Abbey Road Ending

arrancar47arrancar47 Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
How fitting is it that at the end of the medley Paul is in the studio by himself?

Comments

• vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    You made me sad. :-(
  • RockBandoleerRockBandoleer Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    arrancar47;3178792 said:
    How fitting is it that at the end of the medley Paul is in the studio by himself?
    Very unfitting. I didn't like that it was just Paul. Depressing.
  • SnookerooSnookeroo Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    It really doesn't fit, but it made me jump, because I was expecting the Medly to end, and then "Bwaaaam!" the first not of HM plays. I find Paul all alone quite amusing. He's just standing there, grinning at himself...
  • frostyMcNuggetsfrostyMcNuggets Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    It is kind of odd. I like when you play HM by itself at the end Paul looks like he's talking to the other Beatles but he's in the studio alone.
  • Minots59Minots59 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    It would have been more fitting if Ringo was laying down on the couch smoking a cigarette.
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I think it's pretty funny. It's like he's writing a song from heaven all by himself. :) [/paulisdead]

In all honesty, it makes me laugh. It's like he ran back to the studio and decided to add a song in when nobody was looking. :D
  • rad5brandonrad5brandon Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I thought that part was very touching and had a deeper meaning than the literal sense. It was nice, it fades out with this nice ballad with just paul sitting there, i loved it.
  • ReverseEngineerReverseEngineer Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    As Chuck Klosterman said: "Paul decided to add a superfluous 24-second mini-song that wipes away any historical closure Abbey Road might have otherwise achieved. "

The whole article is here, and great reading.
  • TheBeatleHeadTheBeatleHead Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    ReverseEngineer;3180253 said:
    As Chuck Klosterman said: "Paul decided to add a superfluous 24-second mini-song that wipes away any historical closure Abbey Road might have otherwise achieved. "

Lol, that was hilarious.
  • HerSilverHammerHerSilverHammer Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I just pretend that, at the end of Her Majesty, John and George walk in, Ringo comes out from behind a wall and they walk outside, and recreate the cover.

No, I'd pay another 1000 points just for that. No audio or anything.
  • JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I've never been a fan of Her Majesty. I understand where it came from, but it never felt like much of a song. I've known at least one person who seemed to think it was some fantastically clever little thing, but it really seems to drag down Abbey Road more than it should.

Seeing it with just Paul playing alone seems to make the whole medley feel like it was a waste.
  • bobellis75bobellis75 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Medley is great and I have no issues with the ending.
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Love Klosterman's stuff.

Maybe at the end of HM, the camera could have panned away from Paul to show a bored/annoyed trio of fellow Beatles sitting on the couch, waiting for him to be done already.
  • SagemindSagemind Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I loved every bit of the Medley.
  • Andyx1337Andyx1337 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Am I the only one that noticed that the ending for "The End" In the Medley is different from the one in the Disc?

"Ascending into the heavens" - The End On Disc Ending
    "Covered by the Sunshine" - The End on the Medley.
  • bek_____2bek_____2 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    please stop with all the stupid ideas about seeing the other three beatles after the song, it is not that important!
  • BeatletteBeatlette Unsigned
    edited October 2009

"Her Majesty" was originally recorded as part of the medley, in between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam". (EDIT: If you're playing on the Wii, notice that the last chord of "Mean Mr. Mustard" is the first chord of "Her Majesty".) At some point, the group decided to cut the song (which is why Mr. Mustard's sister's name was changed to Pam, to make the transition make more sense). If I remember correctly, Paul came in at some point during the final editing and stuck the track onto the end of the album. Why? I don't know. Maybe it ruins the cathartic ending to the album, but it reminds me of the random sounds that are at the end of the "Sgt. Pepper" album, so it kind of makes sense for a Beatles album.

As for playing the song on Rock Band, because Wii users like myself cannot play the full medley, we can only play "Her Majesty" as a separate track, which is incredibly stupid. On the other hand, it's the easiest 100% I've ever scored on the bass.
    bek_____2;3181476 said:
    please stop with all the stupid ideas about seeing the other three beatles after the song, it is not that important!
    You are so right! =)
  • CM_DrunkCM_Drunk Road Warrior
    edited October 2009

Klosterman is an absolute beast. Easily the greatest pop-culture/music pundit ever. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs is a blast to read.

EDIT: Now that ive read this article (which I had never seen before this morning) it seems as if you were fooled by Klostermans sarcasm. That quote (much like the rest of the article) is dripping in ironic sarcasm.
    HerSilverHammer;3180401 said:
    I just pretend that, at the end of Her Majesty, John and George walk in, Ringo comes out from behind a wall and they walk outside, and recreate the cover.

No, I'd pay another 1000 points just for that. No audio or anything.
    I really hope they add little things like this in the future..just not the whole "extra 1000 points" stuff.
    Beatlette;3188324 said:
    "Her Majesty" was originally recorded as part of the medley, in between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam". (EDIT: If you're playing on the Wii, notice that the last chord of "Mean Mr. Mustard" is the first chord of "Her Majesty".) At some point, the group decided to cut the song (which is why Mr. Mustard's sister's name was changed to Pam, to make the transition make more sense). If I remember correctly, Paul came in at some point during the final editing and stuck the track onto the end of the album. Why? I don't know. Maybe it ruins the cathartic ending to the album, but it reminds me of the random sounds that are at the end of the "Sgt. Pepper" album, so it kind of makes sense for a Beatles album.

As for playing the song on Rock Band, because Wii users like myself cannot play the full medley, we can only play "Her Majesty" as a separate track, which is incredibly stupid. On the other hand, it's the easiest 100% I've ever scored on the bass.

You are so right! =)
    From what I had read, either the producer or one of the assitants held on to the recording after it was originally cut, cause he never threw away anything. It was then attached to the end of the medley and sent out for mixing, without any of their knowledge (supposedly).

Once it was all mixed, they all like how it had ended the song.

Now, if thats wildly inaccurate let me know...but I think I remembered that right, at least according to that article.

Obviously, im no Beatles expert, and this game has turned me from a casual fan into them now being my current focus as far as music goes. I actually just bought the Anthology DVD set, so once I can get through all of it Ill be a bit better informed :)
  • BeatletteBeatlette Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    CM_Drunk;3189207 said:

From what I had read, either the producer or one of the assitants held on to the recording after it was originally cut, cause he never threw away anything. It was then attached to the end of the medley and sent out for mixing, without any of their knowledge (supposedly).

Once it was all mixed, they all like how it had ended the song.

Now, if thats wildly inaccurate let me know...but I think I remembered that right, at least according to that article.

Obviously, im no Beatles expert, and this game has turned me from a casual fan into them now being my current focus as far as music goes. I actually just bought the Anthology DVD set, so once I can get through all of it Ill be a bit better informed :)
    Now that you mention it, I think you're right, although my base of knowledge isn't much greater: Anthology and a couple of books. But I am an avid Beatles fan, if that counts for anything. ;)
  • MidniteVulture83MidniteVulture83 Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    My thoughts about Paul being alone in the studio during "Her Majesty":

"Wow, here's a guy who just can't stop churning out great melodies even AFTER his genius pals have left the studio. Now THAT'S someone who's desperate to lay everything he can down on record."
  • californicationcalifornication Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Fitting because Paul was officially the one who broke up The Beatles?
  • Maccafan82Maccafan82 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Fitting to me because, for those who know the history of the Beatles, he was the only one who wanted to keep going. Everyone else wanted out. Paul didn't break up the Beatles, the others did. He just realized it was over and ended his misery by announcing it (he was in a deep depression over the break-up and Linda told him he had to move on, thus the press release).
  • revofevil23revofevil23 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    When I first saw Paul by himself with his guitar, the first thing that came to my mind was Yesterday.

and "dammit I missed that note"
  • arrancar47arrancar47 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Maccafan82;3193794 said:
    Fitting to me because, for those who know the history of the Beatles, he was the only one who wanted to keep going. Everyone else wanted out. Paul didn't break up the Beatles, the others did. He just realized it was over and ended his misery by announcing it (he was in a deep depression over the break-up and Linda told him he had to move on, thus the press release).
    This and also his super controlling attitude when it came to recording this album. Spending hours on Maxwell's Silver Hammer despite the rest of them thinking it wasn't single material, re-recording Ringo's parts on songs, etc. Abbey Road was really his and in the end it probably was him alone in the studio finishing the album and thus working on the last thing the Beatles did as a group.
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Huh, that's kind of touching. I always thought that the seconds between "The End" and "Her Majesty" were the Beatles leaving the studio for good, but Paul, who was the one who clung most to the Beatles name, couldn't bear to leave, so he just played his own little goodbye on an acoustic before he kind of hurried out.
  • BLARGCOWBLARGCOW Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    um

you guys are taking this a little far
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I see what he meant when he mentioned, "I'll bury Paul."
  • edited October 2009
    Paul put his best efforts into this work whereas Lennon withheld material for solo work. Paul at the end of the medley is extremely fitting because he put his best work into that album, it was inevitable that it was going to end and he was the last Beatle to really put all of his efforts in. I don't take it as a depressing moment. but rather a testament of how much effort he put in.
  • ergo2497ergo2497 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Minots59;3178945 said:
    It would have been more fitting if Ringo was laying down on the couch smoking a cigarette.
    Yeah, having the others lounging while Paul's strumming out "Her Majesty" would be pretty fun.
  • BlueJayGuyBlueJayGuy Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    He acts like a fool on the hill, speaking with... nobody.

It's pretty funny.