Clipping in Reaper

songwirestudiossongwirestudios Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I have all my stems limited pretty hard at -.5db. When I pulled them into Reaper, the master was clipping like crazy (of course). So, i pulled the faders back a bit so it doesn't clip. But when I audition the track on the Xbox, the music is too quiet compared the the crowd and esp. the sound effects (overdrive, etc). Should I just let the master clip in Reaper? Thoughts?

Comments

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    I had a similar problem. What I did was set a limiter/compressor on each track with a ceiling of -3db. Then I set a master limiter/compressor on the master track for a ceiling of -.5db.

This seemed to work well to make everything punch.
  • songwirestudiossongwirestudios Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    ok, cool. but the limiter on the master isn't actually doing anything when you bounce out the individual stems to Magma (right?). it's just keeping Reaper from distorting. Am I thinking about this correctly?
    edited October 2009
    Hmm, well I render out with the desired track(s) soloed, so I would assume that the master track's effects are in...effect.

I can verify that the output level of my rendered tracks is -.5 and not -3 so I think the master is doing its thing.
  • songwirestudiossongwirestudios Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    ok. how does it sound in audition? well balanced with the sound fx?
    edited October 2009
    Yes, I think it's a good balance, but I have a lot more auditioning/playing to do of it so I'll pass along if I find any problems with the method.
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Glad I saw this post,I still haven't quite gotten the hang of mixing yet...I'm having trouble getting things to sound decent in reaper.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Remember, there is also a gain/trim setting for each audio steam in Magma itself. Adjust accordingly.

I do wish that we could get an audio-preview mode on this screen of Magma, as well.

- m
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited October 2009
    Markleford;3191252 said:
    I do wish that we could get an audio-preview mode on this screen of Magma, as well.

- m
    Agreed, along with playing the 30 second preview section, so it can be easily selected from within Magma.
  • nothingsnothings Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I originally put the limiter on the master in Reaper since I was rendering the tracks solo'd and it did the right thing, but I ended up putting one on each track and turning off the one on the master. That way I could preview what the final mix would actually sound like without leaving Reaper, since limiting each track changes the mix differently from limiting the whole thing. So this way I don't really need magma audio preview. (I have the computer and the 360 in different rooms, so cutting down on round trips was really important.)

You can easily copy effects and effect chains in Reaper from one track to another (just drag and drop), so doing so wasn't hard. (Obviously only relevant if you're using Reaper to render out the final tracks.)

What I actually ended up with is a folder of tracks for each thing that would be solo'd and rendered out, an effects chain on that folder which had a volume boost and then a little reverb and then the limiter. (The separate reverb-per-track was so it would be before the limiter and exactly match what would get rendered.) You set the magma audio levels to 0db across the board and use the reaper track-folder faders instead so you can hear exactly how it sounds.

The only drawback I noticed is you have to turn down the master fader down from 0db when listening to the mix in reaper, because all the tracks combined are too loud. But when you render them solo'd, you have to remember to turn it back up, and it's easy to forget.