Rock Band View Window in Reaper for OSX

TNNRANDYTNNRANDY Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I apologize if this question has already been answered.

Where is the Rock band view in Reaper? On most of the videos I have seen online about authoring there is a window open that you can view each part as it would be played in the game.. I have the OSX version of reaper and I can't seem to find this.

Anyone know the answer ?

Thanks

-Randy

Comments

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Click on the FX button for the midi track you want to preview (bass, guitar or drums).

If it's not already there, press the "Add" button on the bottom of the FX window and add the VSTi: RBN Preview (RBN) plugin to the track.

You should be seeing what is in the screenshot I attached.

Good luck!
    463 x 228 - 22K
  • vulcanjedi42vulcanjedi42 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, I'd been wondering that as well.
    edited October 2009
    My pleasure. There are some problems with the Mac version of the RBN Template like this. IMO it should come with the plugin already selected for those tracks.

Also you might notice that the VOCALS PART track name event does not occur at 1.1.0 like it should, but instead is at 3.1.0.

Oh yeah one more thing, I think you'll find that the midi color table for your midi tracks is the default table. First thing you should do is load in the appropriate RBN color table for each instrument.

I have a repaired template that I will share soon.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    We have updated PC and OSX template files that we'll put up on the website soon.
    edited October 2009
    soon vs. soon, I like it!
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3181512 said:
    My pleasure. There are some problems with the Mac version of the RBN Template like this. IMO it should come with the plugin already selected for those tracks.

Also you might notice that the VOCALS PART track name event does not occur at 1.1.0 like it should, but instead is at 3.1.0.

Oh yeah one more thing, I think you'll find that the midi color table for your midi tracks is the default table. First thing you should do is load in the appropriate RBN color table for each instrument.

I have a repaired template that I will share soon.
    For what it's worth the PC version is exactly the same :) But as was stated above, new versions should be coming.
    edited October 2009
    OK good to know that we Mac users have flaw parity with you Windows people :)

I'll give them a few days more.
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3181512 said:
    An additional note. It seems as though the midi color table information is not contained in the Reaper project file.

I copy my reaper project file to and from my laptop sometimes, and each time I copy the project file over, all the midi track color maps are reset to default.

So it's probably a reaper issue (and not an issue with the RBN template), and one that I can't understand. If the midi color table info is not contained in the project file, then where the heck is it?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3191000 said:
    An additional note. It seems as though the midi color table information is not contained in the Reaper project file.

I copy my reaper project file to and from my laptop sometimes, and each time I copy the project file over, all the midi track color maps are reset to default.

So it's probably a reaper issue (and not an issue with the RBN template), and one that I can't understand. If the midi color table info is not contained in the project file, then where the heck is it?
    Question: Do you have Reaper installed in the same directory on both machines? What I think *might* be happening is, say a project is saved on a machine where Reaper is installed to the default directory (on PC, this is C:\Program Files\REAPER), when copied and opened on another computer where it's installed somewhere else, it doesn't find the color maps and instead of prompting the user to find them it just loads the default ones.

If this is the case, try creating that REAPER\Data\color_maps directory and copying the color maps there, and your problem may be solved. :)
    edited October 2009
    That is a nice suggestion to try.

In OS X, the color maps get put into a directory called Application Support which is a good place for such things.

However, rather than put them into the Application Support directory of the System itself (which would be something like /Library/Application Support/REAPER/Data/color_maps), they are being put into the Application Support directory of the currently-logged in user (such as /Users/paul/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Data/color_maps)

This may be a permissions issue where it was easier for HMX to make their RBN Tools installer script install into the user's directory instead of the system directory which might have required admin rights or something.

Or maybe it was a conscious choice where they wanted each user account to have its own copy of this stuff.

I will make a test user account on my laptop named exactly the same as the one on my tower and see if that does it.

Thanks again!