IGN is full of crap (re: Wii review)

nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
edited December 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Maybe some of you think that about IGN already. :) Their review of Lego: Rock Band, where they gave it a 5.5, is completely off base.

Ok, yes we knew about no export and no DLC. And yes that sucks, especially export... I'd love to play some of these tracks in RB2 without having to switch over to Lego: RB.

But some of the other points are completely unfounded.

Bad graphics? First off, if you're worried that much about graphics, you aren't rocking hard enough. :) And second, the graphics are not horrible by any means. They may not be a shiny as the 360 or PS3, but not worth the bashing it got in that review.

And also the review complained that the text is too hard to read. Fearing another text fiasco that was GH: World Tour, I tried vocals and... no problem whatsoever. The text is fine. Makes me wonder if he was running the Wii on a 13" Goldstar TV circa 1982.

Just wanted to clear it up in case some read the review and had reservations, as I did.

I will say again, though, that the no DLC and especially no export to RB2 was an unfortunate decision.

Comments

  • foofighterfan4Mccainfoofighterfan4Mccain Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Ya stupid review, not as much as 360/ps3 due to no export/dlc but 5.5 is stupid
  • aspiringaspiring Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Still better than GH Van Halen :p
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    So right you own review. It holds just as much merit as that one.

    They gave the other versions a 7. I would have given the Wii version a 6 because of the lack of DLC and the graphics.
  • NeoxonNeoxon Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3217530 said:
    So right you own review. It holds just as much merit as that one.

    They gave the other versions a 7. I would have given the Wii version a 6 because of the lack of DLC and the graphics.
    It's because of GH5 & RB2, and the high standards they set on Wii.
  • fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited November 2009
    I still think RB2 is WAY better that GH5
  • bradylicious9bradylicious9 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    fuselage321;3217883 said:
    I still think RB2 is WAY better that GH5
    don't even compare the two..
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I would have given the Wii copy a 4.5...
  • edited November 2009
    Reviews are subjective and IMO should be taken with several grains of salt.

    No reason to go all coo-coo for cocoa-puffs about it.

    ;)

    Opinions vary wildly on just about everything, especially games and music and cars and..and... wow that list can go on forever.
  • Icarus599Icarus599 Banned
    edited November 2009
    With no export / online / dlc... 5.5 is generous. I'd have given it about a 3.

    They know a bad game when they see it.
  • InsanityExInsanityEx Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Icarus599;3218200 said:
    With no export / online / dlc... 5.5 is generous. I'd have given it about a 3.

    They know a bad game when they see it.
    Gamespot gave it a 7 and I'm thinking that's generous.
  • KingKoolBeansKingKoolBeans Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Pretty good game overall freezes sometimes, but its a really good game, the Rock Challenges (Especially Monster and Ghostbusters) were incredibly Epic, the export thing is bad, but i can wait for someone to release a patch :3
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    KingKoolBeans;3292120 said:
    Pretty good game overall freezes sometimes, but its a really good game, the Rock Challenges (Especially Monster and Ghostbusters) were incredibly Epic, the export thing is bad, but i can wait for someone to release a patch :3
    You'll be waiting a LONG time for a patch on the Wii. :)
  • ExayleExayle Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Uh oh. Are people of the internet doing that whole opinion thing again?
  • KingKoolBeansKingKoolBeans Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Or i'll wait for a hack
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Their Nintendo writers come off as Guitar Hero fanboys sometimes. I remember them praising Guitar Hero 5 for SDHC cards and SD card streaming as if they were among the game's big innovations, even though one of them is possible due to a firmware update months ago and has nothing to do with the game itself; the other Rock Band 2 beat them to a year ago.
  • nightglider1nightglider1 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    As far as reviews go, they're definitely colored by the reviewer's perceptions. Having said that, I think that it's somewhat unfair to review a Wii version compared to the 360/PS3 versions. The Wii version will always fall short. It should be (in my opinion) reviewed on its merits as a Wii title. If it falls short compared to RB/GH for the Wii, that's one thing. Marking it down because the hardware falls short is another.

    Hope that made sense.

    Much like reviews, the preceding was my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.
  • Ezekiel17Ezekiel17 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    KingKoolBeans;3292519 said:
    Or i'll wait for a hack
    Technically, there already is a hack, but it's not compatible with LRB yet...
  • Icyjoe14Icyjoe14 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I couldn't agree more that IGN Wii are guitar hero fanboys but I don't even care any more because A. I switched to 360 B. A reviewer's opinion isn't gonna stop me from making my own decisions. That said, it's gotta be hard for them to give a good score to a 45-song music game with no online, no dlc, no export.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    nightglider1;3293461 said:
    As far as reviews go, they're definitely colored by the reviewer's perceptions. Having said that, I think that it's somewhat unfair to review a Wii version compared to the 360/PS3 versions. The Wii version will always fall short. It should be (in my opinion) reviewed on its merits as a Wii title. If it falls short compared to RB/GH for the Wii, that's one thing. Marking it down because the hardware falls short is another.

    Hope that made sense.

    Much like reviews, the preceding was my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.
    I find it fair to compare a lacking Wii game with a previous, better Wii game that is in the exact same genre. There are two big components - export and DLC - that we know for a FACT are compatible. Even if we assume DLC compatibility is a no-go because they're not rated on the Wii, the lack of export is inexcusable at this point.
  • nightglider1nightglider1 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    monkeyfish;3293692 said:
    I find it fair to compare a lacking Wii game with a previous, better Wii game that is in the exact same genre. There are two big components - export and DLC - that we know for a FACT are compatible. Even if we assume DLC compatibility is a no-go because they're not rated on the Wii, the lack of export is inexcusable at this point.
    Oh, it's absolutely fair to compare Wii titles to Wii titles. I tried to get that across in my post, but it may have come out tangled. I couldn't agree more with your post.

    I just feel it's not right to rate LRB for Wii by comparing it to LRB for PS3 or 360. It's absolutely right to rate it by comparing it to previous RB/GH releases for Wii.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    nightglider1;3293852 said:
    Oh, it's absolutely fair to compare Wii titles to Wii titles. I tried to get that across in my post, but it may have come out tangled. I couldn't agree more with your post.

    I just feel it's not right to rate LRB for Wii by comparing it to LRB for PS3 or 360. It's absolutely right to rate it by comparing it to previous RB/GH releases for Wii.
    Good point. While the occasional multi-platform games are better on the Wii (Super Monkey Ball, Tiger Woods), they're usually blown away because they're either a PS2 port, or shoveled onto the system with a bad gimmick.

    But if this process is ever going to stop, I think it should be noted whether or not the developers of a game even attempted to make exclusives, amends or changes that would positively benefit the system. Since LRB has absolutely nothing to offer in this regard, it seems a worthy criticism.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    monkeyfish;3293692 said:
    I find it fair to compare a lacking Wii game with a previous, better Wii game that is in the exact same genre. There are two big components - export and DLC - that we know for a FACT are compatible.
    Just because Guitar Hero 5 pulled it off doesn't mean it was easy. That's like saying a game has bad graphics if it doesn't look as good as Mario Galaxy.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Cliphead;3294258 said:
    Just because Guitar Hero 5 pulled it off doesn't mean it was easy. That's like saying a game has bad graphics if it doesn't look as good as Mario Galaxy.
    What does difficulty have to do with anything? If the developers didn't put any effort into the product, the final price tag should reflect this.

    But since they wanted nearly full price for a game that is fundamentally gimped, I have reason to complain.
  • JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    One thing a friend of mine often said: You can't spell "ignorant" without I-G-N.
  • InsanityExInsanityEx Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    JStryker47;3295820 said:
    One thing a friend of mine often said: You can't spell "ignorant" without I-G-N.
    The review may have been really harsh but I see no reason to disagree with them. No export, no DLC, and no online play REALLY hurts this game especially when the features have all been done in other games. I'll still get this game sometime down the road just for the songs but the review does sound fair. It truly does seem like a complete waste of cash, TTGames is lucky that there are quite a few good songs I want to play on the game.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    aspiring;3217517 said:
    Still better than GH Van Halen :p
    GH: Van halen is great imo
  • varsasvarsas Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    nicko68;3217342 said:
    Bad graphics? First off, if you're worried that much about graphics, you aren't rocking hard enough. :) And second, the graphics are not horrible by any means. They may not be a shiny as the 360 or PS3, but not worth the bashing it got in that review.
    Imho this is a valid point; given what was achieved in TBRB the implementation in LRB is poor. In fact it's not even up to the standard in RB2; the game engine LRB was based on.

    I played LRB for the first time a few days ago (since I'm in Europe) and it is disappointing seeing this aspect of the game. In fact I wonder if it's a video being used like in RB1.

    On the plus side the game has been heavily discounted on launch over here in some places and I love the soundtrack.
Sign In or Register to comment.