Ups and Downs of LRB on Wii

Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Just bought Lego Rock Band for Wii, took it home after work and spent some time having a blast with it. So far I've played story mode through the Ghostbusters challenge and on to the Pirate ship, and I think I can make a decent judgement of how the Wii version fares...

First things first: Lego Rock Band is a wonderful, funny, charming, incredibly fun game. Its humor and good nature fill every moment, starting with the RB loadscreen silhouette parody and the awesome Lego version of the RB tiger. The story mode, with characters, pieces and objects constantly unlocking, is very hard to stop playing.

I love this game. Even on Wii...

For any curious Wii owners out there who haven't bought LRB yet, here's a rundown of what to expect from this version...besides the fact that Wii's edition is a standalone game with no DLC available.

The Good News: The game's creators took a look at what Wii can and can't do, and did a decent job of prioritizing to make sure we got a solid version of the game.

1) It plays great.
2) The Lego customization features are all present, and work perfectly.
3) The band and all characters look terrific.
4) Lighting effects in place.
5) Presentation's solid, with one weird exception (see below)...

The Bad News: (And it's not that bad) Stop watching those youtube videos of the 360 and PS3 versions. Pretend they don't exist, okay? This is the compromise we make for getting to play LRB on our Wii Sports Resort/Wii Fit/New Super Mario Bros. machine. The note highway looks awesome. The Lego Band looks great. The crowds...not as crowded. You did expect that, right? The venues themselves...Ugh. This is the part that took the biggest hit to keep the game playing smoothly. Blurry, grainy, fuzzy.

Your band's animations don't have the high frame rate you'll find on the other consoles, either. In the Wii version, gameplay animation looks a lot like stop-motion ala Nightmare Before Christmas. Considering they're Lego people, it actually looks rather natural....

That's about it, really. Not so bad. Oh, except for that thing I mentioned above--A weird glitch in the presentation: Each performance begins with dead silence. You see the venue, you see your band, you see the cheering crowd, and you hear...nothing. No sound at all until the song actually starts playing. Then all the crowd and ambient sounds come rushing in with the music. Blurry venues aside, this is the only thing that really bothers me. I can live with it: The game's still great (and at least the crowd sounds don't shut off when the song ends!) Still, I wonder what the issue was. RB2 and The Beatles have no problem at all in this department.

All in all, it holds up pretty well. Can't wait to play it some more: It's a keeper.

Comments

• ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I still say Pi should have developed it instead.
  • BoondockerBoondocker Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    GNFfhqwhgads;3214778 said:
    You didn't mention how you get no DLC in the game and it doesn't export.
    He did mention the DLC. I'd also argue that anyone who's stepped onto the forums knows that it doesn't export by now.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    ArchangelZero;3214785 said:
    I still say Pi should have developed it instead.
    A collaboration between Pi and TT would have been awesome. :) TT brought their Lego franchise expertise, and it shows: The humor in this game really makes it fly.

Still, one can't help but wonder if Pi would've made DLC possible and cleared up that weird sound issue at each song's start...
  • ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Rich T.;3214820 said:
    A collaboration between Pi and TT would have been awesome. :) TT brought their Lego franchise expertise, and it shows: The humor in this game really makes it fly.

Still, one can't help but wonder if Pi would've made DLC possible and cleared up that weird sound issue at each song's start...
    That's exactly what I mean. Pi be the main developer, but have TT co-develop, that way we get the best Lego RB game possible.:)
  • JRJathomeJRJathome Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    The lack of DLC makes this essentially a track pack, but they want to sell it for the same price as the other consoles. It's a rip off and I refuse to buy.
    edited November 2009
    JRJathome;3214961 said:
    The lack of DLC makes this essentially a track pack, but they want to sell it for the same price as the other consoles. It's a rip off and I refuse to buy.
    I'm bummed about the lack of DLC too, but this is far more than just a track pack: It's a full-blown, lovingly-made Lego-tastic rock music comedy adventure. If you're at all a fan of the Lego universe, you'll have a ball. I just put another hour into it, and it's 100% entertaining, despite being hobbled in the DLC department.

Totally understand your pain, though.
  • FinnulfFinnulf Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I held out in hopes that they were going to try and knock our socks off with some kind of "don't be so negative" one-two punch... alas, all of the rumours are true. I am disappointed to miss out on the tracks in this game, but I refuse to spend one shiny Canadian penny on this insult. Clearly TT did not have their finger on the pulse of the Wii/RB fanbase.
  • InsanityExInsanityEx Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'm sorry Rich T. Even if the game is "funny" and "works great on Wii", it's still missing so many core elements that made Rock Band a great series. Take a look at RB1, it "works well" and "plays well" but it was missing DLC and online therefore lots of people didn't get it. Now RB2 and TB:RB are sequels that IMPROVED over RB1 which is something that should happen. How can L:RB take a HUGE step backwards into the Wii RB1 period?! If I wanted a game on Wii that "works" and "looks good on Wii" with no online or DLC, I'd rather get Metroid Prime Trilogy.

And like someone else said before, let Pi make the Wii games from now on and NEVER let TTGames touch RB ever again!

EDIT: Having said that, I'll probably get the game just for the songs and the possibility that it might be exportable to the future "RB3". No rush, I'll get it when I have time and cash and might wait for a price drop or pick up a second hand copy.
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    It seems that they want to test whether they can sell a lot of games without selling on the Wii. I'm going to make a guess and say this will prove to be a gigantic blunder. Even if people buy it initially, the lack of any real longevity will put it very quickly onto the Used shelves. Once I can buy it slightly used for $40, why would I buy it new?
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    vcalzone;3215203 said:
    It seems that they want to test whether they can sell a lot of games without selling on the Wii. I'm going to make a guess and say this will prove to be a gigantic blunder. Even if people buy it initially, the lack of any real longevity will put it very quickly onto the Used shelves. Once I can buy it slightly used for $40, why would I buy it new?
    Maybe this is a test...that decides whether there will be a wii version of RB3...
    (I bought a used version of wii rb1 for $5 on ebay...)
    edited November 2009
    InsanityEx;3215180 said:
    I'm sorry Rich T. Even if the game is "funny" and "works great on Wii", it's still missing so many core elements that made Rock Band a great series. Take a look at RB1, it "works well" and "plays well" but it was missing DLC and online therefore lots of people didn't get it. Now RB2 and TB:RB are sequels that IMPROVED over RB1 which is something that should happen. How can L:RB take a HUGE step backwards into the Wii RB1 period?!
    First, I totally understand your frustration: I'm certainly not happy about the DLC issue.

But, this isn't a step all the way back to RB1 territory: RB1 Wii had more issues than no DLC, such as canned animation of the band that had no real interaction with the song.

Unless someone from Harmonix or TT tells us, we can only speculate about what happened with the DLC. Is something about the family-filter incompatible with Nintendo's download structure? Did an accountant do a spreadsheet that showed the number of Wii LRB purchasers who'd go online and buy music didn't justify the cost to implement a music store? Did they run of time to make it work and had to cut it? We may never know.

I'm looking at the bright side, and the bright side is that it's still an awesome game that I had to force myself to stop playing so that I could get up and go to work this morning. :) The amount of customization and story content, the very, very replayable playlist and the sheer entertainmaint value still makes it a good purchase: I haven't had this much fun with a game since...well, since the Beatles.

Still, this is--indeed--the game that may make me buy a 360 sometime in the near future. I like it so much that I do want to play more songs on it and see venue renderings that don't make my eyes hurt. :) Comparing it to the Wii version of The Beatles, the omissions here are a bigger deal.

In the meantime, though, I'll still enjoy this version, warts and all. Glad to hear you may pick it up anyway for the music: The track list certainly is a blast: Even more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

And, I'm not saying we shouldn't complain about the DLC thing: We should. It is a big deal. Not a game-killer for me, but a definite problem.
  • SuperDaddy-oSuperDaddy-o Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Hey Rich T., do the crowds sing along on some of the songs? I heard it mentioned that there are sing alongs on some songs from Sayburr's thread. I know Wii RB2 missed out on the crowd sing-alongs and I was wondering if they made it into LRB?
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    esquehill;3215478 said:
    Maybe this is a test...that decides whether there will be a wii version of RB3...
    (I bought a used version of wii rb1 for $5 on ebay...)

If there is an RB3 (and I think that is 99.9999% for sure), it is 100% for sure they will issue a Wii version. HMX/Pi just have some catching up to do in the features dept.
    edited November 2009
    jwebb1970;3215814 said:
    If there is an RB3 (and I think that is 99.9999% for sure), it is 100% for sure they will issue a Wii version.
    Well, we heard it here first. :rolleyes:
    edited November 2009
    SuperDaddy-o;3215575 said:
    Hey Rich T., do the crowds sing along on some of the songs? I heard it mentioned that there are sing alongs on some songs from Sayburr's thread. I know Wii RB2 missed out on the crowd sing-alongs and I was wondering if they made it into LRB?
    Haven't encountered any yet...and the last thing I did was play Walking on Sunshine as a custom setlist in the speedway to check that out. No sing-along, but there could be a different mix as part of story mode. I'll let you know if I find it.
  • 16BitAlex16BitAlex Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Finnulf;3215089 said:
    I held out in hopes that they were going to try and knock our socks off with some kind of "don't be so negative" one-two punch... alas, all of the rumours are true. I am disappointed to miss out on the tracks in this game, but I refuse to spend one shiny Canadian penny on this insult. Clearly TT did not have their finger on the pulse of the Wii/RB fanbase.
    InsanityEx;3215180 said:
    I'm sorry Rich T. Even if the game is "funny" and "works great on Wii", it's still missing so many core elements that made Rock Band a great series. Take a look at RB1, it "works well" and "plays well" but it was missing DLC and online therefore lots of people didn't get it. Now RB2 and TB:RB are sequels that IMPROVED over RB1 which is something that should happen. How can L:RB take a HUGE step backwards into the Wii RB1 period?! If I wanted a game on Wii that "works" and "looks good on Wii" with no online or DLC, I'd rather get Metroid Prime Trilogy.

And like someone else said before, let Pi make the Wii games from now on and NEVER let TTGames touch RB ever again!
    These. I refuse to buy the track packs.

Developers are goading Wii owners to jump ship.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    The Wii version of LRB only has "ups" if you compare it to Wii trackpacks and Wii RB1, and even then you must also completely ignore some of TBRB's features that managed to upgrade the Wii experience.

Compared system-wide in terms of features and functionality, it's almost, no, it IS all downhill for the Wii owners.

I just kinda feel bad because this game will likely sell best on the console it works worst on. :(
    edited November 2009
    Monkeyfish, all I can tell you is that the incredible fun I'm having with this game counts as the most important "Up" for me. I'd hate for Wii owners to miss out on it because of its technical weaknesses. I think it's worth gettiing, but I agree the lack of DLC is worth complaining about...between sets. :)
    edited November 2009
    I don't really understand the 'lack of DLC' thing. Can someone clarify what the differences are?

Is it that the Wii version doesn't show DLC that the user had previously bought for RB2? Is it that there's no Music Store in the Wii version of Lego RB, but there is in the Xbox and PS3 versions? Is there future DLC that will only be released for Lego RB?
    edited November 2009
    Sadly. the Wii version is a stand-alone island of a game, with no ability to add any songs. As a stand-alone game, it rocks and is great fun. Compared to the download and export abilities of the other consoles' versions, however...well...Wii owners have cause to grouse.
    edited November 2009
    Rich T.;3217766 said:
    Sadly. the Wii version is a stand-alone island of a game, with no ability to add any songs. As a stand-alone game, it rocks and is great fun. Compared to the download and export abilities of the other consoles' versions, however...well...Wii owners have cause to grouse.
    That only sort of answered my question. To clarify, are you saying that the Wii version just doesn't recognize any DLC at all, and you can only ever play the Lego RB setlist?
  • TheLovelyNoiseTheLovelyNoise Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Boondocker;3217818 said:
    That only sort of answered my question. To clarify, are you saying that the Wii version just doesn't recognize any DLC at all, and you can only ever play the Lego RB setlist?
    correct
    edited November 2009
    Wow.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • bradylicious9bradylicious9 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    does anyone know where a peripheral compatibility chart for wii, L:RB is?
  • DeezUUDeezUU Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    If I want DLC, I'll pop in RB2. That's gonna keep my kids from asking to download every song available. My older boy (9) is already a RB fan, but my wee grom (8) >> not so much. Adding the LEGO twist to the game will bring him onboard for sure. I've got the game sitting on my end table right now (it's bedtime for the kids and I don't wanna wake em) so the jam session will have to wait until tomorrow night but I really can't wait to crack this game open and play a nice light hearted version of a game I already love.
    edited November 2009
    bradylicious9;3218002 said:
    does anyone know where a peripheral compatibility chart for wii, L:RB is?
    Haven't seen one yet, but I imagine it's the same as TB:RB. I can tell you I'm using a GH3 guitar and Disney-branded logictech mic, and both work perfectly.
  • New_BeeNew_Bee Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I must know: Does l:rb have crowd singalongs in the wii version?
    edited November 2009
    New_Bee;3218503 said:
    I must know: Does l:rb have crowd singalongs in the wii version?
    I've put several hours into story mode now, and--while I'm having a great time--I have to say no. So far, no sing-along crowds, and it looks like there aren't going to be any. If I discover differently, I'll post a note right away. But, at this point, I think it's safe to say "No."
  • InsanityExInsanityEx Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Rich T., as a final note I just want to say I applaud you for your patience. Half of me wants the game badly for the great songs but the other half is telling me not to spend my cash on a track pack :(
    edited November 2009
    InsanityEx;3219186 said:
    Rich T., as a final note I just want to say I applaud you for your patience.
    Patience...or just a state of denial? :)

Hmmm...From the boards, it seems the 360 & PS3 versions have a tendency to freeze up on players. Could it be that, if nothing else, we got the best-playing version? (We certainly didn't get the best-looking one...) :)