 360 version outsold the Wii version too (not by much but still...). I think Xbox 360 owners are more accepting of DLC in general. Wii owners tend to be more casual and, I think, less likely to pay for additional songs.

These numbers are interesting but I'd really be curious to compare them with normal Rock Band DLC or even Guitar Hero DLC that has been out for about the same amount of time. Perhaps even that is a bit unfair though as Rock Band has a larger amount of players.
    compare abbey road Beatles on 360 to Queen dlc for the 360 both came out on the same day both are really good bands that sell really well.
  • nbalive2005nbalive2005 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Not as good as i hoped. Abbey Road should make at least 500,000 dollars considering the costs and popularity
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Just bought the full album!

I wonder how much the TV ads did for the album.
  • SysyphusSysyphus Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    A quick check on my Wii reveals that 3081 people have registered scores for Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End, 2850 for Maxwell, 2325 for Her majesty, 2253 for Sun King/Mustard, and 2763 for Poly pam/Bathroom Window
    edited October 2009
    Sysyphus;3183020 said:
    A quick check on my Wii reveals that 3081 people have registered scores for Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End, 2850 for Maxwell, 2325 for Her majesty, 2253 for Sun King/Mustard, and 2763 for Poly pam/Bathroom Window
    that means at least 3000 bought the album for the wii.

3000 x 16 =48 thousand dollars.

not good :(
  • JBurtonJBurton Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Around Christmas it should spike a little when people get it then.
    edited October 2009
    Akuryu;3182820 said:

The Beatles on Wii will easily outsell the Xbox 360 version when all is said and done IMO. I think nearly all (if not all) of the Guitar Hero games on Wii outsold their 360 variations. The Beatles appeals a lot more to the Wii audience anyways. VGchartz says currently the Wii version is 60,000 ahead, but that isn't the most accurate site.

You are probably right about DLC though... a lot of Wii owners aren't as into it. I still expect the Wii DLC to outsell the PS3 DLC though.
    edited October 2009
    UPDATE (2 AND A HALF DAYS AFTER ORIGINAL POST)

I just took numbers from the most played single and the most played "Complete the Album pack"

"Oh! Darling"- 12,300---->17,500 (rounded down)

"Abbey Road Medley"- 9,639----> 13,700 (rounded down)

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it within 99 for both. The numbers are constantly changing anyways, so it doesn't matter.

I'd probably predict the "Complete the Album" is at about 20,000 now. Could easily be more. I don't think everyone who downloaded it has already played through the 16 minute medley, but 2/3 sounds about right especially when comparing it to All You Need is Love.

So,

20,000 X $17.50 = $350 000

Good? Bad? Remember, its only one platform after less than a week. With Wii and PS3 DLC sales, as well as the added singles, this has to be at $500,000 by now.

I don't know about you guys, but it seems pretty promising to me. Of course, I have no idea what the budget was, but still.
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone have the xbox 360 queen numbers? That would be really helpful for comparison (I didn't download it, so I can't check).
  • SagemindSagemind Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I'm interested to see how many people eventually play the medley.
    edited October 2009
    adoraz;3183553 said:
    Does anyone have the xbox 360 queen numbers? That would be really helpful for comparison (I didn't download it, so I can't check).
    Wow thats really good. Thats the news i want. I could see it reaching $1M by christmas easily
  • GloiGloiGloiGloi Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    There will also be people like me. It's not easy to get my X-box online from where it's set up, it involves a 30m ethernet cable crossing the house as I haven't got round to getting a wireless adaptor for it yet. Therefore I just connect it up to download things and haven't played any of Abbey Road on line yet so it won't show up on the leaderboards even though I've bought the album.
  • OzSkyBlueOzSkyBlue Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    adoraz;3183399 said:

Good? Bad? Remember, its only one platform after less than a week. With Wii and PS3 DLC sales, as well as the added singles, this has to be at $500,000 by now.

It should also be remembered that it hasn't been released on PS3 in Europe or Australia yet. While that isn't going to make a MASSIVE difference, it's still two whole markets that are yet to be included.
    edited October 2009
    Im thinking Abbey Road will make at least 1m, Sgt peppers will make at least 500k and Rubber Soul will make 750k.

$2.5m should be enough to give us more albums.
  • BeatlesPhins1BeatlesPhins1 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I have a code for 'Oh! Darling' that I don't need. If anyone has 'Because' and doesnt need it i'll trade, help out those sales!
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    OzSkyBlue;3184046 said:
    It should also be remembered that it hasn't been released on PS3 in Europe or Australia yet. While that isn't going to make a MASSIVE difference, it's still two whole markets that are yet to be included.
    QFT.

Thanks to College, I haven't been able to buy a card to get it and the Queen pack. Nor do I have Live where I'm at. BUUUUUT will probably either get them Thanksgiving break, or just buy a helluva lot of songs over Christmas break.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited October 2009
    I think these numbers are quite promising thus far. Abbey Road is one of the best-selling albums of all-time, so it's not all that surprising to see it selling nicely.
  • Monk61Monk61 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    We should wait till Sgt. Peppers etc. and Rubber Soul are out for two weeks or so. Then we can speculate on Harmonix bringing more complete albumpacks, but your analysis is encouraging !!!
    Abbey Road isn't exactly appealing to the mainstream fan, even Beatles fans tend to skip this one together with 'Let It Be' . And remember that a lot of TBRB customers play the game with their family, and mine for example likes the mainstream songs the most !
    I myself own a Wii-console so the main attraction : the medley is not available for me.:mad:
    Nonetheless I'll purchase about three tracks which I really like.
    edited October 2009
    Monk61;3184929 said:
    We should wait till Sgt. Peppers etc. and Rubber Soul are out for two weeks or so. Then we can speculate on Harmonix bringing more complete albumpacks, but your analysis is encouraging !!!
    Abbey Road isn't exactly appealing to the mainstream fan, even Beatles fans tend to skip this one together with 'Let It Be' . And remember that a lot of TBRB customers play the game with their family, and mine for example likes the mainstream songs the most !
    I myself own a Wii-console so the main attraction : the medley is not available for me.:mad:
    Abbey Road is the most famous beatles album of all time....
    At least get Polythene Pam/She came in through the bathroom window.

Such an underrated song.

Then get

Oh Darling, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End, Because and Maxwells Silver Hammer.
  • Monk61Monk61 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Yep ! It is the most famous Beatles album ! But not for the mainstream public, although sales are still going strong. I think it is so appreciated by musiclovers who love music for music's sake ( which is the only true way ). Also the myth about the albumcover plays a part in it being famous, I think.

And yes, the songs you mentioned are on my wishlist.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Monk61;3184929 said:
    No abbey road is pretty up there in terms of all time sales. 32 million for sgt pepper, 31 million for 1, and 30 million for Abbey. All the rest are under 20 mil.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    As of right now 2,169 solo players have played the Abbey Road Medley on guitar and their scores updated online. Haven't counted the others yet!
  • autumnmantisautumnmantis Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    What we're really trying to figure out is "how much does it cost to develop a new song?" or, more to the point, "how much do they have to sell to cover their expenses with a worthwhile profit?".

Well, the game has sold about $60 million so far, and the developers were happy with that number. That comes to 1.333 million per song. However, that cost includes a lot of nonrecurring up-front costs; research, development, character design, the game shell, etc. The cost of developing a single song should be a fraction of that.

It may be better to go off of "All You Need is Love" sales, which sold 'well' at a total of $200,000. We've got eight new songs on Abbey Road (more or less), so that means we need about 1.6 million to fund future development. Sounds doable.