any recommendations of SD cards for DLC

dewdudedewdude Unsigned
edited October 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to start buying DLC for both RB2 and Beatles:RB and am seeking some advice on SD cards.

I plan on buying all the Beatles DLC, and I want to keep everything on one card so I don't have to go swapping cards looking for whatever song I want to play. I've got no idea how much space each song takes up. Anyone got any advice? I was thinking about just throwing an 8gig SDHC (well, microSDHC in an adapter) in there since I've got one lying around...but will RB, or even the Wii, accept a card that size? How much DLC am I going to be able to fit in 8 gigs?

If anyone can throw me some ideas on how much space any DLC you own is taking up, that'd be great.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Welcome to the Rockband Forums.

Before you spend any money on a memory card, you might want to do a little homework on what consoles are better for Rockband, storage included.

Love my Wii, but I play Rockband and store DLC on my PS3.

Woah... that rhymed...
  • dewdudedewdude Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I own a Wii. I am not willing to spend money on another console when all I want is to play rockband. I don't care what system is "better", I own a Wii, I own TB:RB for Wii, I'm not going to go out and drop what..around $400. I don't want/need Blu-Ray, I'm not a serious gamer, I don't need pretty graphics...blah blah blah.
    I appreciate what you're trying to do, I really do. But it's like telling me I need to buy a super-charged car to drive cross-country when a 4-banger Honda will do.
  • edited October 2009
    dewdude;3201772 said:

I appreciate what you're trying to do.
    Cool.

I like people to have all the facts.

Eventually we will have the whole Beatles catalog, and thats going to rock.

One album at a time or one song at a time, if you like The Beatles you will be stoked.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2009
    dewdude;3201596 said:
    Hey all,

I'm getting ready to start buying DLC for both RB2 and Beatles:RB and am seeking some advice on SD cards.

I plan on buying all the Beatles DLC, and I want to keep everything on one card so I don't have to go swapping cards looking for whatever song I want to play. I've got no idea how much space each song takes up. Anyone got any advice? I was thinking about just throwing an 8gig SDHC (well, microSDHC in an adapter) in there since I've got one lying around...but will RB, or even the Wii, accept a card that size? How much DLC am I going to be able to fit in 8 gigs?
    The Beatles: Rock Band will support SDHC cards, but RB2 will not.

Most DLC songs are around 35MB, so you can do the math there to figure out how many will fit on an 8GB card. :)
  • dewdudedewdude Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    Ok. I wasn't really worried about the RB2 songs not fitting on one card..i'll split those up if needed....but i think at 35 megs a song i'm changing my mind on account that my dsl is about the most basic speed you can get...and it'd take me a good 20 minutes per song or more...i just don't have that kind of time. if/when i get FIOS....maybe...is that looking likely? no, they said it's likely we wouldn't get it.
  • FinnulfFinnulf Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    dewdude, welcome to the forums.

You've been fortunate that the first two folks to answer your question are Doc and David - probably the two most level-headed guys around here, regardless of console, and likely two of the more open-minded in that regard as well.

I'm pretty much in your boat - love my Wii, willing to sacrifice some of the bells and whistles of uber-console versions of these games to have them on my console of choice. The SD storage thing is something of a bugaboo for us - it's a shame Nintendo didn't come up with a better storage solution (or at least support for SDHC before RB2 was in development.

My recommendation is to have a separate SD/SDHC card for each music rhythm game (that supports DLC) that you plan on owning.

As pointed out, The Beatles Rock Band does support SDHC, so you can use up to a 32GB card to store TBRB DLC along with other SDHC compatible stuff (channels, VC, WiiWare, Photo Channel stuff, etc). Based on the file sizes and the size of The Beatles Catalog, an 8GB SDHC card will likely do the trick if all you're looking to do is store Beatles tunes (and provided we eventually get everything).

Rock Band 2 is going to be a trickier subject. All that available DLC is tempting (I have about 300 so far). Problem is that RB2/Wii only supports SD (non-SDHC) cards, which generally are available in sizes up to 2GB. A 2GB card will hold about 90-100 songs, dependent on average track size. There is a "workaround" of sorts that exists - several companies made 4GB SD cards prior to the wide availability of SDHC. Transcend Micro is one of these, and their Transcend 4GB 133x card is the favoured storage method for Wii RB2 rockers who adore their DLC. Because of the difference in formatting overhead, a 4GB card will get you about 175-190 tracks (again, depending on average track size).

As much as this limit sounds like a pain in the keister, it is something that you can work with. Scrutinize your DLC choices - how much will you really enjoy a specific track. Using multiple cards isn't the end of the world either, as long as the stuff is organized so that you don't need to card swap in the middle of a session. We currently use two 4GB cards and a 2GB card. One of the 4gig cards has our "party" mix - the stuff everyone loves playing together when we have friends over (which is also a large overlap with what my wife prefers in music), one 4gig with my heavier stuff (with a large amount of overlap with the "party" card; the 2GB card is the catch-all card - country, classic rock, and anything even remotely "weird" that we downloaded for poops & giggles.

Hope this helps.
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Yes - go w/ Finnulf's advice.

In my case, I have over 160 RB2 tracks on a 4GB transcend SD & exploit the "RB2 Workaround".

I also have TB:RB & GH5 (and likely BandHero soon). All of those are SDHC compatible. Also have about 160-ish tracks btwn those 2 games on a 8GB SDHC at the moment.

Card swapping kinda sucks, but once everything is finally SDHC workable (as in if/when we get RB3), a single 16-32GB SDHC should be all a Wii owner needs.
  • Moony_LupinMoony_Lupin Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    jwebb1970;3203085 said:

Card swapping kinda sucks, but once everything is finally SDHC workable (as in if/when we get RB3), a single 16-32GB SDHC should be all a Wii owner needs.
    And that's why I bought a 32gb... I'm planning to use it for a long time. Right now, it's just for the Beatles though.
  • RichardScarry21RichardScarry21 Unsigned
    edited October 2009
    I bought a SDHC with high read and write speeds. Although since I have no one to compare it with, I'm not sure if it even matters. It may be capped on transfer speeds. However load times off the SD card isn't bad, maybe 5-8 seconds longer than disk songs.