LEGO: Rock Band Reviews

OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Post here what you think of the game. Here's my quick-without-revision review I just made. It's not very specific or whatever, but I think you'll get the idea:

Graphics: 4.25/5 The venues and the Rock Den and stuff like that look pretty good. Vibrant in color, and pretty cool. The thing is, the animations are sort of sad... I KNOW that they are LEGO's but I mean, still. That, and the drummer doesn't play along to the beat of any song at all - only the bass pedal does..

Sound: 4/5 LEGO Rock Band has a strange soundtrack. For every good song, there is 1 or 2 songs that suck. For instance, (This is my opinion of course) you've got "Fire", but then you've got "Ride a White Swan" and "Make Me Smile". There's "Ghostbusters", but there's also "Naive" - you can see where I'm going with this. LEGO Rock Band has a lot of GREAT songs and new bands to the Rock Band platform. You can also do an export for $10 on the PS3 and 360, but it should be known that you can't choose which songs you want to keep, and which you want to delete, as the file (1.28 GB, by the way) is just one hunka hunka burnin' HDD space.

Fun: 3.75/5 LEGO Rock Band is a pretty fun experience, but I can't help but think this is really a $50 - or really $60 if you pay for the export - track pack. The story is pretty fun to play through - and the cut scenes and Rock Den stuff is pretty cool. You can also use DLC you bought for Rock Band 1/2 in this game, but it should be known that only songs that past an "E" for Everyone filter will get in. For instance, I have 434 songs downloaded. When I went to make a setlist, it said I had 168. So yeah, while DLC from Rock Band 1/2 will work, not all of it does, as this is a family friendly game. LEGO Rock Band is a decent game that is well worth anybody's time that's a fan of music games... I just think this game will be much more popular for its real target audience - children.

Pros: Some great new bands, cool "new" experience
Cons: Unable to choose which bands you don't want in the export, some terrible unknown bands/songs, not all Rock Band songs work, seems like a 'kiddy track pack'

3.75/5

Comments

• A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited November 2009
    Legitimate review. Better than the IGN one IMHO (and no, not because they gave the game a 6).

Personally, I would give the game a 7/10. Although the game itself is fun, the only true reason why I bought it was for the exportable songs. The game is not much more useful than being a really large track pack, although a large portion of the songs are fantastic on their own.
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited November 2009
    A New Pyro Fool;3218812 said:
    Legitimate review. Better than the IGN one IMHO (and no, not because they gave the game a 6).

Personally, I would give the game a 7/10. Although the game itself is fun, the only true reason why I bought it was for the exportable songs. The game is not much more useful than being a really large track pack, although a large portion of the songs are fantastic on their own.
    If you're being honest, I must say. For one thing, thanks, and second, if I had thought the review out first instead of pulling it out of my ass, it would have been legendary? Lol.

I see I made some tasty grammatical mistakes in there. Numnumnumnumnum.
  • A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited November 2009
    OrdealByFire;3218827 said:
    I see I made some tasty grammatical mistakes in there. Numnumnumnumnum.
    I tried to ignore those, seeing as how IGN reviews have an editor and you don't.
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited November 2009
    Lousy editors. They miss its and it's all the time. GRRR.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I'd give it an 8 out of 10, and that's for the Wii version with all its..um...issues. The story mode is great fun, the setlist is, by far, the most consistantly entertaining of any music game I've played except for The Beatles, and--most of all--it works the Lego humor in perfectly. This game's all about good times, imagination and parody. Even with the Wii's bumped-down graphics, the game's heart comes through. And it's got werewolves! I love it.

If I had the 360 or PS3 version, I might give it a 9.
  • PhisioniPhisioni Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'd give it an 8/10, simply because of Good Charlotte, We the Kings, and a couple other bands that aren't showing up in my mental tracklist. Of course, it has Sum 41 and The Kooks, who I've wanted in RB for a good while, so it overcomes the drivel with songs I enjoy.

The story is basically if Rock Band were a game about people wanting you to play for them, rather than a game about you wanting to play for people. That alone gave me a good deal of joy. Also, I got to run away from a T-Rex. What more could I ask for?
  • MushroomMushroom Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    OrdealByFire;3218733 said:

Sound: 4/5 LEGO Rock Band has a strange soundtrack. For every good song, there is 1 or 2 songs that suck. For instance, (This is my opinion of course) you've got "Fire", but then you've got "Ride a White Swan" and "Make Me Smile". There's "Ghostbusters", but there's also "Naive" - you can see where I'm going with this. LEGO Rock Band has a lot of GREAT songs and new bands to the Rock Band platform. You can also do an export for $10 on the PS3 and 360, but it should be known that you can't choose which songs you want to keep, and which you want to delete, as the file (1.28 GB, by the way) is just one hunka hunka burnin' HDD space.
    The thing is, you say these songs are unknown. I think Thunder, Ride A White Swan and whatever that one by Razorlight is are the only songs that I have never heard on the disc. It depends on who you are.

Oddly, LRB seems very UK focused. I blame Traveller's Tales, but it's fine for me. (Make Me Smile is a CLASSIC over here)
  • playmikeplaymike Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Mushroom;3219128 said:
    The thing is, you say these songs are unknown. I think Thunder, Ride A White Swan and whatever that one by Razorlight is are the only songs that I have never heard on the disc. It depends on who you are.

Oddly, LRB seems very UK focused. I blame Traveller's Tales, but it's fine for me. (Make Me Smile is a CLASSIC over here)
    OrdealByFire has been banned, and won't be replying any more :D
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I really did not know what to expect when I put this game in the PS3 yesterday. I knew that there were some songs on this game that I would enjoy exporting back to RB2 (next week, of course :)) and would be hits at some the RB party me and the wife have every once in a while, but as far as the game-play, I had, let's just say, low expectations.

I have to admit, I could not have more suprised. I (like I'm sure many others) had gotten used to going into 'tour' (World Tour, Challenges, etc) mode and playing as many songs as possible in as short of a time as possible in order to unlock all of the songs. This mode really can stagnate very quickly without any type of story-line. Lego: Rock Band, however, was the first time in a while where I was actually excited to move on in the tour/story. Many times, I would simply play the songs I wanted which were unlocked and be happy with that. With this game, though, I felt like the story was enjoyable enough that I could take my time and have fun again. Although I'm not the 'target' audience for this game, I thought that the story was a very fun part of the game and added some type of 'change' from what normal Music games do.

Graphics: 4/5
    The presentation looks nice, especially the added Rock Den and the venues. Personally, I was not all that fond of the lego blocks for notes on the note highway. Playing expert drums, I sometimes found it difficult to see some of the 'close together' blocks (quick rolls). I'm sure that this will just take a bit of time to get used to, but I believe that when I export these songs to RB2 that I will enjoy the playing a bit more than here in Lego: Rock Band. The Rock Den, is a great idea that I think could be expanded on in future Rock Band games.

Sound: 4.25/5
    This will all come down to personal opinion, I know. I always like having 'extra' or 'more' songs to play. Of course, there are some songs which I dislike so far, but I believe that the songs which I enjoy more than make up for this. One difference I noticed between L:RB and RB2 is that when you miss notes, it is harder to 'hear' that you missed them.

Fun: 4/5
    This game will be fun until I complete the story mode. Once I am able to export, I really doubt that this game will get much more playtime. Like I said earlier, I didn't expect to play this game much, so the fact that I am still looking forward to playing it some more once I get off work is a good thing. Children will enjoy both the story and the lego's, so that is a plus.

Pros: New songs (always a good thing)
    Pretty nifty story mode
    Additions of things like the Rock Den would be great in future RB releases

Cons: Hard to tell when you miss notes
    Sometimes the note chart is difficult to interpret (Ho/Pos, drums rolls)
    Once story mode is over, I think I would rather play the songs on RB2

Overall: 4/5
  • Reba06Reba06 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I really like the lego rock band, its childish and a little goofy, but i really enjoy it. i only wish i could play all of my dlc as well as the rb2 songs