Question about overdrive...

justjaekjustjaek Unsigned
edited November 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Before I do too much trial and error here, does anyone know if there's a way to affect how quickly the activated overdrive decays? I'm working with a song with a pretty fast tempo and a 6/8 feel (95bpm). Is the overdrive decay purely a function of tempo? If I wanted activated overdrive to last longer, would I be better/worse charting the song as a 3/4 @ 190bpm, or no difference? The song auditions great, but eats up a half-bar of overdrive in about 3-4 measures, which is about 6-8 seconds. I know there are other RB songs that use overdrive about this fast, but it'd be nice to be able to balance it out a little bit more if there's a way to do it. Thanks.

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited October 2009
    HMXAlakaiser;3196854 said:
    I hate to correct you (especially you, because you're awesome), but this isn't the case. The OD drain is actually tied to the BEAT track, not to the tempo track. If OD is draining too fast or too slow, this problem can be mitigated with pulling some trickery with the BEAT track.

edit: For what it's worth, I didn't realize this myself until a few months ago when it was explained to me. :)
    I thought that might have something to do with it but I wasn't sure. I guess that explains why he is getting fast OD drain at 96bpm when all the songs I've worked on thus far with similar tempos have slow drain. :)
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    HMXAlakaiser;3196854 said:
    I hate to correct you (especially you, because you're awesome), but this isn't the case. The OD drain is actually tied to the BEAT track, not to the tempo track. If OD is draining too fast or too slow, this problem can be mitigated with pulling some trickery with the BEAT track.

edit: For what it's worth, I didn't realize this myself until a few months ago when it was explained to me. :)
    What's funny is, frommy observations, that even though the rate of OD consumption is controlled by the BEAT track, the rate of OD increase from the whammy bar is tied to BPM.
  • justjaekjustjaek Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    trg007;3196734 said:
    It's based on tempo. Although if your song is really 96BPM, that should result in a slower drain, not faster. Higher tempo = faster OD drain, so 190BPM is not the way to go. As long as you place enough Overdrive so that the song can be gold starred (and even that isn't technically a requirement) then it's OK if it drains fast.
    Does audition let you 'gold star' stuff? I don't see why it wouldn't, but I haven't been able to get it, even though I'm using overdrive as good as I know how (I'm sure there's a better way) and hitting all the notes. Tried all difficulties as well. I'm at the point where I don't really want to put any more overdrive phrases in the parts. Should I put enough in to get there, or can I leave it as-is if the gameplay is good?

I tried doing a half-time feel with the beat track, but that didn't work out so I ended up keeping things at my original 6/8 beat. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    edited October 2009
    justjaek;3202136 said:
    Does audition let you 'gold star' stuff? I don't see why it wouldn't, but I haven't been able to get it, even though I'm using overdrive as good as I know how (I'm sure there's a better way) and hitting all the notes. Tried all difficulties as well. I'm at the point where I don't really want to put any more overdrive phrases in the parts. Should I put enough in to get there, or can I leave it as-is if the gameplay is good?

I tried doing a half-time feel with the beat track, but that didn't work out so I ended up keeping things at my original 6/8 beat. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    Yep, you can gold star, assuming you are playing/autoplaying on Expert (if multiple instruments are playing, all need to be on Expert).
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    can you use overdrive on the guitar during a guitar solo? I presume not but wanted to check
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    EvileOL;3208581 said:
    can you use overdrive on the guitar during a guitar solo? I presume not but wanted to check
    Actually, you can. Many songs have overdrive authored on notes during a solo.
  • HMXAlakaiserHMXAlakaiser Harmonix Developer
    edited November 2009
    Correct - the only no-no during solos (and this is only somewhat related) is that you can't have drum fills during a drum solo. Authoring overdrive during a solo is acceptable. (If it weren't, it would've taken me a whole lot longer to pass Green Grass and High Tides...)
  • MrOwn1MrOwn1 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    HMXAlakaiser;3210211 said:
    Correct - the only no-no during solos (and this is only somewhat related) is that you can't have drum fills during a drum solo. Authoring overdrive during a solo is acceptable. (If it weren't, it would've taken me a whole lot longer to pass Green Grass and High Tides...)
    Would Magma spit out an error if there was a drum fill in a drum solo? Would the game just crap itself? Would it just play normally? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN?
  • HMXAlakaiserHMXAlakaiser Harmonix Developer
    edited November 2009
    Magma spits out an error. It'd look something like this!

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: c:/directory/to/file/casey malone/caseymalone.mid (PART DRUMS): Drum fill 14:1:000-15:1:000 overlaps solo
    edited November 2009
    HMXAlakaiser;3210509 said:

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: c:/directory/to/file/casey malone/caseymalone.mid (PART DRUMS): Drum fill 14:1:000-15:1:000 overlaps solo
    I think it gives that error just because of the song name. I mean, who would want to play that? ;)
    edited November 2009
    HMXAlakaiser;3210509 said:

Oh, ok.
    Now time to test some other stuff I've been wondering about. I SHALL PUSH YOUR SOFTWARE TO IT'S LIMITS!

"Hey, I'm gonna put 1/128th note camera changes!"
    edited November 2009
    MrOwn1;3213482 said:
    Oh, ok.
    Now time to test some other stuff I've been wondering about. I SHALL PUSH YOUR SOFTWARE TO IT'S LIMITS!

"Hey, I'm gonna put 1/128th note camera changes!"
    You'll get a message from Awesomeness Detection...then your Xbox will self-destruct.
    edited November 2009
    TheOzone;3213617 said:
    You'll get a message from Awesomeness Detection...then your Xbox will self-destruct.
    I'm actually trying it now......
    If you don't see me in the next ten minutes, I'm dead.
    edited November 2009
    Well, it's been over 30 minutes. Perhaps he experienced the Pokemon seizure effect from those 1/128th camera cuts...
    edited November 2009
    trg007;3213757 said:
    Well, it's been over 30 minutes. Perhaps he experienced the Pokemon seizure effect from those 1/128th camera cuts...
    Well, the MIDI I was using F-ed itself up, so I just finish fixing it. I'm auditioning it in a few minutes.
    edited November 2009
    OH GOD THAT WAS THE BEST THING EVER
    If anyone wants a video of it, I'll record it.
  • SirRobin1tothe3SirRobin1tothe3 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    edited November 2009
    SirRobin1tothe3;3214323 said:
    I do!
    Okay, just a sec.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited November 2009
    *shudder* I want to see this too.
    edited November 2009
    HMXMister_Game;3215266 said:
    *shudder* I want to see this too.
    Okay, I have a video. My capture card is being stupid though, so It might take a while.
    edited November 2009
    HERE IT IS:
    1/128TH NOTE CAMERA CHANGES!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxzweo6qRM8

WARNING: Horrible charting. IT'S A WORK IN PROGRESS. But that's not why you're watching the video, right?
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    It actually wasn't too horrible. Nice job on slowing it down for us!
    edited November 2009
    Note that the framerate is constant. Way to go Harmonix Programmers!
    edited November 2009
    ethicalpaul;3218473 said:
    It actually wasn't too horrible. Nice job on slowing it down for us!
    Well, I might as well show the LOLWUT speed slowed down. The camera cuts are still pretty fast when slowed all the way down.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Yes they are. It was only the glacially slow movement of the characters that showed just how crazy fast the cuts were coming.
    edited November 2009
    It appears as though when you go to 50% speed, the rate of camera changes remains the same, and when you go to 25% speed is when you start to see them slow down. I suspect that at 128 shots/measure you are actually sending several camera cuts per screen redraw.

I'd be curious to know whether we actually load and render the info into a buffer several times over before we send it to the screen...
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I'm seriously impressed by HMX programmers after watching that one,I was expecting some serious failure after a few seconds.

*golf clap*
    edited November 2009
    wesjett08;3220579 said:
    I'm seriously impressed by HMX programmers after watching that one,I was expecting some serious failure after a few seconds.

*golf clap*
    I'm still trying to think of something else to do..........

"Perhaps 1/128th note drummer animations? AT 280 BPM? Or maybe square wave lip-syncing, or making all the camera effects flash at 1/64th note intervals, or..."
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited November 2009
    MrOwn1;3220617 said:
    I'm still trying to think of something else to do..........

"Perhaps 1/128th note drummer animations? AT 280 BPM? Or maybe square wave lip-syncing, or making all the camera effects flash at 1/64th note intervals, or..."
    I know I know!!!!

Have the 128bpm camera cuts with the screen effect being the green thing that has the mirror effect and then to end it have the strobe light effect.

Call it the epileptic stomach exploder number 5.
    edited November 2009
    ccdadon;3220933 said:
    i know i know!!!!

Have the 128bpm camera cuts with the screen effect being the green thing that has the mirror effect and then to end it have the strobe light effect.

Call it the epileptic stomach exploder number 5.
    i must do this right now