RB2 songs in LRB?

ToddlerTNToddlerTN Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I own RB1, RB2, tond of DLC and now of course LRB. I bought LRB because I have young kids, and the kid-friendly features make it much more accessible (and fun) for us to play together. Basically it is a kid-friendly engine for the vast Rock Band song library.

Is there any way to export the RB2 songs so that they are playable in LRB? If not, it sure seems like an oversight. We can play all the RB1 and DLC tracks, but how do we get some of those great songs from RB2 to play in LRB?

Comments

• ExplodingTurnipsExplodingTurnips Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    At the moment, Rock Band 2 isn't exportable to any other Rock Band game.
    I would imagine that that would become possible with the announcement/release of Rock Band 3.
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited November 2009
    ExplodingTurnips;3215963 said:
    At the moment, Rock Band 2 isn't exportable to any other Rock Band game.
    I would imagine that that would become possible with the announcement/release of Rock Band 3.
    Likewise.

But not all the songs, of course.
  • ToddlerTNToddlerTN Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Well then, HMX really disappoints me on this one. Is LRB a full-fledged game or a track pack? I can't believe I'm the only parent excited about the kid-friendly engine but unhappy that we can't play any RB2 songs.
  • idlephaseidlephase Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    ToddlerTN;3216002 said:
    Well then, HMX really disappoints me on this one. Is LRB a full-fledged game or a track pack? I can't believe I'm the only parent excited about the kid-friendly engine but unhappy that we can't play any RB2 songs.
    It's somewhere in between the two.
  • iagomonkiagomonk Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    ToddlerTN;3216002 said:
    There are a lot more songs available through download than the handful that come on your RB2 disc. Big picture, k?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    OrdealByFire;3215974 said:
    But not all the songs, of course.
    Of course? Why, because RB1 didn't? That's a very short-sighted and naive view. We've heard that after RB1, all songs for Rock Band (whether RB2 disc or DLC) are licensed now for the platform, not the individual game.

If and when an RB2 export function is announced, I expect it to include all of the RB2 disc songs.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2009
    No, because not all the RB2 songs are kid friendly.

Only 22 of the 55 RB1 songs work with Lego RB.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3216120 said:
    Of course? Why, because RB1 didn't? That's a very short-sighted and naive view. We've heard that after RB1, all songs for Rock Band (whether RB2 disc or DLC) are licensed now for the platform, not the individual game.

If and when an RB2 export function is announced, I expect it to include all of the RB2 disc songs.
    I think he meant that not all of them would pass through the content filter for LRB.
    edited November 2009
    Transbrak;3216130 said:
    I think he meant that not all of them would pass through the content filter for LRB.
    I don't think so. He was responding to a post that was talking about exporting RB2 songs when RB3 was announced.
    edited November 2009
    iagomonk;3216071 said:
    There are a lot more songs available through download than the handful that come on your RB2 disc. Big picture, k?
    I'll be disappointed if I want to be. Some of my kids' favorite songs are in RB2. Even if I could pay for them individually as DLC, I'd do it.
    edited November 2009
    noble;3216127 said:
    No, because not all the RB2 songs are kid friendly.

Only 22 of the 55 RB1 songs work with Lego RB.
    Transbrak;3216130 said:
    Not at all what I meant. I actually like the content filter, it's another reason I bought LRB. I simply want to be able to play RB2 songs in LRB just like we can play RB1 songs and DLC. There's no other way for my kids to play songs like Paramore's "That's What You Get" in LRB.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited November 2009
    ToddlerTN;3216167 said:
    Not at all what I meant. I actually like the content filter, it's another reason I bought LRB. I simply want to be able to play RB2 songs in LRB just like we can play RB1 songs and DLC. There's no other way for my kids to play songs like Paramore's "That's What You Get" in LRB.
    Go back and read the conversation I was in no way referring to you. Neither was Noble.
    edited November 2009
    I still can't tell what Noble was referring to, or you for that matter. Guess I'm thick.

Regardless, I guess HMX didn't consider LRB a full-fledged game and therefore didn't worry about making the RB2 content available. Guess I should have asked about that before buying LRB.
    edited November 2009
    ToddlerTN;3216200 said:
    Regardless, I guess HMX didn't consider LRB a full-fledged game and therefore didn't worry about making the RB2 content available. Guess I should have asked about that before buying LRB.
    So in your opinion, LRB is not a full-fledged game because you can't play content from ANOTHER full-fledged game in it?

O....k...
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3216313 said:
    So in your opinion, LRB is not a full-fledged game because you can't play content from ANOTHER full-fledged game in it?

O....k...
    No, I'm saying HMX apparently isn't treating LRB as a full-fledged replacement for RB2, like they looked at RB2 as a full-fledged replacement for RB1.

RB1 was a full-fledged game. You can play RB1 content in RB2 and LRB. You can play RB1 and LRB content in RB2. They covered all the bases except for playing RB2 content in LRB.

I understand why you guys don't care. Most of you are just treating LRB like a track pack, exporting the songs to use RB2 as the primary engine. But families with young kids will want to treat it the other way, using LRB as the primary engine.

For families, LRB could have been a full-fledged replacement for RB2. It makes everything more accessible to my kids, and gives me content filtering, which I appreciate as a parent. Unfortunately, you can't get to the RB2 songs with LRB.

That's why I feel like HMX dropped the ball for families with young kids, which is sort-of the target demographic for LRB. Is it really that unreasonable? Seems like that feedback would be welcome.

I'm simply disappointed in how it currently works, and I hope at least when HMX does decide to make RB2 content exportable that it will be playable in LRB, just like RB1 content and DLC.
  • neo031162neo031162 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I agree with the OP, this seems like an oversight. I think at some point, there will be an export function for RB2 songs, but LRB may not be the catalyst for it...
    edited November 2009
    ToddlerTN;3216348 said:
    No, I'm saying HMX apparently isn't treating LRB as a full-fledged replacement for RB2, like they looked at RB2 as a full-fledged replacement for RB1.
    That's because RB2 is the next game in the path of RB games, hence why the number in the title incremented to "2". LRB is not. It's a separate game, with a different target audience, developed by a different company (Traveller's Tales).

It's not Rock Band 3. It's Lego: Rock Band.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    ToddlerTN;3216348 said:
    Its not a replacement. A replacement for RB2 would be..........wait for it.................wait for it......................RB3.
    edited November 2009
    neo031162;3216454 said:
    I agree with the OP, this seems like an oversight. I think at some point, there will be an export function for RB2 songs, but LRB may not be the catalyst for it...
    Thanks, at least somebody gets it.

Maybe you guys aren't aware that Band Hero treats matters exactly as I wished for LRB.

"The week Band Hero hits store shelves, 69 tracks from the acclaimed Guitar Hero 5 will be available to import for Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft for 480 Microsoft Points, on the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system for $5.99, and Wii for 600 Wii Points. In addition, 61 of the chart-topping hits featured in Band Hero can be imported into Guitar Hero 5 for Xbox 360 for 420 Microsoft Points, on the PlayStation 3 system for $4.99, and Wii for 500 Wii Points. The previously released forward compatible songs from Guitar Hero World Tour and Guitar Hero Smash Hits will also be available for import into Band Hero at launch. Finally, Guitar Hero fans can play almost all of their previously purchased Guitar Hero downloadable content in Band Hero, for a music library of up to 300 tracks."

Maybe I invested in the wrong franchise,
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    ToddlerTN;3216551 said:
    Maybe I invested in the wrong franchise,
    Naaa you didnt. You are just going to have to wait until RB3 comes out before we get an export for RB2. Until then you can enjoy about 400+ songs on LRB.

It just wouldnt make sense for a RB2 export right now. Since not all the songs will transfer over. You would be paying extra money for content that cant be used with any current game.

And the only way around that is for an RB2 export key that only exports the songs approiate for LRB. Then when RB3 comes out there would be ANOTHER for to export ALL of the songs for RB3.

In other words: it would be a cluster-f
  • PhisioniPhisioni Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I think it'd be pretty sweet if RB2 could export, because then we could play those tunes in TB:RB. I mean, who doesn't wanna see Paul sing Panic Attack? Or would that be a George tune...
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    neo031162;3216454 said:
    I agree with the OP, this seems like an oversight.
    How is it an oversight? What would be the point of offering the full RB2 export when the only game it'd be useful in would be LEGO? Because the day after that happens the next set of threads would be "WAAAAAH I paid for an export and now I can't see all the songs in LEGO! WAAAA!"

Good lord....is it ever enough for you people?
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited November 2009
    I was wondering the same thing too, seems stupid to me, I wish all the songs went into lego, I would quit rock band 2 all together.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    It should be obvious by now that not all of RB2's 84 songs would be LEGO appropriate. And since that is the only game that would really benefit from supporting these songs, there's no point in charging for a full export at this time.
  • AviStettoAviStetto Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I pretty much agree with the OP.

One of the things that I have wished for in RB was some way to filter the content. Ideally, I would be able to flag each song to indicate if it should be included in the play lists (for custom setlists or random setlists). LRB semmed like the next best thing. I wouldn't have control over each song, but at least the least family-friendly songs would be filtered out.

I was happy to see that my RB1 and my DLC (pretty much ALL of my DLC) automatically show up in my song list.

When RB2 songs can be added to the song list, LRB will basically replace RB2 for me. The ability to choose either the E10 rated or T rated versions is a big win for people who want to play in a family-friendly setting (This also applies to the graphics, and not just the songs).

And while I'm dreaming, the ability to play Beatles Lego Rock Band would make the whole thing complete!

-Avi Stetto
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3217238 said:
    It should be obvious by now that not all of RB2's 84 songs would be LEGO appropriate. And since that is the only game that would really benefit from supporting these songs, there's no point in charging for a full export at this time.
    You've completely missed the point. I am a parent with young kids. I know full well that not all songs in RB2 are LEGO-appropriate. That's exactly why I wish I could export the RB2 songs and have the LEGO-appropriate ones show up in LRB--just like LEGO-appropriate exported RB1 songs already do.

So what if you'd be paying for songs that don't show up in LRB? You'd know that going in, and that's your choice. And when RB3 is available, all of those exported RB2 songs would already be there. So that is not a waste at all.

Exporting the RB2 songs is a feature that everyone presumes will be offered at some point. All I'm asking is for them to offer it now. Some of us would take advantage of it, and some of us wouldn't. Seems like it would only make LRB that much more attractive to families, which (despite the fact that most of you are simply using it as a track pack for RB2) is the primary target audience for LRB.