How did Harmonix get Hendrix for LEGO Rock Band?

Highflyer23Highflyer23 Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I thought licensing Hendrix was almost impossible, the only way Guitar Hero got it was by making Hendrix in the game. Also does this mean we might see some Hendrix DLC?

Comments

• Lone BulldogsLone Bulldogs Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    They just had the Ghost Hunters ask Jimi. He said it was cool and the rest is history.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited October 2009
    Lots and lots of money.
  • BayouBengal032BayouBengal032 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    I though I read something around GHWT's release that both companies were in talks with the Hendrix estate and GH just got it first or something.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited October 2009
    BayouBengal032;3203114 said:
    I though I read something around GHWT's release that both companies were in talks with the Hendrix estate and GH just got it first or something.
    This, as well as the fact that the Hendrix character was Neversoft's idea which they trapped themselves in.
  • WrathyWrathy Rising Star
    edited October 2009
  • edited October 2009
    Welcome to the Rockband Forums.

In this world, impossible just means it has not been done yet.

Forever is a mighhty long time, so everything is possible eventually.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited October 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3203177 said:
    This, as well as the fact that the Hendrix character was Neversoft's idea which they trapped themselves in.
    Yeah. I'm sure the only-playable-as-Hendrix-character thing was part of their specific contract
  • PonchoPoncho Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    It's not actually Jimmy Hendrix its a cover that David Grohl put together.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    My first thought was a Lego Jimi Hendrix, but a video that leaked implies otherwise.
  • lotr rocks 0lotr rocks 0 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Poncho;3203306 said:
    It's not actually Jimmy Hendrix its a cover that David Grohl put together.

^this isn't important, because every song in rock band to date is a cover by Dave Grohl! :P
  • JdurgitJdurgit Banned
    edited October 2009
    I think that initially, before the rhythm game genre had exploded, the Hendrix Estate was probably hesitant to include Jimi's songs in the game. After they started seeing how much money was being generated by these games and how it was exposing his music to new generations of people, the estate started changing their mind. Throw in the fact that RB is such a high quality example of this genre and that the company behind it are musicians first, and videogamers second, the estate probably no longer sees it as a "bad" thing for Hendrix' name to be tied to.
  • Legion37Legion37 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Something I would like to point out is that ACTs Jimi Hendrix is tied ONLY to WT, including DLC, and can not be exported to other titles, while LEGO/Rockband Jimi Hendrix is exportable...as far as we know anyway lol.

I think thats pretty significant in itself. I think Act. is losing the interest of alot of artists.

I also believe sooner than later we will see Hendrix in the DLC, if not early next year.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I think people forgot that the dude who owns the rights to Hendrix's songs isn't a musician, so there's none of the silly pretensions we get from guys like Jimmy Page. Any idiot can get the songs, it's just a matter of how much money you need to throw at the guy.
  • SchultzySchultzy Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Doc_SoCal;3203197 said:

Forever is a mighty long time...
    ...but I'm here to tell you there's something else; The Afterworld. A world of never-ending happiness. You can always see the sun, day or night. So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills, you know the one; Doctor Everything-will-be-alright. Instead of asking him how much of your time is left, ask him how much of your mind, baby. Cause in this life, things are much harder than in the Afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.

And if the elevator tries to break you down; go crazy! Punch a higher floor!
    -Prince, Let's Go Crazy

Sorry bout that. Absolute first thing that popped into my head. You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread proceedings. :D
  • ReaverReaver Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Legion37;3204370 said:
    Something I would like to point out is that ACTs Jimi Hendrix is tied ONLY to WT, including DLC, and can not be exported to other titles, while LEGO/Rockband Jimi Hendrix is exportable...as far as we know anyway lol.

I think thats pretty significant in itself. I think Act. is losing the interest of alot of artists.

I also believe sooner than later we will see Hendrix in the DLC, if not early next year.
    And actually be a decent pack unlike what Activision threw out. I have faith that when and if we get more Hendrix it will be a LARGE pack with nothing but the really good stuff and several deeper cuts to please the die-hard fans. That is unless the pack is a 10-pack. But I think the best way to approach a Hendrix pack would be to do what they did with The Who.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited October 2009
    That is a secret. Dave Grohl only knows the answer!
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    Jdurgit;3203744 said:
    I think that initially, before the rhythm game genre had exploded, the Hendrix Estate was probably hesitant to include Jimi's songs in the game. After they started seeing how much money was being generated by these games and how it was exposing his music to new generations of people, the estate started changing their mind. Throw in the fact that RB is such a high quality example of this genre and that the company behind it are musicians first, and videogamers second, the estate probably no longer sees it as a "bad" thing for Hendrix' name to be tied to.
    THIS!

The Hendrix estate claims they found the masters just in time for GH:WT but it seem really convenient. Also the story of how and where they found the masters is major sketchy.

As for the exportation I just don't think Neversoft wanted to shell out twice for the license. Harmonix probably presented them with the exporting notion right from the get go and was able to work out a deal.
    edited October 2009
    HMX spent time and made a deal that both parties argeed was acceptable. A deal that sees his songs being played by people other than Jimi himself and across several games. Activision went to the Hendrix estate and was all gung-ho on getting any Hendrix track they could as quickly as possible, throwing in the fact that if they did, only Jimi would play his songs on the game. Sort of an incentive to dish out the songs ASAP.

I really like how HMX approaches bands about including their music in their game. I just wish Jimmy Page would see that and understand. One of these days though...
  • Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
    edited October 2009
    Reaver;3204709 said:
    HMX spent time and made a deal that both parties argeed was acceptable. A deal that sees his songs being played by people other than Jimi himself and across several games. Activision went to the Hendrix estate and was all gung-ho on getting any Hendrix track they could as quickly as possible, throwing in the fact that if they did, only Jimi would play his songs on the game. Sort of an incentive to dish out the songs ASAP.

I really like how HMX approaches bands about including their music in their game. I just wish Jimmy Page would see that and understand. One of these days though...
    So IM not trying to be rude or anything, but do you actually know how Harmonix negotiates with Labels and artists?? Or are you just going by the hear say??
    edited October 2009
    Okay, you got me. I don't know for a fact, but obviously whatever they do its effective, yes?
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited November 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;3204390 said:
    I think people forgot that the dude who owns the rights to Hendrix's songs isn't a musician, so there's none of the silly pretensions we get from guys like Jimmy Page. Any idiot can get the songs, it's just a matter of how much money you need to throw at the guy.
    Chick actually. The estate is run by his half sister, although she shouldn't even be apart of the estate but that's for another conversation.
  • Fuelie79Fuelie79 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Could have been the controversy seen over Kurt Cobain, or maybe they were impressed by The Beatles. Or maybe it was boat loads of money or begging.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Fuelie79;3205217 said:
    Could have been the controversy seen over Kurt Cobain, or maybe they were impressed by The Beatles. Or maybe it was boat loads of money or begging.
    Maybe the Hendrix estate just really, really likes LEGOs.
  • NeoxonNeoxon Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Maybe HMX went to their knees & begged the Estate to let them use Fire.

On a lighter note, now the Estate has no excuse to not let GH import the 2 Hendrix songs on GHWT or bring back the 6 Hendrix DLC songs.
    edited November 2009
    Neoxon;3205220 said:
    On a lighter note, now the Estate has no excuse to not let GH import the 2 Hendrix songs on GHWT or bring back the 6 Hendrix DLC songs.
    Activision tied them to the character in the contract and aren't coming back to open it up?
    edited November 2009
    Don't contracts expire too?
    edited November 2009
    lotr rocks 0;3203718 said:
    ^this isn't important, because every song in rock band to date is a cover by Dave Grohl! :P
    No, a cover implies he's not the original artist.
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    By the power of flight.
    edited November 2009
    Actually, HeyRiles jumped in and said, "Hey, Traveller's Tales! Harmonix needs your help! Clap if you believe!"
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    GNFfhqwhgads;3205299 said:
    Actually, HeyRiles jumped in and said, "Hey, Traveller's Tales! Harmonix needs your help! Clap if you believe!"
    Actually, Dave Grohl was busy.