First Impressions of Lego Rock Band

nolanandrewnolanandrew Opening Act
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I've only played for a little over an hour, but here are my thoughts:

1. Vocals seem easier to be mediocre at, but significantly harder to achieve perfection (which is now called "perfect"..."awesome" now ruins your multiplier). Guitar seems no different, except it's harder to tell which notes are "hammer ons."

2. I've only "failed" once (on "Grace" vocals- I just don't know the song), but apparently you don't fail. You just lose all the studs you've obtained. Then they quickly put you back in the game and let you try to win them back. The thing is, I voxtar, and the guitarist is the "leader" of the band. It seems like they give the lion's share of the studs to the leader. At the end of every song, the guitarist has gotten hundreds of thousands of studs, while the singer usually gets around 850. I don't think the disparity in play would explain that, and I play both on expert.

3. I think I like the "den." I like the office- quick way to see your "stats," how you've done on each song. Definite improvement over RB2.

4. The songs are ranked much more difficultly than on RB2. At first, I thought I was missing TONS of dlc, but it turned out it was just listed much further down than I was used to seeing it.

5. That said, at this point A LOT of dlc has not transferred. Of my 200 songs or so, I'd say about half made it. I have no idea what standards they're using to indicate "family friendliness," especially since the game features "So What?" which proudly exclaims that "we're all gonna get in a fight." To be fair, I haven't played this song yet- maybe they edit all the references to brawling. But they already edit the obscenities in the RB dlc. Seems silly to not allow us to play something we chose to download and pay for. Why not have an on/off content filter? Lame.

6. Love the set list so far. "Summer of '69" is a special treat. I can see playing it roughly 300 times before getting sick of it.

7. Like the sequence of the "story mode." It's a nice mixture of getting to choose your own path and dealing with mandatory challenges the game throws at you. RB2 was getting stale for me, even with weekly dlc. It's nice to have goals and progress again.

8. The length of the game will likely be a problem. I can see people who have more time than I beating this in one night and pretty much exhausting all game modes (there's really only one).

9. Bottom line? Songs are maybe good enough that it's worth the $60 total to add to RB2. If all dlc were available, I would probably just save the $10 and play LRB exclusively for a while. As for parties, I can see small groups of people having fun by just starting a band from scratch and playing through, because it's fast and easy. But eventually, you'll want to play all the songs you paid for, and it'll be frustrating not to be able to.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Nice write up.

Frys gets my 37 bucks tomorrow FOR SURE.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I'm very pleased so far. Some impressions.

-You're right about vocals, they're a little tougher. I've GSed a lot of songs, but so far the worst I've done was "Dreaming of You," mostly because the harmonies part near the end was WAY lower than I was expecting, totally botched it. But then again, I'm not all that far still. I'm trying to be disciplined and not completely pwn it in one night.

-Lego people playing Fear of the Dark is awesome. On that note, I find it amusing how so many of my DLC is now rated top-tier for all instruments.

-A LOT of variety in customizing the lego avatars, I'm having fun with that.

-set list is great, only a few stinkers. I won't name them in the interest of civility. :P

-I'm way too good at these games. My very first performance (Free Fallin' Expert vox) got me about 6 achievements at once.

-Intro cutscene with auditioning band members was hilarious.
  • JMaqIsYourHeroJMaqIsYourHero Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I thought I was annoyed when I played Dig and then immediately got pushed into a two-song setlist that made me play it again.

I did not know annoyed until it did the same thing with Rooftops. Hours later I can still feel the strumming...the constant strumming.

Other than that it's aces...and I haven't even gotten to half of my favorite songs on the disc. I really enjoy that your "money" is directly connected to your score. That just feels right. Plus I have a wolfman on drums. This game rules.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited November 2009
    I gotta say that Lego Freddie having been abducted by aliens was loltastic!
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    JMaqIsYourHero;3214735 said:
    I thought I was annoyed when I played Dig and then immediately got pushed into a two-song setlist that made me play it again.

I did not know annoyed until it did the same thing with Rooftops. Hours later I can still feel the strumming...the constant strumming.

Other than that it's aces...and I haven't even gotten to half of my favorite songs on the disc. I really enjoy that your "money" is directly connected to your score. That just feels right. Plus I have a wolfman on drums. This game rules.
    Oh god I got both of those. It would probably be more annoying though if Incubus wasn't one of my favorite bands :p
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited November 2009
    From what I played... 7/10...

It was early in the morning though, and when I get to play the game by myself and whatever, I'll write a review. The score'll likely be boosted up too.
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited November 2009
    So wait, LRB gets moar stats (Not to be confused with more stats)?
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Good observations, and I agree that the set list is great fun and the office is a solid addition. Having a blast with the game so far: I'm wondering how many players added the werewolf to their band the moment he unlocked. I sure did. :)
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I'm enjoying it.

I like the stats, and the more linear storyline, although it might be because I have the non linear for RB2. I plan to finish it in a couple of days, and just keep playing the songs on RB2.

I'm really music gamed out - beat Band Hero (in a little over 4 hours), and played Lego RB for about 2 hours so far. Took the day off work. :)

I'm really enjoying it, and getting used to the differences.
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited November 2009
    There are stats? Really? Oh wow I must have this game now.

Not being sarcastic. :o
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I found the vocals to be a lot harder. Granted, I only moved to expert a few weeks ago, but the songs I know best on this game I was struggling to get 5 stars on, while in RB2 I can GS a few of them. Also, I've only done 5-6 songs on vox, but I have yet to find any cowbell/tambourine parts. Are they still around?
  • nolanandrewnolanandrew Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Played a little longer, and here are some more opinions, for what they're worth:

-"Boys and Girls" is a terrible song. Not fun to play. And this is coming from someone who owns two (maybe three?) Good Charlotte albums.

-"Check Yes, Juliet" is really growing on me. Right up my alley.

-The hardcore players, especially those into metal, will like this game less than those with poppier music tastes. For me, one of the great things about LRB is that there aren't 15-20 crazy difficult songs that I don't even like listening to looming like there are in RB2. No "Visions," "Shoulder to the Plow," or "Painkiller." To me, this is a huge plus. To others, I realize it's a minus.

-That said, even some of the earlier songs are a lot harder on guitar than I thought they would be, and now that the vocals are harder, I'm having a much more difficult time getting five stars, and no gold stars yet. I'm hardly an axe master, but I can gold star or at least five star most of the easier songs on RB2 on expert using voxtar. I've played "Swing, Swing" four times and haven't gotten it yet because I can't keep a vocal multiplier going.

-I'm only on the third venue, so maybe the count increases as you go further, but I'm a little disappointed that so far the set lists are limited to one song each. My favorite part of RB2 is "Three song mystery setlist" or "Build your own five song setlist." On LRB it's "One song mystery setlist." Weak.

-I'm not much for fooling around with avatars and costumes, but it is kinda cool that after every single song, they give you more stuff. Accomplishments are nice, even if they're trivial.

-Oh, almost forgot. I am COMPLETELY annoyed by all the self-promoting Lego facts on the load screens, and there are a lot more load screens in this game than RB2. I don't care how many lego bricks there are for each person on earth or the "Lego Legend" of Farmer Bob's Lego farm. Every once in a while a Lego fact gives way to something about music, but the screen usually cuts out before you can read it. Grrrr. These in-game ads are actually having an adverse effect and making me want to buy Legos less.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    OrdealByFire;3214851 said:
    There are stats? Really? Oh wow I must have this game now.

Not being sarcastic. :o
    HMX didn't code the game, so I am not shocked there are more stats. For some reason HMX hates stats. I still love the game, but the statistical options could be so much better and it wouldn't even be that difficult to code for it.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    nolanandrew;3214891 said:

-"Boys and Girls" is a terrible song. Not fun to play. And this is coming from someone who owns two (maybe three?) Good Charlotte albums.

I don't think I had ever heard this song but as I listened I realized the lyrics were as mature as The Naked Brothers Band and Sponge Bob...actually "Where's Gary" is much more mature.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Final Countdown is the most ridiculous trophy. All others are easily attainable, weird to just throw this one in there.
  • TheHip41TheHip41 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    girls and boys song is god awful

I just played Pleasure (Pleasure) in lego:RB

so much for family songs only :)
  • Flux_Capacitor22Flux_Capacitor22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    1. When attempting to reconstruct my RB band in LRB, my final design had skin tone faces on each character with yellow bodies. Other than that, they look very close.

2. Check Yes Juliet is wearing out it's welcome very quickly. It has a habit of popping into every mystery setlist, and this is with 250some available DLC.

3. Dreaming of You is a really good song to listen to and play.

4. The Power Challenges were really well animated. Also a lot of fun to play.

Overall: 8/10
  • JMaqIsYourHeroJMaqIsYourHero Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    -"Boys and Girls" is a terrible song.
    Something about the melody in the verses reminds me of the Gary Numan song Cars. But I'm not playing Gary Numan. I'm playing Good Charlotte. Sadness prevails.

And I've found that Dreaming of You has been the catchy surprise song of the game for me.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Played it for about 5 hours this evening. Bought the game to export the songs but I may end up keeping it if all DLC will transfer eventually. I like the fact that it shows scores and stars, I also like the fact that it gives full stats on setlists and to be honest just had an all around fun time playing the game iself. I like the way story mode is setup and that a portion of my total DLC transfered over to play on that mode. The setlist I wasnt sure about at first but there was a bunch I wanted and a bunch I didnt know, but I was pleasantly surprised at the sound of the song selections. There is a lot of good music on this game. Now if there is no lag in freeplay mode then it is a keeper(havent tried FP yet)
    edited November 2009
    -The animation on the "Ghostbusters" challenge had me chuckling.

-More than ever, there are parts made for the guitar that are not actually guitar sounds. The "We Will Rock You" stomping claps, for example. In "Ghostbusters," it sounds like you're playing the organ, but maybe the guitar's just hidden.
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I had a party last night, we played some normal rock band for a while, then my mother came back from work with LEgo Rock Band (I don't live at home, I am visiting) and we popped it in. Everyone got to make their characters, and then we started.

1 - The opening scene was hilarious! we ALL were laughing up a storm!

2 - after that, we played a bunch of songs, loving the song selection, till Tick Tick Boom showed up, and that challenge mode thingie was just plain gold.

3 - We kept playing till we got to the ghostbusters challenge, and we all finished on an incredibly high note.

Everyone loved playing it, and we plan on doing the same today.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2009
    What I've played of the game so far has been fun. I tend to have a bit of difficulty hitting the notes when the track lights up after hitting the white Overdrive notes, and still getting used to the blocks...but other than that, the play is fun.

I like the fact that your score is the amount of studs you receive, and that it is a group money pot. No individual earnings makes Lego Life better (as in all their games, it's a collective effort).

Okay, the only problem I have so far IS with the character customization. I love 'em and think they're cute but I'm surprised you couldn't do something simple as change the hand/body color to match the face (I guess 'Lego Skin Orange' isn't a fav color of mine). I don't like being stuck with the default skin color of the outfit, and most the time it doesn't match face or legs. So I wish they had implemented that part. Everything else is good so far :)
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    The game is pretty damn cool. I was really suprised by how clean it is. I only got to the 3rd venue because we ended up doing some DLC. Out of the 670+ dlc I have, 323 songs came over. Which is very cool.
    nolanandrew;3214636 said:
    2. I've only "failed" once (on "Grace" vocals- I just don't know the song), but apparently you don't fail. You just lose all the studs you've obtained. Then they quickly put you back in the game and let you try to win them back. The thing is, I voxtar, and the guitarist is the "leader" of the band. It seems like they give the lion's share of the studs to the leader. At the end of every song, the guitarist has gotten hundreds of thousands of studs, while the singer usually gets around 850. I don't think the disparity in play would explain that, and I play both on expert.
    I dont get this. I played with 4 people last night and all of our studs were pooled into one pile. It never showed player one gets this many studs. Maybe you are looking at the fans you made?
    -Oh, almost forgot. I am COMPLETELY annoyed by all the self-promoting Lego facts on the load screens, and there are a lot more load screens in this game than RB2. I don't care how many lego bricks there are for each person on earth or the "Lego Legend" of Farmer Bob's Lego farm. Every once in a while a Lego fact gives way to something about music, but the screen usually cuts out before you can read it. Grrrr. These in-game ads are actually having an adverse effect and making me want to buy Legos less.
    This is a joke right? Its a Lego game. How can you call it an in-game advert when the game is based on a product in the first place? I liked the facts. Now that ive read them I will ignore them.
    Kidmitt;3214871 said:
    I found the vocals to be a lot harder. Granted, I only moved to expert a few weeks ago, but the songs I know best on this game I was struggling to get 5 stars on, while in RB2 I can GS a few of them. Also, I've only done 5-6 songs on vox, but I have yet to find any cowbell/tambourine parts. Are they still around?
    The three of us that sang last night all agreed that it doesnt pick up your voice as well. They were getting low scores on songs they knew they could do on hard on RB2.
    edited November 2009
    I dont get this. I played with 4 people last night and all of our studs were pooled into one pile. It never showed player one gets this many studs. Maybe you are looking at the fans you made?

I meant at the end when it shows who earned how many studs, and before it pools them into a common account.

This is a joke right? Its a Lego game. How can you call it an in-game advert when the game is based on a product in the first place? I liked the facts. Now that ive read them I will ignore them.

Sure, the claim could be made "Just ignore them." You could say that about anything. But they're incredibly repetitive and annoying. It's advertising for other Lego products. I just don't like the sell, sell, sell aspect.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I'm really enjoying the game for itself. Lot's of lol moments so far, I love the minifig versions of the stock RB characters.

My biggest LOL of the night- first mystery setlist = Headphones On by Miranda Cosgrove.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2009
    nolanandrew;3215947 said:

I meant at the end when it shows who earned how many studs, and before it pools them into a common account.

Sure, the claim could be made "Just ignore them." You could say that about anything. But they're incredibly repetitive and annoying. It's advertising for other Lego products. I just don't like the sell, sell, sell aspect.
    Regarding the studs:
    I think it's just all collective, and not through individual earnings. At least I didn't notice it showing per person at the end of the song, it was just the score total that went into the pools. The fans earned are on the right and were significantly lower than the studs, I at first thought this was the division but quickly figured it out.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    nolanandrew;3215947 said:

It's advertising for other Lego products. I just don't like the sell, sell, sell aspect.
    You mean a Lego game is trying to get people to buy...........LEGO sets?

Can you sell out?!?!?!?

:rolleyes:
  • NickyStardustNickyStardust Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Bought it yesterday but didn't get a chance to play except for 2-3 songs in Quickplay. I was suprised that Awesome wasn't the the top for vocals anymore. Can't wait to get home tonight to play the story mode...read a lot of positive things on here so far.
    edited November 2009
    folkeye;3215995 said:
    Regarding the studs:
    I think it's just all collective, and not through individual earnings. At least I didn't notice it showing per person at the end of the song, it was just the score total that went into the pools. The fans earned are on the right and were significantly lower than the studs, I at first thought this was the division but quickly figured it out.
    I am an idiot. I thought the thing on the right was the singer's studs and the thing on the left was the guitarists. I didn't realize the number on the right were fans. It now makes sense why it's always so much lower. I have no idea why I didn't figure that out myself. Thanks.
  • BullseyeBullseye Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Flux_Capacitor22;3214965 said:

2. Check Yes Juliet is wearing out it's welcome very quickly. It has a habit of popping into every mystery setlist, and this is with 250some available DLC.
    I thought it was stated that the DLC wouldn't show up in the mystery set (mystery song since it's only 1?) but I can't seem to find the source in the Rumor/fact thread. Getting the same song every time does suck though.

P.S. Did nolanandrew just say he wanted to buy Legolas because of the loading screens?