Character creation sucks for black people in L:RB

FreezeRokkFreezeRokk Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
When you first start, there's only 2 black "Heads and Bodies." Not to mention they're both men. So you can't even make a Black Woman.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to change the "skin color" of the lego figs, or at least switch out the hands to make them Black, Yellow, or White. Instead the skin color is locked to the clothing item.

I'm on the 3rd vehicle and still have not come across any solutions. I don't want my character looking exactly like Mothership Q all the time. When I saw all the original RB characters remade in Lego form, I was pretty excited to recreate my band in Lego form. But now it's not possible because of the weird way the character creator/rock shop is set up.

This is a big disappointment. TT games fix this pl0x.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    This seems like a valid topic of discussion, but I will strongly emphasize that any negative racial stereotypes, slurs, or implications will be met with a heavy stroke of the moderator hand.

Keep it classy folks.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Apples;3222359 said:
    This seems like a valid topic of discussion, but I will strongly emphasize that any negative racial stereotypes, slurs, or implications will be met with a heavy stroke of the moderator hand.

Keep it classy folks.
    Since we're in the Lego forum, wouldn't it be a heavy stroke of the moderator claw?
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    The ability to toggle any face between the three human skin tones would have made a lot of sense.

Personally, I'm disappointed at the absence of cowboy hats. Haven't unlocked everything yet, but I don't think I'm going to find any stetsons in space.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3221963 said:
    When you first start, there's only 2 black "Heads and Bodies." Not to mention they're both men. So you can't even make a Black Woman.
    The head used for the default guitarist (Quinton Lance?) is gender neutral if I'm not mistaken. If you drop a female hairstyle and a shirt with those little lines on the chest you instantly have a female character.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3222484 said:
    The head used for the default guitarist (Quinton Lance?) is gender neutral if I'm not mistaken. If you drop a female hairstyle and a shirt with those little lines on the chest you instantly have a female character.
    So the Legos can go both ways? How progressive!

This IS a great temporary solution, even if you must ignore the very male name of the head you put on the chick, and the clothes/skin that probably don't gel with everything else.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Apples;3222359 said:

Keep it classy folks.
    White Legos can't dance.
  • edited November 2009
    monkeyfish;3222371 said:
    Since we're in the Lego forum, wouldn't it be a heavy stroke of the moderator claw?
    Fair point sir, fair point.
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I dislike how many bodies I want to use are the LEGO man yellow, when I have a pasty white head I like using. It just complicates things more than it should.

Other than that, I think the customization is great. You can't be a zombie vampire skeleton in RB2, now can you?
    monkeyfish;3222514 said:
    So the Legos can go both ways? How progressive!

This IS a great temporary solution, even if you must ignore the very male name of the head you put on the chick, and the clothes/skin that probably don't gel with everything else.
    Contrary to popular belief, LEGOs are indeed tiny plastic figures with no means of reproduction and don't really seem to have any socially forced gender roles. Take a 'girl head' throw it in some 'guy parts' and you now have a very pretty man who enjoys make-up.

Anything can be whatever you want. It's LEGOs. Employ imagination.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I agree with this and limited customization colors overall. But its "Lego" so at the end of the day, I really don't care if all my colors match.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3222484 said:
    Except that every female shirt has white or yellow skin showing. :(

The locking of clothing items to specific skin colors is a puzzling choice. I guess they're fairly accurately recreating the experience of mixing and matching real Lego people-chunks, but even then, with real Legos you can swap out the arms and hands independently of the torso, and almost every torso in this game has a lot more skin showing than the average real lego shirt.
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Like most people have posted, would I prefer to have skin tone be separate of the LEGO clothes & pieces? Yes. In the end, think of the LEGO universe, and even within the game's characters...There simply aren't any black LEGO people aside from the RB2 characters (that I've noticed).

When you mix and match parts of actual LEGO people, you are presented with the same limitations as in the game. Being that this is LEGO Rock Band, I understand the choice...hopefully, this mix-n-match approach inspires younger people who play the game to not place a high value on a person's physical appearance in real life.
  • vgericvgeric Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but are most/all of the clothes and styles from RB2 available to re-create Lego style?

Thanks,

E
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    vgeric;3222887 said:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but are most/all of the clothes and styles from RB2 available to re-create Lego style?

Thanks,

E
    It's mostly centered around using the elements of the dozens of characters you unlock in story mode, so it's basically like using actual Lego character pieces. There are a ton of options and combinations, so some have been able to approximate their RB2 characters with what's available.

But there are items from RB2 that aren't recreated...cowboy hats, fer instance :(. On the plus side, I have a peg-legged werewolf biker in my band.
  • BullseyeBullseye Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    This is a bit of a let down, as I can't imagine it would have been that hard to add a color change option for skin tone. I get the whole mix n' match scenario that is inherent in the LEgo toy line, but this is a video game and not subjected to the laws of reality (real Legos aren't animated). They dropped the ball on this one.

My other complaint, is where are the tattoos, make-up and face paint options? Granted I haven't played much of this game, but those 3 features sum up how I customize my characters. Plus, the ability to add make-up to the Lego heads would effectively make up (no pun intended) for the lack of female faces. I don't see anyway of making Lego Kiss in this game and that truly is a huge minus in my book.
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    As someone planning on making a band of yellow characters and/or monsters, I don't think it's a game breaking issue.
    Though as a white male, I can see why I might not be annoyed, and respect that other people might want to make LEGO characters that reflect their skin tones a little better.

Again, though. It's still LEGO. If there weren't any pink/white/whatever characters, I wouldn't mind. But man, would it be cool if you could pick virtually any colour for your little LEGO dudes...
    Blue, red, pink, black/white (not the "black/white skin colours"..), grey... You could make just about anything!

Fishpeople playing fake instruments? Awesome.
  • FreezeRokkFreezeRokk Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    MattyT;3222697 said:
    hopefully, this mix-n-match approach inspires younger people who play the game to not place a high value on a person's physical appearance in real life.
    What's the point of creating an avatar if it doesn't have any likeness to you or at least an ideal image of yourself?

It was very disappointing to me when I brought L:RB home to my family to find out that my sisters had to "create" and be represented by white women. Not cool.

And I think that physical appearance is very important as it does make a big part of who you are.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited November 2009
    Is it me or is there no option for Accessories? I wanted to put some glasses on my avatar but couldn't. Boooo.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    My avatar is yellow, like Lego people are suppsoed to be. Flesh colors are vain in this scenario.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2009
    zeoavenger;3223435 said:
    My avatar is yellow, like Lego people are suppsoed to be. Flesh colors are vain in this scenario.
    I think not having them 'supposed' to be any color would be a happy thing.

It really was big letdown after playing the other Lego Games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones). The character customization in there was awesome. Face, heads, hair, hats, torso, arms, hands, legs, and weapons of choice. So for them to take that aspect away for creating a band was not a good choice. Putting obvious default skin colors makes it hard to really get that good customization and not all of want Frankenstein's (but might settle for Lego Frankie Stein).
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Mex;3223421 said:
    Is it me or is there no option for Accessories? I wanted to put some glasses on my avatar but couldn't. Boooo.
    Nope, you've got to put that head on that has the glasses and go from there.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited November 2009
    folkeye;3223469 said:
    Nope, you've got to put that head on that has the glasses and go from there.
    Oh well no glasses for me then.
  • gsu_eagle_31049gsu_eagle_31049 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3221963 said:

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to change the "skin color" of the lego figs, or at least switch out the hands to make them Black, Yellow, or White. Instead the skin color is locked to the clothing item.
    I agree with you 100%. Of my user-created avatars in Rock Band 2, one of my personal favorites is a black female.
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    To be honest, I found it pretty weird everyone wasn't LEGO yellow. I thought it was a pretty trademark part of being a LEGO-Person.
  • edited November 2009
    I would like to see crystal clear and chrome so I can make an Invisible Man an a Silver Surfer lego dude.

If I had to pick one, it would be chrome.

The Silver Surfer is a chill cat with a grip of power.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited November 2009
    This is a good point. It makes me sad that there's no option to adjust the skin color of the individual pieces, especially for stuff like hands. Having a Caucasian face and Yellow hands annoys me slightly, so I ended up going with all yellow even though some of the Caucasian faces are cooler.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited November 2009
    kiggidykev;3223591 said:
    This is a good point. It makes me sad that there's no option to adjust the skin color of the individual pieces, especially for stuff like hands. Having a Caucasian face and Yellow hands annoys me slightly, so I ended up going with all yellow even though some of the Caucasian faces are cooler.
    Since we're talking abotu LEGO characters I think you can safely say white as opposed to Caucasian :p
    edited November 2009
    Mex;3223602 said:
    Since we're talking abotu LEGO characters I think you can safely say white as opposed to Caucasian :p
    I'm just conditioned from working in a school division that's PC to the max, haha
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited November 2009
    kiggidykev;3223623 said:
    I'm just conditioned from working in a school division that's PC to the max, haha
    That's super PC...ha ha ha...

So if little ones are going to fingerpaint do they call the white stuff "Caucasian" paint? :D
    edited November 2009
    Mex;3223633 said:
    That's super PC...ha ha ha...

So if little ones are going to fingerpaint do they call the white stuff "Caucasian" paint? :D
    Most of them call it "skin colour", which I pretend not to hear because I don't want to get into a it, haha
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    wcarnation;3223548 said:
    To be honest, I found it pretty weird everyone wasn't LEGO yellow. I thought it was a pretty trademark part of being a LEGO-Person.
    They introduced flesh-colored Lego people starting with the Lego Star Wars line (actually partway through the LSW line, so both yellow and flesh-colored versions of a lot of those characters exist).
    zeoavenger;3223435 said:
    This problem can even effect you, though, because a shirt you might want to use might have flesh-colored hands.
    MattyT;3222697 said:
    When you mix and match parts of actual LEGO people, you are presented with the same limitations as in the game.
    When you mix and match parts of actual LEGO people, you can pop out their hands and arms, which usually solves this problem... and most real LEGO figures don't have nearly as much "skin" showing on the chest part as the flesh-colored people in this game.