Non US Authoring Companys

edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Hi Guys,

Do you think non- US companys will be able to submit songs for peer review by the end of the year.

If i use a US company in the meantime are there ways to transfer the ownership back to my account when it is open for the other territories?

Thanks

CTA Studios

Comments

• socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    CosmicTriggerAudio;3186490 said:
    Hi Guys,

Do you think non- US companys will be able to submit songs for peer review by the end of the year.

If i use a US company in the meantime are there ways to transfer the ownership back to my account when it is open for the other territories?

Thanks

CTA Studios
    I don't think anyone (even HMX) can answer your first question. As for the second, I am pretty sure there is no way to transfer ownership or anything on a song. Once the song is in the store the details on it are final.
  • RockAuthorsRockAuthors Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Yea I don't think your going to be able to transfer ownership back to your account. They could change policy once things get going for a while, but I wouldn't count on that. No way to tell if they will allow non-US participation by the end of the year, I would think early next year at the earliest, but that's just a guess. You should just make an agreement with a US company now, then part ways once you can submit.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks Guys

Andrew.. does your company work with third party authors, if so could you contact me as it is something i would consider.

Many Thanks

CTA
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2009
    Once the song is submitted and approved, it is permanently linked with the account on creators.rockband.com, and there is no way to "transfer" it.

We have no plans for adding transfer functionality, as ownership of the song (and hence payments for 360 sales) are pretty inextricably linked with the back-end XNA functionality.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    So mister_game, would you say the way to transfer a song to a different "owner" (in the xna sense) would be for the original author to pull it from the store (assuming this is possible), and for the new author to resubmit it to the peer-review/store submission process?

For certainly there will be cases where such a transfer will be necessary (authoring companies shutting down, individual authors dying--not to be morbid, but such things happen, etc)
  • ImaCarrotImaCarrot Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    yes, that can always happen as far as I am aware. There are a couple of problems though, first, when a song is removed from the RBN it is also removed from the xbox of all the people who bought it (the file isn't deleted, I believe the license just doesn't work anymore or something like that). That means that all the people who bought the song, won't be able to play it anymore. Removing a song from the store is the last thing HMX wants to do.

In your other example, if the person who held the rights just up and disappears (or dies), then we're going to have a pretty difficult time getting them to remove the song from the store right? As far as I'm aware, only the person who uploaded the song and HMX has the power to remove a song from the store and I don't think HMX will remove a song without justification or signed approval from the original uploader.

If any of this stuff has changed mister_game, please correct me.
    edited October 2009
    The song isn't removed from already purchased consoles if someone removes it from sale (imagine if you bought an Xbox Arcade Game, then Microsoft stopped selling it. You would still expect to be able to play it, right?).

So the problem becomes two versions of the same song. Putting problems with the approval process aside (our pipeline does not allow multiple submissions with the same song name/band name) there is the issue of having multiple versions of the song out in the wild.

Since the second version of the song will be treated as a new item (a new OfferID, in technical terms) people could have mismatched versions when they try to play multiplayer, purchase multiple versions of the same song, and not know which one to delete from their Xbox since they would appear identical in the dashboard.

That's why, once you put a song up for Peer Review in RBN, it's pretty much a done deal. No backsies.
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    HMXMister_Game;3190175 said:
    (our pipeline does not allow multiple submissions with the same song name/band name)

That's why, once you put a song up for Peer Review in RBN, it's pretty much a done deal. No backsies.
    So what happens when a song fails peer review and the author goes back and fixes a few things and wants to resubmit it? Does it retain the same 'sumbition' identity with a new file, or does it have to be named "version 1, version 2, etc," or what? I'm probably over thinking this.
    edited October 2009
    Until it is approved and reaches the store, it doesn't exist as far as Xbox Live Marketplace is concerned.
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009