"Around 50% of TT Fusion were against LEGO Rock Band"

cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
http://www.develop-online.net/news/33199/Around-50-of-TT-Fusion-were-against-LEGO-Rock-Band

Interesting (but short) dev article about LEGO RB.....

Pretty much officially states that HMX were the ones who came up with the concept, and TT was originally split on the idea:
“We were approached 13 months ago by publisher TT Games, who were in turn approached by Harmonix about LEGO Rock Band. And I’d say about 50 per cent of our studio were for the idea, and about 50 per cent were against it.”

Palmer was refreshingly frank about the initial reception to LEGO Rock Band, admitting that the game was – initially - badly received by the press and player community.

Traveller’s Tales subsidiary studio TT Fusion initially had concerns regarding the prospect of merging both the LEGO and Rock Band franchises.

That’s according to Matt Palmer, head of animation at TT Fusion, who presented a speaker session today at the inaugural Develop in Liverpool conference.

During Palmer’s well-received speaker session – where the question ‘can a LEGO man even properly hold a guitar’ was explored – Palmer admitted that he had reservations of his own when pitched the idea of a LEGO Rock Band game.

“I know people were saying ‘oh they’re flogging a LEGO licence again’,” he said.

At a brief Q&A session following the speach, Palmer told Develop that, generally, TT Fusion warmed to the idea of LEGO Rock Band during the end of 2008, when the game was beginning to come together.

“Many of us started realizing that we weren’t just skinning one franchise on another, he said.”

Comments

• Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited November 2009
    It is a reskin though.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2009
    For the most part yes, but there is the new difficulty levels, the no fail (gain your studs back when you fail out mini game), the rock challenges, etc.

Yes at it's core it's the same, but it's more different than RB2 was from RB1.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I wouldn't call it a reskin. They did at least add cutscenes, different gameplay elements and a family-oriented atmosphere.

I would say a few aspects of the game shouldn't have been handled so lazily, or outright tossed, for that matter. This is clearly a 60% Lego game - easy, little replay value - and 40% RB game.
  • Awesome_TreeAwesome_Tree Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I knew the Blur dude looked like Harry Potter.
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I think its a reconception of Rock Band that is more focused on upbeat/tongue-in-cheek styles and accessible by a younger generation more than Rock Band its self. It carries that dual appeal of being Rock Band and a "younger generation" geared property.

Just like The Beatles Rock Band carried a dual appeal of Beatles and Rock Band.

This stuff makes a lot more sense than just a plain merging of properties.

Everyone is horribly negative against it, though, since it's LEGOs and doesn't featur a difficulty/song set that breaks your hands in half.

Maybe Harmonix could find a dual appeal in making "Ass hole Rock Band" in the future. 90% of the setlist is Metallica!
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    There are things I really prefer in Lego RB than in RB2. I like how the band world tour unfolds (but I dont like doing the same song that close together due to some of the challenges) and I loved the album.

The make your own album idea needs to be used and expanded upon in Rock Band 3. Fantastic idea.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Baanu_Rass;3222012 said:
    It is a reskin though.
    If you honestly think that then you must not have even played it.
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Unfortunately, some people (in most cases, those who haven't played the game) will see it as a re-skin. However, perception is not reality in this case.

Also, when it came to the LEGO characters holding guitars, I think it was borderline genius to have the LEGO characters play (mostly) modified RB Guitars (colored frets top/bottom). It fits with the atmosphere so well.
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    To be honest, it kind of returns me to the humorous days of the original two Guitar Hero games. That's not a bad thing as a one off.
  • SuperDaddy-oSuperDaddy-o Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    wcarnation;3222585 said:
    I think its a reconception of Rock Band that is more focused on upbeat/tongue-in-cheek styles and accessible by a younger generation more than Rock Band its self. It carries that dual appeal of being Rock Band and a "younger generation" geared property.

Just like The Beatles Rock Band carried a dual appeal of Beatles and Rock Band.

This stuff makes a lot more sense than just a plain merging of properties.

Everyone is horribly negative against it, though, since it's LEGOs and doesn't featur a difficulty/song set that breaks your hands in half.

Maybe Harmonix could find a dual appeal in making "Ass hole Rock Band" in the future. 90% of the setlist is Metallica!
    And the difiiculty settings could be:
    Expert
    Expert+
    Elitist
    Elitist A-hole
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    wcarnation;3222585 said:

^epic win
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited November 2009
    Awesome_Tree;3222555 said:
    I knew the Blur dude looked like Harry Potter.
    My thoughts exactly
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Can you imagine the meeting at hmx where this idea came up at?
    leader of meeting: Quick think of ideals of sucessful genres we could stick rock band into
    Dev1: Halo
    Dev2: Something with zombies!!!
    Dev3: Mario
    Dev4: tetris.
    Dev5:... I've got it, hold me out here, Lego: Rockband
    leader of meeting: Write that down!!! Write that down!!!
  • DeezUUDeezUU Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    wcarnation;3222585 said:

i lol'd

:)
  • PatNantelPatNantel Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I personnaly like this game...mainly for the songs! 45 songs for 60$ is cheaper then DLCs... And their fun songs to play! I enjoy the Freddy and the Bowie Lego dudes! Funny as hell! And it will be exported to RB2 THIS was a selling point to me! Have fun with it! And don't judge this game without playing it!
    edited November 2009
    General Lein979;3224754 said:
    Can you imagine the meeting at hmx where this idea came up at?
    leader of meeting: Quick think of ideals of sucessful genres we could stick rock band into
    Dev1: Halo
    Dev2: Something with zombies!!!
    Dev3: Mario
    Dev4: tetris.
    Dev5:... I've got it, hold me out here, Lego: Rockband
    leader of meeting: Write that down!!! Write that down!!!
    Dev2 had the right idea.

Left 4 Dead: Zombie Rock Band is a no-brainer
  • shimwoodshimwood Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    cherokeesam;3225746 said:
    Dev2 had the right idea.

I see what you did there...
  • DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited November 2009

“We were approached 13 months ago by publisher TT Games, who were in turn approached by Harmonix about LEGO Rock Band. And I’d say about 50 per cent of our studio were for the idea, and about 50 per cent were against it.”
    From what I've gathered, the 50 per cent against it were put in charge of Wii development.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited November 2009
    PCTraitor;3222624 said:
    There are things I really prefer in Lego RB than in RB2. I like how the band world tour unfolds (but I dont like doing the same song that close together due to some of the challenges) and I loved the album.

The make your own album idea needs to be used and expanded upon in Rock Band 3. Fantastic idea.
    I love the albums. I think they can expand on that a bit in RB3 though by letting you make custom album art and by making the albums longer than 3 songs.

I also like that you can see and customize your staff, and they do show up occasionally (especially the roadies) in the cut scenes alongside your band members. RB3 doesn't necessarily need cut scenes. It works for Lego, but I like RB1/RB2 not having them. But they could have the staffers show up occasionally in your practice space or on loading screens. And when you check with your manager to see what you have to do in World Tour next, you'll see your custom built manager.

I love that you can access free play (quickplay) and practice mode straight from your band too, instead of having to go all the way out. LRB also has a more comprehensive stat screen in the office, telling you how many gold stars you have, etc. And on the song select menus, having it switch back and forth between scores and stars is great too.

RB3 needs all of those things.
  • PheranPheran Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Dev2 had the right idea.

Announcing LEFT 4 DEAD: ROCK BAND

Coming soon from Valve and Harmonix

The setting: Downtown Los Angeles, post Zombie-Apocalypse

Your mission: Fight your way through the Zombie-infested streets, reaching safehouses en route to your ultimate destination, the LA Coliseum, where you will play a rock concert so loud it will draw every zombie in the city to that central location, just in time for a military air strike to WIPE THEM OUT!

Featuring these new weapons:

Sword Guitar - Decapitate zombies while rocking out!!

Machine Gun Bass - Achieve a 6x damage multiplier with the Kill Streak Groove

Use your vocals with a modified Sonic Devastator to explode Zombie heads - gnarly!

Plus the unlockable ION Drum Rocket, and more!

The 45-song setlist features:

The Cranberries - Zombie
    Michael Jackson - Thriller
    The Misfits - Astro Zombies
    White Zombie - I Am Legend
    Rob Zombie - Living Dead Girl
    Suicidal Tendencies - Waking the Dead
    Cannibal Corpse - Pit of Zombies
    Wednesday 13 - I Walked With a Zombie
    singlefile - Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Stay tuned for more!
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Dev2 had the right idea.

but but...but...
    if its a no-brainer how wil the zombiez survive?
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Pheran;3234576 said:
    Announcing LEFT 4 DEAD: ROCK BAND

Coming soon from Valve and Harmonix

The setting: Downtown Los Angeles, post Zombie-Apocalypse

Your mission: Fight your way through the Zombie-infested streets, reaching safehouses en route to your ultimate destination, the LA Coliseum, where you will play a rock concert so loud it will draw every zombie in the city to that central location, just in time for a military air strike to WIPE THEM OUT!

Featuring these new weapons:

Sword Guitar - Decapitate zombies while rocking out!!

Machine Gun Bass - Achieve a 6x damage multiplier with the Kill Streak Groove

Use your vocals with a modified Sonic Devastator to explode Zombie heads - gnarly!

Plus the unlockable ION Drum Rocket, and more!

The Cranberries - Zombie

Stay tuned for more!
    wow, seriously this would make a great game :eek:
  • Flux_Capacitor22Flux_Capacitor22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Pheran;3234576 said:

The Cranberries - Zombie

Stay tuned for more!
    Should add The Zombies - Time of The Season
  • DavidRSDavidRS Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    And the bonus track - the ending song of Plants vs. Zombies.

Also, ROFL at the "no-brainer" comment on this page.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    MattyT;3222788 said:
    Also, when it came to the LEGO characters holding guitars, I think it was borderline genius to have the LEGO characters play (mostly) modified RB Guitars (colored frets top/bottom). It fits with the atmosphere so well.
    Nobody spoil it if it does/doesn't...but I've been playing along in LEGO RB just waiting to unlock the actual Rock Band instruments for my band to use.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Done and done.
  • dragonflyrdragonflyr Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3239719 said:
    LOL !!
    nice. bill and louis are perfect!
    edited November 2009
    Nice. :)
    "Pretend That We're Dead" is the perfect song for 'em, too.
  • DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    SuperDaddy-o;3223948 said:
    And the difiiculty settings could be:
    Expert
    Expert+
    Elitist
    Forum Poster
    Fixed.
  • DesmodeusDesmodeus Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    LRB would have been better as a simple reskin... There wouldn't have been a DLC filter then... Really it's the only new feature of the game other than appearance that I even notice while playing... I just really like playing as Lego people... still internally debating whether it was worth it though. I seriously hate a LOT of the included songs...