Rock Band 3 - Rumors and Facts - updated Oct 27

SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
edited November 2010 in Rock Band
Updated Oct 27 - Game has been released! Go buy it and enjoy it. This thread will no longer be updated.

All known information about the game are in the first six posts of this thread

Please note: This thread is maintained by a fan and unless someone from Harmonix has confirmed the information: everything within this thread is a rumor. This is NOT an OFFICIAL Rock Band 3 thread maintained by Harmonix, because of this there will be misinformation contained herein.

Videos (gameplay and song)
Click here for All Video Links

Please remember, this is very important, until someone from Harmonix confirms it, it will not happen.

Release Information
Due to a licensing issue, there will be no keyboard/game bundle for the PS3 in the USA. Harmonix is working with retailers to try and honor already placed pre-orders - Rockband.com

Official Ship date Oct 26 for North America and Oct 29 for UK

Game - $59.99 all three systems and $29.99 Nintendo DS
Basic Guitar - $60
Fender Mustang-Pro Controller - $149 – Picture
Squire Stratocaster Guitar/Controller - ??? – Picture - Produced by Fender, not MadCatz - Fender Press Release
hmxhenry;4103238 said:
In the interest of nipping this thing in the bud, the official price for the Fender Squier has not been confirmed. This report mistakenly listed the pricing on the existing 5 button full wood body RB Strat made by MadCatz as the pricing for the RB3 Squier by Fender Stratocaster. We'll be announcing pricing for the Squier with Fender very soon, so be sure to stay tuned to the Announcement forums for updates.
RB3 Drum Controller - $130
New Cymbal Kit - $40
New Wireless Drum Kit - $129 - GameStop release Oct 19. No details.
MIDI game input for Drums or Keyboard - $40 – Picture
Keyboard Controller (Wireless) - $80 – Prototype Picture
Keyboard/Game Bundle - $130 (not available for PS3 in North and Central America)
Microphone - $30

For International Pricing, click here

Pre-order Specials
GameStop - Three songs for free: Talking Heads "Burning Down The House : Deftones "My Own Summer" : New Order "Blue Monday" for 360 and PS3 only. Sorry Wii owners. [The Gamestop Bonus songs] will be available to purchase once the exclusivity period has ended (no word on how long that may be).

Amazon.com - $10 off next video game purchase and an in-game guitar

Walmart.com - $10 off next purchase

Bestbuy.com - in-game guitar

Miscellaneous Information
Harmonix co-founder and CEO Alex Rigopolous said “We’ve actually made a choice to break out of the annual release cycle for Rock Band this year [2009]. [This is] partly because the annual cycle places limits on the choices you can make as a developer. We’re trying to take a long term view.” Crispy Gamer

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Viacom Inc. (VIA) Chief Executive Philippe Dauman said Tuesday the media giant will release a third version of its music video game franchise "Rock Band" in time for the 2010 holiday season.

At an investor conference in Florida, Dauman said Viacom has reached a new agreement with Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS), which will distribute "Rock Band 3."

The news comes after the financial performance of the game has consistently weighed on Viacom’s overall results and disappointed investors, but Dauman said weakness in the overall economy has hurt the video game industry and he expects sales and profitability to improve.

Despite its financial disappointments, "Rock Band" has been a hit with consumers, and it has been held up as a growth opportunity for the music industry as the business shifts to software and music downloads from its initial phase of low-margin hardware sales.

- By Nat Worden, Dow Jones Newswires

The game... will innovate and revolutionize the music genre once again, just as Harmonix did with the original Rock Band, Rock Band 2 and The Beatles: Rock Band - http://kotaku.com/5489368/

BAM! Philippe Dauman announces Rock Band 3 for this year. Finally, I can tell people what I've been lead designing. - DeliciousBees (aka HMXSpraynwipe) (aka Harmonix Senior Designer Dan Teasdale) via Twitter

VIacom CEO and President Philippe Dauman has confirmed that Harmonix is working on Rock Band 3, for release Holiday 2010! WOOO! - Also, it's going to be AWESOME. Confirmed - And HMXJohnD

Designer Blogs

May 19 - 2 year design, Team Intros
Aug 11 - Road Challenges
Aug 18 - Keyboard
Sept 8 - Music Library
Sept 15(/url] - Pro Guitar details

Gameplay
Rock Band 3 advances: improved animations, refined gameplay features — players can drop in and out of games, or change instruments and difficulty settings without stopping songs — and a easier-to-use song menu and a "pro mode" – [url= http://tinyurl.com/28pbw5h]USA Today Jun 10

Game now has independent track speeds so a person playing expert does not have to play with a slower moving highway when playing with a person not at the same experience level

There will be no strum limit. Rock Band 3 will feature smarter strum detection due to an increased familiarity with and a deeper understanding of consistency issues with both new and existing hardware.
Rockbandaide.com Jun 21

Things like the world tour mode have been integrated more firmly into the core of the game, so the backgrounds of menus show your band making their way from gig to gig, all while you're still selecting songs and such. There’s a loose narrative structure around the entire game. There’s a specific narrative tour, and a more open-ended career that is achievements-driven.

There's a new challenge system at work with over 700 things to accomplish, as well as the ability to build your own custom playlists. These playlists can be saved for easy access to your favorite songs, and you can also use them to challenge your friends to leaderboard battles. This stuff will be tied into social networks, like Facebook and Twitter.

You’re going to see four on-screen characters performing the songs, even in the event of five instruments being played simultaneously in “All Instruments Mode”. If you have a keyboard player added to the band, we’ll feature keyboards over bass and your bass player will be a behind the scenes musician only. – Rockbandaide.com Sep 22

When appropriate we have solos for Bass, Guitar, Drums and Keys! – Rockbandaide.com Sep 22

"Overshell"
When I first previewed the game, I saw "the overshell" in action -- across the bottom of every screen hides a persistent options menu, through which players can jump in, jump out and set up their profiles and characters as they see fit. You can also change difficulty in the middle of any song, on a per-person basis, and I often found myself tweaking the difficulty up or down mid-song as I got more or less used to the drums or keyboard setup. Whenever you change difficulty, the song rewinds by a few seconds to give everyone playing a chance to get back into place. - Joystiq Aug 3

Harmonix new feature is being called "overshell," and it's basically a set of pop-out, per-player menus that you let you adjust your personal difficulty, pick your instrument, and turn on lefty flip while other players are still picking songs and moving about the rest of the game. It's designed to solve the drunken "wait, no, you hit the green button, now no one touch anything while I pick the song" moments that have turned many a Rock Band night into alcohol-fueled violence.

Scoring
In previous band games when you played with more than one person — say drums and guitar — you would record a “band” score and that’s it. In RB3 we re-engineered the scoring so that in that situation you record a drum score and a guitar score as well! - Plasticaxe Jun 11

We do have band leaderboards, but a band is now representative of your profile – Rockbandaide.com Sep 22

However, in “all instrument play” where there are guitar, bass, drum, keyboard, and vocals playing at the same time, the vocals are not scored. - During the E3 demo, while playing on a single Xbox, when all instruments and three vocalist were singing they called it the "All Instruments" mode. This must be a way to get around the controller limits, but HMX has not explained fully what it is or how it works. We do know that vocals do not contribute to scoring in this mode. It seems only four gamertags can sign in at a time on the Xbox making the mics an ad-on.

You can’t have a fifth player scored in your band, as each instrument needs to be assigned to a controller, with a max of four, so the fifth non-scoreable player by default becomes the vocalist in the “All Instruments Mode.”

Now has breakdown of scoring, you will get how many points you received brokendown for example by overdrive and streaks. - Rock Band 3 will include a GREATLY improved score details screen with a score breakdown showing points accumulated via accuracy, streak, overdrive, solo, and sustain. It will also show how a single player did versus how the entire band performed.

The scoring system has been rewritten from a programming standpoint, so your scores will not carryover from RB2 to RB3
Rockbandaide.com Jun 21

Online Play Mode
Multiple vocalists cannot participate from multiple locations due to latency issues – Rockbandaide.com Jun 21

Solo Mode
Unison Bonuses are now in single-player, so that individual scores in a band do not pass solo scores

Party Mode
During group play there is an option to turn off drummer's navigation. Also, when the game is paused during a song, the song will rewind three seconds to allow players to adjust. - Gameinformer pod cast @ 23:29

Will be called "road challenges," is described by Teasdale as "taking Rock Band 1 and 2's band world tour (mode) and merging it with Mario Party. We tried to find a way to get the core experience people had playing the band world tour and the things they really enjoyed, like getting the van or getting random set lists, and putting that into a setting that you can finish in an evening instead of a week. So now we have all these tours which are actually you going on a tour of the East Coast or touring across the world, and you are finishing that in three hours or whatever time you think you have to play." – USA Today Jun 10 pg2

You will NOT be able to play multiple instances of the same instrument - ie, no 4 guitarist playing at same time.

Road Challenges 'Zine Article
*As with the previous Tour Mode, you'll go from tiny clubs to huge arenas to outdoor festivals (a new type of venue in Rock Band 3).
* But while the Tour Mode presented a single, sprawling campaign, this experience unfolds across ten concise Road Challenges. They differ by duration and by difficulty level
* A road Challenge is a series of gigs in different venues
* Complete Challenges to earn "Spades" - one for each star plus bonus opportunities
-------example: "Overdrive Overdose." Earn your bonus by deploying Overdrive as many times as possible. It doesn't matter how long each Overdrive deployment lasts - the greater the number of Overdrive deployments, the larger the bonus.
-------example: "Share the Spotlight." Band members take turns performing "in the spotlight." When you're in the spotlight, you're under pressure to achieve a note (or vocal phrase) streak. Doing so hands off the spotlight to another band member. Your bonus grows with each successful hand-off.
* While injecting new life into gameplay we we wanted to preserve the core scoring rules so that you could log leaderboard scores while playing Road Challenges mode, just as you normally would in Quickplay. We thought that the best way to approach these constraints was not by creating new sorts of non-standard notes or introducing power-ups to ratchet up your multiplier, but by creating objectives that deepen your understanding and engagement with existing parts of the core gameplay.
*After each song, a results screen displays how much each member contributed to the band's bonus
*When you're setting up for your next gig, you'll be able to choose from a group of three setlists. We wanted to provide a streamlined set of choices so as to keep the party flowing smoothly.
----------Ready-made setlists allow you to play through the new Rock Band 3 disc songs in a difficulty-ordered way
----------Random setlists assemble a grab bag of songs (including your downloaded songs) grouped by a common theme
----------Custom setlists let you pick your own set of songs from a subset of your collection
*As with all other components of the Rock Band 3 experience, everything you do within the Road Challenges mode is tracked by our Career system.

A feature called Party Shuffle automatically assembles a setlist built using your entire library. When it's building the setlist, Party Shuffle is intelligent enough to take your song reviews and your instruments into account – song selections are weighted towards those you've reviewed highly, and only those songs that support your instruments will show up in the playlist.

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2009
    Thom1234;3220297 said:
    Too soon. Seriously, this is goddamn ridiculous.
    how do you know? what if RB3 is done right now and HMX is just waiting til the Beatles and LEGO storm subsides to announce it

for all we know RB3 could come out in February or March
  • halfaworldawayhalfaworldaway Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    kingtonyx;3220152 said:
    That would probably be better than any band-centric game they could do!
    Now your talking.
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    That first link essentially says that with the Beatles locked up, Zeppelin is now their top priority. I couldn't be more excited for that. Obviously, nothing is set in stone, but Harmonix has worked miracles before.
  • Followell4Followell4 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Something is coming. HMX is hiring for an "unannounced project".

http://www.highendcareers.com/jobs.aspx?CompanyID=7329
  • blackbox2342blackbox2342 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I heard Pink Flloyd wanted a dedicated game, Pink Flloyd Rock Band anyone?
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    blackbox2342;3221050 said:
    I heard Pink Flloyd wanted a dedicated game, Pink Flloyd Rock Band anyone?
    In which you can play Money, Wish You Were Here, and notice that Pink Floyd are so overrated and unsuited for RB that an entire game dedicated them would be worse than the BS Pearl Jam project coming next year.
  • playmikeplaymike Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    whomever the next band specific game is about.. i hope they allow for song export :(
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Thom1234;3220297 said:
    Too soon. Seriously, this is goddamn ridiculous.
    Right, because having 500,000 different threads asking about the game is the best way to go.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Followell4;3221019 said:

With video game developers, usually if there's not something coming, they won't be around for too long.
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty stoked about the possibility of RB3 hopefully hitting around summer.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2009
    ShoTTySLanKiN;3221221 said:
    I'm pretty stoked about the possibility of RB3 hopefully hitting around summer.
    May seems like a good release month. Just in time for school getting out...
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    Followell4;3221019 said:

Well of course *something* is coming. What exactly do you think all of the developers at Harmonix have been doing since TB:RB was finished? Sitting around twiddling their thumbs? :)
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3221236 said:
    Well of course *something* is coming. What exactly do you think all of the developers at Harmonix have been doing since TB:RB was finished? Sitting around twiddling their thumbs? :)
    I would have said partying and drinking. I figured they just stoopered around the office half drunk for a couple of months.

Except the Audio Department. Everyone knows they only get let out for 20 minutes a day.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited November 2009
    str organ sk
    Pretty sure that's abbreviated from Strong Organizational Skills.
  • MyronJ906MyronJ906 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Catch-22;3221439 said:
    Except the Audio Department. Everyone knows they only get let out for 20 minutes a day.
    Oh no, they could leave. But honestly, would you pass up all that awesome music?
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    MyronJ906;3221682 said:
    Oh no, they could leave. But honestly, would you pass up all that awesome music?
    Lies, I've been told they are locked up and whipped to ensure a constant stream of DLC.
  • MyronJ906MyronJ906 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Alright, so you caught me...this time. But vengeance will be mine!

*screams for vengeance*
  • DekieonDekieon Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I am looking forward to Rock Band 3.

I am not looking forward to a band specific game. I would likely buy it if it exported, and WOULD NOT even consider it, if it didn't. IMO not matter how good the band is, I don't want to only play song after song from the same band, I prefer variety when I play Rock Band.

As for a keyboard being added to the game...Where would they put it on the screen? I think a keyboard should be it's own game. Imagine a graphic of a keyboard across the bottem of the screen, with the rock band notes dropping down into all the different keys. it would take at least half the screen middle to bottem. They would likely only have room across the top for vocals only, and no room for guitas at all. A stand alone keyboard game could be fun though, perhaps I could finnally get some Billy Joel songs to play.
  • xXZeroOverrideXxxXZeroOverrideXx Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Sayburr, you kick ass.
  • XygnusXygnus Rising Star
    edited November 2009
  • Elax93Elax93 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Sayburr;3219573 said:

Keyboards
    Tom Chick said, “I got an insider tip that Harmonix is looking for someone with elite keyboard skills. As you can see from the listing below, Harmonix is looking to hire someone handy with the organ.
    JOB OPENING: EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT-HARMONIX/Boston: 2+yrs admin exp. Strng communic & interprsnl sk; Proficient MS Word/Excel/PPT. Detail-oriented; str organ sk; fast-paced env. EOE/M/F/D/AAP. (10/7)
    Emphasis mine, as they say. Why else would Harmonix want someone whose "sk" are "str" at the organ in a "fast-paced env." (expert note charts, anyone?) if they weren't planning on including a keyboard player to Rock Band 3? Tom Chick ;) ;) means this was a joke by Tom...
    Str organ sk = Strong organizational skills, isn't it
  • alucard103alucard103 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    For RB3 I would like to be able to check something in the options menu that sorts my songs by % instead of score. It would be an easy implementation. I would also like the inclusion of the album function in RB3, only I want to be able to fill an album with 2-10 songs so that you can make an EP or full length album along with designing the cover art like you do with tattoos and band logos. ALSO, I want to be able to designate a male or female character to sing those vox respectively during songs. If my drummer is male and my vocalist female, I want to be able to have them switch automatically during songs where there is a male vocalist. I know that is the most asinine request ever, and probably wouldn't be able to be implemented because of the songs already out not having a signifier for male and female, but whatever. We should be able to buy keytars as instruments in the rock shop, too.

Oh, and maybe we could get mics in mic stands with appropriate animation instead of just having wireless mics all the time.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited November 2009
    Elax93;3230422 said:
    Str organ sk = Strong organizational skills, isn't it
    Yes... it just goes to show how out of wack rumors can get...
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited November 2009
    princeofcups;3230355 said:
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They have to realize that RB3 is where the money is. Their margins on Beatles is so much smaller, I'm sure it's hurting this years financial numbers.
    You mean the game that is whupping GH5?

The margins are smaller on it? Really?

I think HMX would disagree with you, considering it's strong start.
  • SgtDrillSgtDrill Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Sales, unfortunately, have little to do with margins. the company actually came out and said that even though the sales are up, the actual profit from RB: Beatles just isn't there - and they're hoping for a strong holiday season.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited November 2009
    SgtDrill;3233435 said:
    Sales, unfortunately, have little to do with margins. the company actually came out and said that even though the sales are up, the actual profit from RB: Beatles just isn't there - and they're hoping for a strong holiday season.
    Link please?

I find it hard to believe that a game that features the music of only one band (even though the licencing fees would be higher for The Beatles), would cost that much more than something like RB2. But I'd love to be proven wrong.
  • 16BitAlex16BitAlex Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    alucard103;3230761 said:
    I want to be able to designate a male or female character to sing those vox respectively during songs. If my drummer is male and my vocalist female, I want to be able to have them switch automatically during songs where there is a male vocalist. I know that is the most asinine request ever, and probably wouldn't be able to be implemented because of the songs already out not having a signifier for male and female, but whatever. We should be able to buy keytars as instruments in the rock shop, too.
    Except the songs already have the signifier for vox gender. How do you think it shows the proper singer for single-song quickplay?
  • SuperMaxVSuperMaxV Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    SgtDrill;3233435 said:
    whofan;3233442 said:
    Link please?

I find it hard to believe that a game that features the music of only one band (even though the licencing fees would be higher for The Beatles), would cost that much more than something like RB2. But I'd love to be proven wrong.
    I think SgtDrill is misinterpreting the recent reports that Viacom is losing money on the entire Rock Band franchise. It's not just because of TB:RB.

http://www.thekartel.com/johnmasterlee/blog/2009/10/23/rock_band_series_remains_unprofitable_to_date
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    it's kind of basic, but I think it would be cool if there was some sort of "New High Score!" message after you beat your previous high score on a song, like GH1 and 2 used to have (not sure of the others because I never played them).
  • SgtDrillSgtDrill Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I read the article on Gamespot, but Gamespot is blocked at work :(

Here's another article, though - "Viacom also says it is currently expecting about a 20 percent profit margin on the title, even though the royalty payout for the game is believed to be unusually costly to the company."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25302

And $10 million is guaranteed to Apple Records, regardless of sales - which is likely why its hitting profit bad this quarter for the Rock Band franchise, but once they get past that gap, should be smooth sailing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25094