Question for thoes complaining about the "All or Nothing" export

T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I've seen a number of people comment that the "all or nothing" style in which LEGO exports means that they are essentially "stuck" with a bunch of songs they consider to be junk and filler.

My question for those people is: Why areyou even considering buying the disc in the first place?

I mean, seriously, it's quite confusing. Why would anybody spend $60 for a game in which they don't like a large portion of the setlist? Heck, why would you drop the $50 on the game in the first place?

LEGO isn't just another Track Pack, it's full game with it's own unique features and presentation. You're spending $50 on a whole new game, and have the option of doing a $10 export if you like the setlist enough to want it available to the full platform.

But it's no different than RB1, or RB2, or heck even The Beatles had it been available for export. Either the setlist is worth the price of admission or you don't like enough of the songs to warrant purchase.

Comments

• JBurtonJBurton Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I want to question someone as to why the game cant just come with a one time key to unlock the ability to buy the key to unlock the ability to EXPORT, not download. All of this online key entering, then going on the xbox to redeem that key, then having to go into the game to complete is just crazy.

Current method:
    1. Use 16 digit One-Time use key online. Receive code.
    2. Use code to purchase key on XBL.
    3. Use key to unlock ability to download Export.

My method:
    1. Use 25 digit XBL One-Time use code. Receive unlock export key.
    2. Use unlock key to unlock ability to BUY the export key.
    3. Use export key to actually export, and not download.
    Pros - No PC required. No internet (except for XBL) required.

Sincerely,
    User that keeps getting an error that wont let me download the export.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    I really wish the RB1 export came from Xbox live. Then nobody would have gotten use to being able to delete single songs (xbox users).

But whatever. Let them voice thier opinions. Personally I prefer being thrown a song in a setlist that I really dont like..........because sometimes I start to like it. Or I find a really great drum chart.
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3216991 said:
    I really wish the RB1 export came from Xbox live. Then nobody would have gotten use to being able to delete single songs (xbox users).

But whatever. Let them voice thier opinions. Personally I prefer being thrown a song in a setlist that I really dont like..........because sometimes I start to like it. Or I find a really great drum chart.
    To me the problem isnt really the exporting as one large file. Its the downloading, non child/noob-adult friendliness, and the songs showing up as DLC in RB2.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Rockband DLC and Exportable games are like Pokemon to some... 'Gotta Catch Them All.'

Liking has nothing to do with having I guess :)
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    JBurton;3217035 said:
    To me the problem isnt really the exporting as one large file. Its the downloading, non child/noob-adult friendliness, and the songs showing up as DLC in RB2.
    ??????

Thats exactly why I made the last statement.
  • GreatWightGreatWight Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I can understand why. The amount Microsoft charges for their 60 GB and 120 GB drives is criminal. I can get terabyte external hard drives for half the price MS charges.

Storage is at a minimum on the 20GB drive (10 already taken for backward compat) 1.2 GB is a pretty good chunk out of that.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    I don't get why people would rather have the content ripped from the disc. For the RB1 export, what happens if you lose the song data? You have to go find a new disc and do it all over again. For LEGO, what happens if you lose the song data? You just go to your purchase history and redownload it. No disc needed.
    semanticantics;3216959 said:
    I fly into a blind rage and start swinging a tire iron if I hear the Spin Doctors for even a nanosecond.
    GreatWight;3217069 said:
    Storage is at a minimum on the 20GB drive (10 already taken for backward compat) 1.2 GB is a pretty good chunk out of that.
    So it comes down to "There are songs I don't want on my HDD.

Which means you aren't answering my original question...Why are you spending $50 on a setlist that contains songs you can't stand?
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3217080 said:

Which means you aren't answering my original question...Why are you spending $50 on a setlist that contains songs you can't stand?
    It doesn't mean that at all. I never said I didn't like the setlist. I am sure everyone out there has some songs they like more than others. Right now space is getting tight on my drive.

It sure would be nice if to download a new map pack that is 600 meg and I only have 400 meg free that I could delete some of the songs from LRB's 1.2GB download vs having to remove the whole thing.
    edited November 2009
    GreatWight;3217127 said:
    It sure would be nice if to download a new map pack that is 600 meg and I only have 400 meg free that I could delete some of the songs from LRB's 1.2GB download vs having to remove the whole thing.
    Maybe you should go complain to the Map Pack makers for not letting you pick and choose your map packs then. I'm sure you don't want all of them.
  • CantStopTheHoppCantStopTheHopp Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3217080 said:
    So it comes down to "There are songs I don't want on my HDD.

Because 25 awesome songs and a cool new game are worth $60 to some people. That's $2.40 per song plus a game; not a bad deal really. Now, if you don't like at least 20 of the songs, that greatly increases the cost, but I don't think it's that unreasonable.

I still have the 20GB HDD, and while I know that within a year I will most likely have to buy a bigger one, LRB just pushed that time table up a couple of months. I don't know why it had to be done this way (or if it had to be done this way at all), but the ability to delete songs after export would have made a lot of people happier without hurting anyone.
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3217143 said:
    Maybe you should go complain to the Map Pack makers for not letting you pick and choose your map packs then. I'm sure you don't want all of them.
    whatever. you asked for the reason and I gave you my reason - you don't have to agree with it.
    the real reason this is an issue I stated earlier: MS charges way too much for their hard drives - if they were reasonably priced I don't think this would be an issue at all
    edited November 2009
    It was done this way so that your LEGO Export was tied to your purchase history instead of a disc.

You know, so if your HDD goes *thpppt* you can just redownload the content instead of having to track down a replacement disc to rip from.
    GreatWight;3217178 said:
    whatever. you asked for the reason and I gave you my reason - you don't have to agree with it.
    You didn't give me a reason. You're answer was "This other game doesn't let me pick and choose content so this one should."
  • CantStopTheHoppCantStopTheHopp Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3217188 said:
    It was done this way so that your LEGO Export was tied to your purchase history instead of a disc.

You know, so if your HDD goes *thpppt* you can just redownload the content instead of having to track down a replacement disc to rip from.
    Ahh, ok, that makes sense. To me the "all or nothing" is just a minor inconvenience. I'm going to have to buy a new HDD eventually with the rate I buy DLC, and scrolling over a few songs I will most likely never play isn't a hassle.
  • edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3216919 said:
    I've seen a number of people comment that the "all or nothing" style in which LEGO exports means that they are essentially "stuck" with a bunch of songs they consider to be junk and filler.

My question for those people is: Why areyou even considering buying the disc in the first place?
    If I follow your premise you're basically saying "you must like every song on the disc, otherwise the disc is a waste." If that was truly the case, no one would ever buy a game disc in the history of music gaming.

The answer to your question is straight up simple: People don't want certain songs rammed down their throat. People would prefer a mechanism for customizing and controlling their song library. That's really all there is to it. It is especially heightened on a game disc which has many niche songs that don't appeal to a certain demographic.
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid, you tend to be extremely argumentative, and very disrespectful when people try to explain their personal opinions, which may not be the same as yours. I will make a good-faith attempt to answer your question.
    T-Hybrid;3216919 said:
    My question for those people is: Why are you even considering buying the disc in the first place?... Heck, why would you drop the $50 on the game in the first place?
    Lego Rock Band looks like it will offer a fun, family-friendly experience. My wife and two kids enjoy playing Beatles:Rock band together, and my kids are big fans of the Lego Star Wars series.

I will pick up the disc (used, from someone who has used the code) and play through this with the family. When I do this, it is as much as anything about having quality time with the kids and enjoying the funny Lego cartoons as it is about being a music critic. I will also be interested in finding out which songs appeal to my kids.

My expectations for RB2 DLC are a little different. This is a game I play more for my own enjoyment, and I am selective about the music that I put in my library. There are songs on Lego Rock Band that I'm not interested in adding to my DLC library, so I won't be using the export code.
    edited November 2009
    I bought the game. I have a disc. Why should I have to rely and wait on internet when I have a disc? Lets just say my HD does break... Hmm download a 100kb key and export off disc I already own? Or download a 1.2 gig file for 20-30 minutes (depending on how your own connection, and microsofts servers are feeling that day.) I swear they would get more exports if they did what everyone wants. And did it like I said on page 1. No PC, and minimal internet required.

There are pros and cons to Disc v. Download. Ill admit. But personally, I would want a disc. People can delete the songs they want. They can rip in 5 minutes. It deters trade ins cause you might need the disc. And it rips as a game save so when it shows up in RB2, it would show up as a LRB track.

But oh well. They cant change it now.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    JBurton;3217318 said:
    I swear they would get more exports if they did what everyone wants. And did it like I said on page 1. No PC, and minimal internet required.
    Did you take a poll? Im guessing you didnt.

I much prefer downloading from xbox live.

And yes Ive had to deal a RB1 re-export before.
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3217080 said:
    30 songs I love.
    One song I absolutely LOATHE. (theoretically. Making it up. I haven't actually heard the full setlist yet..)

So 30 songs you'd buy as individual DLC tracks for $2.00... You're saving 10 dollars before the export.

And hey...There's another 13 songs that you might end up liking! So you're basically getting 13 bonus songs.

But there's ONE SONG YOU ABSOLUTELY HATE. Wouldn't you want to get rid of it?

And if you ever wanted Visions off of your RB2 disc, or complained about Visions being in the game, then you have no right making this thread. :p
  • ShadowChaosControlShadowChaosControl Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    i'd rather get the files off the disc, that way, if for some chance my internet goes out, i'll be fine
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3217328 said:
    Did you take a poll? Im guessing you didnt.

I much prefer downloading from xbox live.

And yes Ive had to deal a RB1 re-export before.

Ahh! You really got me! I didnt take a poll!
  • SpectrixSpectrix Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    People seriously will complain about anything. If the game never existed this wouldn't even be a problem, but if you give someone something, they will either ask for more or complain about what you gave them.

If exporting had NOT been available, people would complain. The way exporting is now, people complain. If it was done another way people would find a way to complain. You can't make everyone happy.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Spectrix;3217378 said:
    ...You can't make everyone happy.
    Now THERE'S something to complain about. :p
  • Duderino_AbidesDuderino_Abides Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    HMX should just include a way to have songs not appear on your setlist in RB3. Sort of like how you uncheck songs in the latest sports game or whatever so they don't play on the menus. :)
  • dougdobermandougdoberman Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    It's been said already, but I'll reiterate it as it seems that the OP might have some difficulty understanding it, since he had the question in the first place. (Seems like an EXTREMELY obvious answer to me but ... well ... some people.)

There are 8 or so songs on here that I'd gladly pay $5 as DLC. And probably an equal amount that I'd end up happily buying at regular DLC prices. A handful more that I'm ambivelent about. And a good bunch that I've got absolutely NO interest in at all.

This IS a track pack for me. While I dig the Lego Star Wars games and will probably get Indy, I've got no interest in playing RB2 with a Lego coating. I just want the songs in with all my other songs so I don't have to swap discs to play "Kung-Fu Fighting"

I'll gladly pay the inflated price just to get the songs I want but for f's sake Harmonix, PLEASE stop saddeling me with the CRAP at the same time. I accept that the main game disc I'm playing from will have some stuff I don't want but there's no reason that anything I import from other sources needs to be that way.
  • ExplodingTurnipsExplodingTurnips Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I don't get it either.
    I didn't mind exporting all of it into RB2; that means more songs for others to pick when I play locally.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I believe it has something to do with garden gnomes, if I'm not mistaken.
  • peachtosser25peachtosser25 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    OakTea;3217334 said:
    And if you ever wanted Visions off of your RB2 disc, or complained about Visions being in the game, then you have no right making this thread. :p
    Hey, I actually like Visions. And L:RB interests me too. You can't go assuming that everyone hates harder metal. That's just plain not nice. :D
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    monkeyfish;3218122 said:
    I believe it has something to do with garden gnomes, if I'm not mistaken.
    DAMMIT! :mad:
    Can we, like, sue the Roaming Gnome from Travelocity or something? I can't STAND gnomes roaming around in my garden
  • GodKilla666GodKilla666 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Spectrix;3217378 said:
    People seriously will complain about anything. If the game never existed this wouldn't even be a problem, but if you give someone something, they will either ask for more or complain about what you gave them.

If exporting had NOT been available, people would complain. The way exporting is now, people complain. If it was done another way people would find a way to complain. You can't make everyone happy.
    the problem with having to wait to export is that LRB doesnt have online play, so we cant play the game with our online friends. this whole ps3 export is a legitimate gripe no matter how you spin it. its a bogus oversight & we have a right to be upset.
  • SpectrixSpectrix Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    You have a right to be upset? That is ridiculous. This is exactly what I was talking about, the xboxers are complaining about how the export is handled and the ps3'ers complaining that they can't export. Can't satisfy anyone nowadays!

I