the Lego "strobe effect" is nothing like it is in RB2

playmikeplaymike Rising Star
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
yes, this is a crap quality video, but the stobe effect is nothing like it is in RB2

in RB2 I actually have to squint my eyes to play the notes, in LRB, it seems it's toned down to just be black and white with mild "strobe" effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1fDskJ0bTQ

Comments

• Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Yeah the Strobe messes me up on some songs sometimes...

Dragula messed me up first time.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    This reminds me of when I was trying to pass B.Y.O.B. for the first time on expert guitar (a few months back), at 4 a.m. No other lights on + insane strobe light effect + extremely tired = X_X

Glad to see the effect has been reduced, to some extent.
  • playmikeplaymike Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I actually like this reduced "strobe" btw... hopefully RB2 implements this..
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited November 2009
    This is good. I find I have trouble seeing the notes on certain songs because of the lighting effects.

Also, is that a new guitar controller on the loading screen?
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited November 2009
    BallisticJunkfood;3207920 said:
    This is good. I find I have trouble seeing the notes on certain songs because of the lighting effects.

No, they show in game controllers during the loading screen. All the in game instruments look like real instruments with a Rock Band controller twist to it.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    BallisticJunkfood;3207920 said:

Pretty sure that is just an in-game guitar.
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited November 2009
    CCDaDon;3207925 said:
    No, they show in game controllers during the loading screen. All the in game controllers look like real instruments with a Rock Band controller twist to it.
    DragoonXD;3207926 said:
    Pretty sure that is just an in-game guitar.
    Ah, I see. The strum bar fooled me.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Don't suppose anyone will tell me what the strobe effect is? :D
  • ExplodingTurnipsExplodingTurnips Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    instantdeath999;3207952 said:
    I take it you never heard of a strobe light?
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    instantdeath999;3207952 said:
    Compare the lego video with a video of the same song played in regular rock band:
    Rock Band:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1-h-KlehM
    Lego Rock Band: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171154

see how the special lighting effects are different

"strobe" is the quick flashes of white against a dark background. LRB tones down the brightness and the quickness of the flashes, it seems. Although it's hard to tell from that off-screen video
  • playmikeplaymike Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    trust me, it's very different. if you squinted before, you don't need to any more...
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    ExplodingTurnips;3207980 said:
    I take it you never heard of a strobe light?
    I have, but not by its proper name, it seems.

Hm. I actually like the quick flashes of light for particularly fast sections... although it wouldn't fit lego as well.
  • ManbreastsManbreasts Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I like them :(
  • Felldoh_The_SquirrelFelldoh_The_Squirrel Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    They probably don't want to give the kids epilepsy.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Felldoh_The_Squirrel;3210105 said:
    They probably don't want to give the kids epilepsy.
    *this*

Though it's not "giving" them it as much as it is risking triggering it. I think kids overall are more susceptible to the effects of dramatic flashes of light moreso than adults as well.
  • AbysalDoomAbysalDoom Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I always play RB with my Stage Kit on. No fog though, just the lights. The T.V. effects by themselves seem weak in comparison to the actual strobe going off in a dark room only lit by the 46" LCD and Stage Kit LED's and strobe....

And I never have a problem seeing notes because of the effects. Overdrive on the other hand, sometimes hides the green note in guitar, and I'll miss if I'm not expecting it.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I like the old version the most. It is crazy and somewhat distracting, but it's so intense!
  • mpracharmprachar Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I posted this in the TB:RB forum too - sorry if I'm a loser but I want HMX to notice (for all of us!)

It may be too late for these two games, but I am sure that feedback from them will be incorporated into RB3. If us die-hard RB players with thousands of dollars in DLC are to embrace the next release it's important we address playability issues now. :eek:

HMX Please take note! I have noticed this on both LRB and TB:RB. It appears that in a (successful) effort to make these newer ames more visually appealing, it is more difficult to "read" the note highways than in RB2.

While the overall appearance of the game is critical to the gameplay experiance, more attention should be placed on keeping the highways visible especially on expert levels, faster speeds, and when all three vertical highways are on-screen at once (making them smaller by design.)

If there are creative differences amongst the developers regarding this type of issue then PLEASE at least put in a modifier of some type (extra's screen maybe?) that would allow for a "high visibility" mode that disables some of the more distracting effects.
  • Awesome_TreeAwesome_Tree Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    The RB2 Strobe light hurts my eyes. Nice to see when we get LRB it won't try to kill us.