Adam Clayton of U2: The music fan is "an outdated idea".

40FootWolf40FootWolf Opening Act
edited November 2009 in History of Rock
"The commercial challenges have to be confronted," bassist Adam Clayton said. "But I think, in a sense, the more interesting challenge is, 'What is rock 'n' roll in this changing world?' Because, to some extent, the concept of the music fan -- the concept of the person who buys music and listens to music for the pleasure of music itself -- is an outdated idea."

Read the full article here.

I think a couple of questions need to be addressed:

1. What does that statement even mean, when it gets right down to it? And,

2. More importantly, is it true?

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    dear adam,
    stick to the bass... you suck at talking.
  • MovieFreak921MovieFreak921 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I'm not really sure what that statement is supposed to mean. In fact, scratch that. I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about. At all.
  • edited October 2009
    A more humble or perhaps smarter man would come to the conclusion that his band's album didn't sell as well as expected because it quite frankly wasn't that good, instead of reaching for more far-fetched explanations about music fans.

Then again, if U2 had such humility and self-awareness, their last three albums probably wouldn't have been so terrible.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited October 2009
    The concept of people buying and listening to music because they find it pleasurable is now "outdated" because U2 didn't sell as many albums as they wanted?

Wow.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited October 2009
    afterstasis;3188010 said:
    dear adam,
    stick to the bass... you suck at talking.
    Agreed, ridiculous to say the least.
  • IdiostockIdiostock Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Dear U2
    Please play less songs at your concerts so that Muse has more stage time. They're better than you by a scale factor of 9001.

Also, wtf lasers.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    I think the pure "music fan" is a smaller class than it used to be, but that is largely a function of an increase in the number of entertainment activities available to the average person. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

In addition, we are looking at an upcoming generation who is consuming media in ways previously unknown... the people who pore over old LPs will be around for quite some time, but there will be a new group of people who don't have the same passive connection to music that their parents did. The challenge for the musician is to either appeal to those who seek the greater aspect of entertainment convergence, or hone your craft to the point where you become sought after by the old guard of music fans.

You can't expect the world to stay the same around you. Either you change with the world, or you learn to assume a different vantage point within it. Plain and simple.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    U2 Disappointed by 'No Line' Only Going Platinum Once
    Gee, only once?! HOW DISAPPOINTING

They should be happy their ****ty new album even hit gold.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited October 2009
    Or maybe, just maybe, the music fans, you know, don't listen to new U2. Most of the music-minded people I talk to both on the internet and in real life pretty much universally agree than modern U2 is pretty mediocre. Also, if you're complaining about an album "only" going platinum when it's barely been out for half a year, you know you're getting a bit greedy.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Wow. I don't even know what to say.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    U2 should stop taking sales away from more deserving artists.
    i just listened to a song from this album and literally recoiled at the devastating amount of poo oozing from my speakers.
  • McGerkeyMcGerkey Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. No Line on the Horizon is the album of the decade, and it only going platinum once is terrible.

Adam's right, people just don't like great music anymore. Sad.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    The U2 fan is "an outdated idea."
    Fixed.

Did anyone else make this joke already? Is it too obvious? U2 is like the Dead to me. They made great music back in the day, but they haven't made anything in the past 20 years because the most important members are dead. In u2's case, the most important member was bono's soul.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Soror_YZBL;3189742 said:
    Fixed.

Did anyone else make this joke already? Is it too obvious? U2 is like the Dead to me. They made great music back in the day, but they haven't made anything in the past 20 years because the most important members are dead. In u2's case, the most important member was bono's soul.
    Post of the week! :D
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    My head just spun from this. Originally, by looking at the thread, I thought he would say something like "no one is not a fan of music", because it's so universal. Everyone loves music, whether they know it or not. I really can't think of anything else I can say that for.

His reasoning confuses me enough to want to put a chimpanzees ballsack in my mouth.
  • a_bull_on_paradea_bull_on_parade Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    U2 is an outdated idea......seriously. They should have stoped before they made Pop.
  • CyanFunkCyanFunk Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I thought Adam was an outdated idea
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited October 2009
    instantdeath999;3191173 said:
    want to put a chimpanzees ballsack in my mouth.
    I forgot what I was gonna post.
  • edited October 2009
    McGerkey;3189735 said:
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. No Line on the Horizon is the album of the decade, and it only going platinum once is terrible.

Adam's right, people just don't like great music anymore. Sad.
    Not even close
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Wait, what?

"No one bought our platinum album! Waaaaah"

This anger from Clayton is both ironic, stupid, and pointless.
  • 40FootWolf40FootWolf Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;3195280 said:
    Not even close
    Pretty sure he was being ironic, bro.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited October 2009
    Jeez, IDK nobody bought their last three album. I don't know... maybe because they were total ****?
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Zeleii;3198725 said:
    Jeez, IDK nobody bought their last three album. I don't know... maybe because they were total ****?
    You're an outdated idea!!;p
  • francescnogalesfrancescnogales Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    This game, RockBand, need U2 songs... but not DLC content, we need a game for U2, something similar to RockBand: The Beatles, or similar to AC/DC Track Pack.
    This is "magnificent" for all fans of U2, the best rock band.
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited November 2009
    francescnogales;3258649 said:
    This game, RockBand, need U2 songs... but not DLC content, we need a game for U2, something similar to RockBand: The Beatles, or similar to AC/DC Track Pack.
    Where'd you get that idea from?
  • a_bull_on_paradea_bull_on_parade Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    francescnogales;3258649 said:
    I support a "Best Of: U2" in full, a game less so.