Vocal Authoring - Help - Beginner

EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I've got onto authoring the vocals for my first track, and I'm reading the page at the creators site, but with it being my first time i'm struggling to know whether or not what I'm doing is correct. I find it hard to follow, unless i'm just really slow haha.

Could someone make simple pointers of what you have to do?

Do I make seperate midi notes for each syllable?
Do I make seperate text events for each syllable? or each word?

A simpler walkthrough for beginners would be great.

Comments

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Hi-

Yes, a separate midi note for each syllable.

Yes, a separate lyric text event for each of those syllables.

What I did was to create each midi note manually. Be sure to heed their instructions to only include the vowel sound part of each syllable in the length of the midi note. I did a lot of listening at 1/2 speed to get the timings right.

Then you should prepare the lyrics sep- ar- at- ed in- to syl- la- bels in a text editor.

Then drag-select all of your vocal midi notes and run the HMX-provided action called something like Import Lyric Text (it should be in your action menu in Reaper).

It will ask you for your lyric text file.

Check your notes to see that each one got the correct lyric event added to it. If you missed a syllable or something, just undo, edit the text file, and try again. Repeat about 10 times like I did :)
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    Or, if you want you can run the "Shift Lyric Event Left" and "-Right" to move a block of lyric text events onto the appropriate notes. Typically you miss a note or forget to divide a word. After you have corrected the midi notes, you can select the group of lyric events that is wrong and have them all move one note left or right.
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    How is this just as a double check?

From the skies I see A ris- ing storm
    A probl- em breed of thoughtl- ess born
    Ag- gress- ion runs al- ong the lines +
    Infl- u- ence push- es the mass des- ign
    Inf- ect- ed na- + tion
    A fault- ed + cre- a- tion
    Show us salv- a- + tion
    Inf- ect- ed + na- tion#
    I see our freed- om tak- en +
    Pow- ers that be have lost asc- ens- ion
    Peop- le bur- ied in the walls +
    Knowl- edge will hold no pow- er at all
    Inf- ect- ed na- + tion
    Show us salv- a- + tion
    Inf- ect- ed + na- tion
    All these creat- ures
    Are blind to rea- + son
    Fear the day when
    No one can stop them
    Stop# them#
    Inf- ect- ed
    Inf- ect- ed
    Inf- ect- ed + na- tion#
    edited October 2009
    In general I'd say you have the right idea--except to my American eyes, many of your syllable breaks are not correct.

For salvation, we would break it: sal- va- tion

For influence, we would break it: in- flu- ence

etc.

The docs say which online dictionary to use to determine syllable breaks. I checked each of mine just to be sure.
    edited October 2009
    Think I get it now

"Be sure to heed their instructions to only include the vowel sound part of each syllable in the length of the midi note."

Can I ask for an example of this?
    edited October 2009
    Sure. Let's say a lyric is the word "streets".

Let this represent the sounds of the word as they exist in the recorded wav file:

sssssstrrreeeeeeeeeeeeetsssssss

So you want the midi note to fall where you see the asterisks (ignore the periods, I had to put them there for formatting):

................*****************

So only in the vowel sound do you want the midi note to be.

If you don't do this, it will be very hard to sing successfully because (some of this is conjecture on my part) the scoring engine will be "listening" for your midi note on parts of the syllable that will not register the correct frequency (for instance, if you say an "S" or "T" sound, it has very high frequency components to it).
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    EvileOL;3187483 said:
    How is this just as a double check?

From the skies I see A ris- ing storm
    A probl- em breed of thoughtl- ess born
    Ag- gress- ion runs al- ong the lines +
    Infl- u- ence push- es the mass des- ign
    Inf- ect- ed na- + tion
    Show us salv- a- + tion
    Inf- ect- ed + na- tion#
    I see our freed- om tak- en +
    Pow- ers that be have lost asc- ens- ion
    Peop- le bur- ied in the walls +
    Knowl- edge will hold no pow- er at all
    Inf- ect- ed na- + tion
    Show us salv- a- + tion
    Inf- ect- ed + na- tion
    All these creat- ures
    Are blind to rea- + son
    Fear the day when
    No one can stop them
    Stop# them#
    Inf- ect- ed
    Inf- ect- ed
    Inf- ect- ed + na- tion#
    A couple of things I noticed (aside from the breakdown of syllables - I recommend cross-checking all your words on dictionary.com for that). For talkies, you can't have part of a word be pitched and part be a talky, so for all instances of "nation" it should be na-# tion#.

Also, if "From the skies I see A ris- ing storm" is all one phrase, "A" should be lower-case. We only capitalize the first word of each phrase in Rock Band, except for proper nouns or other words that are always supposed to be capitalized.
    edited October 2009
    Thankyou for pointing those out!
    ethicalpaul;3187693 said:
    Sure. Let's say a lyric is the word "streets".

Let this represent the sounds of the word as they exist in the recorded wav file:

sssssstrrreeeeeeeeeeeeetsssssss

So you want the midi note to fall where you see the asterisks (ignore the periods, I had to put them there for formatting):

................*****************

So only in the vowel sound do you want the midi note to be.

If you don't do this, it will be very hard to sing successfully because (some of this is conjecture on my part) the scoring engine will be "listening" for your midi note on parts of the syllable that will not register the correct frequency (for instance, if you say an "S" or "T" sound, it has very high frequency components to it).
    So that goes for ALL words?
    I was putting the Midi notes in literally where the word/letter of the words start, to the very end of the words etc. so that's not the case?
    edited October 2009
    You are using the word "words" but I hope you meant to say "syllables".

You want one midi note per syllable (plus slides, of course), and yes, for each of those, you should only have the note exist where the vowel sound of the syllable is, with very few exceptions that as I recall are mentioned in the vocal authoring docs.

If I may offer this anecdote of authoring brotherhood, I had to go through my song myself a second time because I didn't heed this instruction. :)
    edited October 2009
    EvileOL;3187741 said:
    So that goes for ALL words?
    I was putting the Midi notes in literally where the word/letter of the words start, to the very end of the words etc. so that's not the case?
    All words that have consonant sounds, yes. For talky words it's not that big of a deal, but for pitched words you definitely want to leave out the parts that don't have a pitch.
    edited October 2009
    All words that have consonant sounds, yes
    Sorry to be a stickler, but it's true for words without consonant sounds too. You still put the midi note wherever the vowel part of the syllable is, which in this case would be all of it :)
    edited October 2009
    ethicalpaul;3187789 said:
    Sorry to be a stickler, but it's true for words without consonant sounds too. You still put the midi note wherever the vowel part of the syllable is, which in this case would be all of it :)
    You know what I meant. :p

BTW, I had no idea what that character in your signature was supposed to be, but now that I happened to read one of your posts on my iPhone it makes sense. :)
    edited October 2009
    Oh it doesn't show up for windows folks? I didn't know that. Secret code I guess :)