The Killers: Rock Band

ryan12147ryan12147 Headliner
edited February 2011 in Your Ultimate Setlist
I thought of something today while listening to Day & Age by The Killers, it was that while going through The Killers' discography, I noticed that this band seems to be like the modern version of The Beatles. That may seem way off-key as The Beatles are considered by most people as the most influential band to ever exist while The Killers are just a slightly famous alternative rock band.
This thread in no way is my request for an actual The Killers: Rock Band because they are definitely not as deserving as say, The Who, Led Zeppelin, or even Nirvana for that matter, however I felt like making a thread to get my point across that The Killers seem to be like the modern Beatles for these reasons:

1) They start off as a popular pop rock band that explodes onto charts with songs like Somebody Told Me, All These Things That I've Done, and Mr. Brightside, which are all major hits with a large amount of the female music listening audience.

2) During their Hot Fuss era, all four members of the band seem like a cute, young, and friendly boy band, writing many songs about relationships and love, much like The Beatles in their first couple years together.

3) The Sam's Town era shows the band growing up a little, and their songs having more of a deeper meaning to them, making them seem more mature and targeting more of the male audience.

4) The Sawdust era shows a darker side to The Killers with songs like Tranquilize, Move Away, All The Pretty Faces, and Daddy's Eyes. Also covering a song already considered dark, Shadowplay, didn't seem like the type of song the band could pull off but they did, and very well at that.

5) The Day & Age era, mostly like The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper era, shows the band writing some songs that have little to no meaning at all if any, some of the songs like Human, Spaceman, and This Is Your Life making no sense at all. On top of that, the band's appearance also changes dramatically. All four members now sport full beards and a large amount of facial hair, and their music videos (Read My Mind, and Spaceman specifically) are just weird.

Can we expect a new album by this band to be like The Beatles' Let It Be? Slow songs with plenty of meaning? This is just my strange theory that I've noticed over the years. Anyways, onto the totally random aspect of this thread because I'm really bored, I'll tier every Killers' song (on a scale of difficulty between 0-6) and post videos of each song. Maybe this can act as the Rock Band forums' Killers' database. Tell me what you think of the tiering and if it's accurate at all. :)

Hot Fuss

Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine [G- 3 B- 4 D- 4 V- 5]
Mr. Brightside [G- 3 B- 1 D- 6 V- 1]
Smile Like You Mean It [G- 2 B- 0 D- 3 V- 0]
Somebody Told Me [G- 1 B- 3 D- 4 V- 0]
All These Things That I've Done [G- 2 B- 1 D- 3 V- 3]
Andy, You're A Star [G- 0 B- 0 D- 1 V- 0]
On Top [G- 2 B- 0 D- 5 V- 0]
Change Your Mind [G- 1 B- 3 D- 5 V- 0]
Believe Me Natalie [G- 1 B- 0 D- 4 V- 2]
Midnight Show [G- 3 B- 4 D- 4 V- 4]
Everything Will Be Alright [G- 1 B- NO PART D- 1 V- 4]

Sam's Town

Sam's Town [G- 4 B- 2 D- 5 V- 5]
When You Were Young [G- 2 B- 2 D- 4 V- 2]
Bling (Confession of a King) [G- 2 B- 4 D- 3 V- 3]
For Reasons Unknown [G- 2 B- 2 D- 3 V- 6]
Read My Mind [G- 3 B- 0 D- 3 V- 2]
Uncle Jonny [G- 3 B- 4 D- 2 V- 3]
Bones [G- 4 B- 0 D- 4 V- 3]
My List [G- 1 B- 0 D- 1 V- 2]
This River Is Wild [G- 3 B- 3 D- 4 V- 5]
Why Do I Keep Counting? [G- 1 B- 2 D- 3 V- 4]

Sawdust

Tranquilize [G- 4 B- 4 D- 3 V- 2]
Shadowplay [G- 2 B- 5 D- 4 V- 0]
All The Pretty Faces [G- 1 B- 3 D- 5 V- 3]
Leave The Bourbon On The Shelf [G- 2 B- 3 D- 3 V- 3]
Sweet Talk [G- 1 B- 4 D- 5 V- 6]
Under The Gun [G- 4 B- 5 D- 5 V- 4]
Where The White Boys Dance [G- 2 B- 4 D- 5 V- 3]
Show You How [G- 1 B- 1 D- 3 V- 2]
Move Away [G- 5 B- 6 D- 6 V- 6]
Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll [G- 2 B- 1 D- 3 V- 6]
Who Let You Go? [G- 0 B- 0 D- 3 V- 2]
The Ballad of Michael Valentine [G- 0 B- 1 D- 3 V- 1]
Ruby, Don't Take You Love To Town [G- 5 B- 5 D- 5 V- 1]
Daddy's Eyes [G- 4 B- 4 D- 5 V- 2]
Sam's Town (Abbey Road Version) [G- 1 B- 1 D- 1 V- 6]
Romeo and Juliet [G- 0 B- 0 D- 0 V- 1]

Day & Age

Losing Touch [G- 2 B- 5 D- 4 V- 3]
Human [G- 1 B- 1 D- 4 V- 5]
Spaceman [G- 0 B- 1 D- 4 V- 4]
Joy Ride [G- 1 B- 3 D- 3 V- 1]
A Dustland Fairytale [G- 0 B- 0 D- 3 V- 3]
This Is Your Life [G- 0 B- 4 D- 4 V- 4]
I Can't Stay [G- 0 B- 1 D- 2 V- 3]
Neon Tiger [G- 2 B- 3 D- 3 V- 1]
The World We Live In [G- 0 B- 0 D- 3 V- 5]
Goodnight, Travel Well [G- 2 B- 1 D- 3 V- 6]

Singles/Unreleased Tracks

Where Is She? [G- 2 B- 5 D- 5 V- 3]
A Great Big Sled [G- 2 B- 0 D- 4 V- 5]
Don't Shoot Me Santa [G- 1 B- 1 D- 4 V- 6]
Joseph, Better You Than Me [G- 0 B- 0 D- 2 V- 6]

Wrote all that in under 3 hours! Woo! :p

Comments

• KasilKasil Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I do like the Killers, and don't mind their music in Rock Band, but I don't think they have remotely enough content to constitute a game. I don't really know what the purpose of this thread is if it isn't a formal request, other than maybe pointing out that their music would work, in which case, I agree, and we could use some more DLC from them.
  • ryan12147ryan12147 Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Kasil;3210909 said:
    I do like the Killers, and don't mind their music in Rock Band, but I don't think they have remotely enough content to constitute a game. I don't really know what the purpose of this thread is if it isn't a formal request, other than maybe pointing out that their music would work, in which case, I agree, and we could use some more DLC from them.
    That's pretty much what this thread is for but I also wanted to point out the similarities to The Beatles over their albums, and I was also very bored, and like tiering the songs. :p
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited November 2009
    I'm a big fan of The Killers and I'll get any and every song HMX releases by them, but an entire game devoted to them is too much. I really hope the band-specific game trend dies soon. Rock Band is a platform. The biggest reason that I prefer RB over the GH franchise is because I can keep all of my music together and assemble extremely varied setlists. So I'd have to vote "no" on a Killers: RB game.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    The Beatles didn't start out as a chart-topping teenybopper band. They started as a local Merseybeat band that endured constant gigging and got very little sleep and money. The Beatles also never targeted any one gender; love and relationships was the norm for lyrics in pop and rock music at that time and the Beatles were among the first to write songs not about love and relationships

And unlike the Beatles, who started dramatically changing their sound with each album, the Killers are still churning out worthless chord-driven boring rock music today

The Beatles also never butchered a song as badly as the Killers did to Shadowplay. Jeez, only Fall Out Boy's cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart is worse
    edited November 2009
    BevoTheWarrior;3211155 said:
    I'm a big fan of The Killers and I'll get any and every song HMX releases by them, but an entire game devoted to them is too much. I really hope the band-specific game trend dies soon. Rock Band is a platform. The biggest reason that I prefer RB over the GH franchise is because I can keep all of my music together and assemble extremely varied setlists. So I'd have to vote "no" on a Killers: RB game.
    I'd buy a Killers: Rock Band game even though I hate band specific games, however this thread isn't really about The Killers getting their own game. :p
    edited November 2009
    chumsicles;3211218 said:
    The Beatles didn't start out as a chart-topping teenybopper band. They started as a local Merseybeat band that endured constant gigging and got very little sleep and money. The Beatles also never targeted any one gender; love and relationships was the norm for lyrics in pop and rock music at that time and the Beatles were among the first to write songs not about love and relationships
    I know, but I wasn't gonna to get too specific, it was just little things that I noticed.

And unlike the Beatles, who started dramatically changing their sound with each album, the Killers are still churning out worthless chord-driven boring rock music today
    That's because most of their music is focused more on the drumming, sythesizers, and vocals. It's not really boring at all unless you've only heard their singles. Might I suggest you listen to Move Away, This River Is Wild, Midnight Show, or On Top and maybe that'll help you change your mind a little bit. And throughout The Killers' albums, their music has dramatically changed, all you have to do is just listen to one song off each album to be able to notice a huge difference. The Killers would be indie rock, Sam's Town being pop rock, Sawdust more alternative rock, and Day & Age going under a genre I have no clue how to define, it's like a mix of ska, pop rock, and alternative.
    The Beatles also never butchered a song as badly as the Killers did to Shadowplay. Jeez, only Fall Out Boy's cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart is worse
    I love Shadowplay, I listen to it all the time lol
    Although I do agree with the Fall Out Boy comment, their covers of Mr. Brightside and Beat It were fantastic though.
  • FrancescaFrancesca Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    There's a half-dozen (more) songs in their repertoire right now that would have interesting charts for most instruments, while staying fresh across repeated play-throughs.

They need another track pack, not a dedicated game.

I just want to play Glamorous Indie Rock 'n Roll with the walking 3-note chords on expert guitar... so you have an excuse to do G_Y_O, which is like never used.
  • Phategod1Phategod1 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    chumsicles;3211218 said:

I heard a very Pi$$ poor version of Roll over Beethoven they did but I agree with most of what you said.
    edited November 2009
    Francesca;3213669 said:
    There's a half-dozen (more) songs in their repertoire right now that would have interesting charts for most instruments, while staying fresh across repeated play-throughs.

They need another track pack, not a dedicated game.

I just want to play Glamorous Indie Rock 'n Roll with the walking 3-note chords on expert guitar... so you have an excuse to do G_Y_O, which is like never used.
    I'm thinking Sawdust for full album DLC. :)
  • feverdoggfeverdogg Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    a 3 pack of
    tranquilize,somebody told me ,all these things ive done
    would do me just fine
    edited November 2009
    feverdogg;3215267 said:
    a 3 pack of
    tranquilize,somebody told me ,all these things ive done
    would do me just fine
    Why Tranquilize? :confused:
  • beefigurskbeefigursk Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I know for fact there will not be a Killers: Rock Band, but I would totally buy every single track ever made from them ever. EVERRRRR!
    edited November 2009
    I swear no one is reading the OP.
  • MelonBassistMelonBassist Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I love the Killers, but as someone who actually plays bass to a lot of their songs, I'm gonna say that a lot of them wouldn't be that hard in Rock Band. You tiered Shadowplay's bass as a 5, but other than the bass solo in the last 30-45 seconds of the song, its basically 3 notes over and over. If I remember correctly you also had Tranquilize's bass as a 4 or 5 but it's also an easy song to play. Just sayin, but I would love a Killers 5 pack sometime soon
  • CPT BJCPT BJ Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Thye are a decent band but tbh i find the songs we already have in the game very dull and boring :/
  • kinga49kinga49 Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    Your comparisons are interesting, and, obviously, a lot of people are going to criticize you because they think that no one can come to being as great as the Beatles are. Maybe this is true, but your comparisons made me think, and the things you pointed out are really interesting. The killers may end up being great, but it seems harder for bands to be seen as legends nowadays. During the 60's and 70s there were fewer bands being marketed, and it was harder to find music. Most people listened to whatever was on the radio, but now we download music or we find music on our own using the internet. We do not rely on the radio to tell us what to listen to. Because of this, bands are able to market themselves simply by creating a myspace page. I love the Killers, and I love them more than the Beatles, but they will never be seen as legends because it is too hard to become one. Who are the legends of today? Are the beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, pink floyd, CCR, jefferson airplane and the rest of the bands from the 60s and 70s really that much better than today's bands? I would argue that they are seen as legends partially because of how they dominated the music scene during the 60s and 70s.
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    BevoTheWarrior;3211155 said:
    I pretty much agree with the above post. The only thing that would help is if it was exportable to the main RB platform, like Green Day: RB. Then, for me, it pretty much becomes a glorified track pack disk along the lines of AC/DC (and that's what Lego:RB was for me, after my export the disk hasn't seen the inside of my Xbox).
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited February 2010
    I love The Killers. They're one of my favorite bands. That being said, I don't think we need a full game for them. Perhaps a track pack ala the AC/DC track pack, but I doubt something like that would sell very well. If anything we'll probably just get some more Killers DLC and that's it.
  • dogbone_52dogbone_52 Unsigned
    edited July 2010
    couldnt someone make thier songs in RB Network?
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    dogbone_52;3835830 said:
    couldnt someone make thier songs in RB Network?
    Not unless they owned the rights to the songs.

The Network isn't for anyone to post their version of a song.
  • eddy9524eddy9524 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Killers 02 please
    Somebody Told Me
    Change your Mind
    Human
  • teenelmo26teenelmo26 Unsigned
    edited January 2011
    I don't think they have enough songs to constitute a full game, but they truly are my favorite band. A new pack, 3 at least but preferably 5, would more then satisfy me! My dream 5 Pack of The Killers:

For Reasons Unknown / Read My Mind / Human / All These Things That I've Done / Somebody Told Me
  • 291j291j291j291j Unsigned
    edited February 2011
    ryan12147;3210898 said:

5) The Day & Age era, mostly like The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper era, shows the band writing some songs that have little to no meaning at all if any, some of the songs like Human, Spaceman, and This Is Your Life making no sense at all. On top of that, the band's appearance also changes dramatically. All four members now sport full beards and a large amount of facial hair, and their music videos (Read My Mind, and Spaceman specifically) are just weird.

In answer to your original post,
    1) I don't really agree with your comparison to The Beatles. I DO like them as a band but I think it is a very different world and although I can't doubt the success of The Killers, I can't see them having as broad an appeal or influence on future musicians. Please don't think I'm putting you down for saying so, it is just my opinion.

2) I'm not really sure on your tiering scores for each song. I would be happy with 100% of Hot Fuss, 100% of Sams Town, 70% of Sawdust and 40% of Day & Age to appear in Rockband. Of the unreleased singles, I doubt Where is She? will ever make another appearance (not sure if you know the story but it is written from the perspective of a mother who's daughter was murdered by the daughter's boyfriend. The mother objected to the song when she heard it as she felt it was rather presumptious of Brandon and the rest of the band to put across how she felt. The band apologized and promised not play it again in respect to the mother and the deceased daughter).
    Other than that I would happily not listen to the unreleased tracks and I wouldn't pay for them either.

3) You may think some of the lyrics to the bands songs are weird but some of them actually have a much deeper, or hidden meaning. Some of them also have been written to have different interpretations to make the audience think. Brandon Flowers said that in an interview with a magazine back when Sams Town was released (but I can't remember which mag :)

Human, is strange (and the track I would want least in Rockband) but it is supposed to be influenced by a quote from Hunter S Thompson. More than that I don't know.

My interpretation of "This is Your Life" is that it seems to be about the unfortunate street life of a couple of prostitutes in a rough neighborhood and how they try and get by. It is almost like the singer is pitying them but admiring them for trying to survive. Some people think it is a song written in answer to Lou Reed's "Walk on the wild side" as this song has a Candy and Jackie in it too. And Candy was a hooker (not sure about Jackie but she was a drug addict).

Spaceman to me is actually the easiest one to explain and I happen to think the lyrics are fantastic! :)
    Spaceman is about a failed suicide attempt. The lead character has survived, possibly suffers from mental illness of some sort but has a new outlook on life and although he isn't "better" now has a renewed sense of wanting to live. If you break it down line by line it is really well crafted.
    It starts out with him waking in a hospital bed after coming to with the buzz of the doctors around shining lights in his face, they take his blood to check what drugs he has in his system.
    The starmaker and the dream maker are the drugs that are part of his ongoing therapy. Quite often people with bipolar disorder or paranoid schizophrenia are given a mood stabilizer but too much of it makes you mad.
    The public don't dwell on his transmission because it wasn't televised is basically people outside of his core group don't know about his condition. They are oblivious to the turmoil he has been through or is going through.
    His global position systems could be either the voices in his head or the voices of all the people telling him what to do.
    He still hears the voices telling him things, which doesn't necessarily mean he is mad, it just might mean he is depressed and it is his "inner monolog" telling him he is useless and to end it all etc.
    But by the end of the song he is saying he has accepted that it is in his mind and (hopefully) he can get past it.

I could be wrong about ALL of this. But that's cool by me. That is the greatest thing about music is that everybody can come away with a different experience or interpretation. :)