Let Harmonix Know that the DLC Content Filter Sucks

nightsx2nightsx2 Unsigned
edited February 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
OK, so before purchase, I had read in several places that the content filter for DLC going into Lego Rock Band wouldn't be much of an issue and most of the songs would work. I went out and bought the game today, only to find out that not even half of my DLC passes the filter. For many of the songs, I have no idea what could be considered objectionable enough to cause it to fail the filter. Right now I'm kicking myself for wasting my money on this game (although "Ghostbusters" does make me fell a bit better ;)

I have supported Harmonix in everything they have been doing over the past few years, but the LRB content filter is the biggest insult to those of us who have spent hundreds of dollars on DLC. If they want to have a filter, it should be an option that parents can turn on and off; not something forced upon all of us that makes our DLC useless. BTW - did anyone else notice that when the game loads, there's a huge message saying that the ESRB doesn't rate downloaded content. Seriously Harmonix - WTF?

So, if you're like me, let Harmonix know that we demand a patch that makes the DLC filter an option, or removes it altogether.

Comments

  • YoshipupdudeYoshipupdude Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    yeah im all for an option to turn on or off the filter. i know i can export the songs to rb2, but its actually cool to start a career over again and customize your band space and all, and i'd like to be able to play all of the songs i payed for.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I'd much rather have a "Don't give me the same damn song five minutes later" filter for the story mode.

    In one of the gigs I had to do the MJ song and Kung Fu Fighting. I proceeded to the mystery setlist, where I was greeted by...the MJ song and Kung Fu fighting.
  • KuSinatorKuSinator Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I find the fact they have KT Tunstall - “Suddenly I See” in the game rather funny, where I am pretty sure she says "hell" in the chorus. I am not saying it is really a bad word, but some song they filtered out don't even curse.
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    It was noted pre-release that the word "hell" made it in (originally, presumably solely due to "You Give Love a Bad Name").
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    MANY questionable songs that got in and many that didn't. I think the filter should only remain on the Music Store. Otherwise, let us download something that disables the filter.
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    ghostofjarjar;3222789 said:
    MANY questionable songs that got in and many that didn't. I think the filter should only remain on the Music Store. Otherwise, let us download something that disables the filter.
    For clarification: Are you saying that the Music Filter should be an item in the Music Store, or are you saying that only songs that pass the filter should be in the LEGO RB store? I believe that the latter is already the case.

    Furthermore, should you intend to be suggesting the latter, why should you be able to play something that doesn't pass the filter, and, unless you downloaded it from RB2, is inaccessible? It defeats the purpose of the filter.

    Even furthermore, I think people are overreacting to the filter in general. You have to err on the safe side when it comes to determining what is 'suitable for Everyone 10 and Up', and what belongs in a game 'made suitable for younger audiences'. Too many people seem to act like they are being blindsided by the filter, which was announced within one of the first few pieces of official info on the game.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Do you want little kids playing Cannibal Corpse?
  • BookerBooker Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I would also think the filter would have to include what songs Lego themselves would want assossiated with their brand name as well as being covered by the content rating.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Booker;3222824 said:
    I would also think the filter would have to include what songs Lego themselves would want assossiated with their brand name as well as being covered by the content rating.
    Good point... there are a few bands that maybe TT was just biased against having in their game for whatever reasons but then i also think there must be some licensing involved to a degree with all the songs playing on LRB as well. I mean there must be some who have it in contract that the songs be exportable to all future HMX games, im sure not all are convered for export to a TT game as well for all "rock band" is featured in the games name.

    Really i dont see why everyone is getting so hot and bothered about this - export the songs and play them in full with the rest of the DLC on Rock Band 2.
  • FennzFennz Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    The Filter sucks. There should at least be options for the dlc filter. One reason Im selling this.
  • cheng2009cheng2009 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    sonicnerd23;3222813 said:
    Do you want little kids playing Cannibal Corpse?
    i would LOVE the lego man playing blast beats :D
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    MattyT;3222707 said:
    I now know why Morningwood sent a version of "Best of Me" without the word 'b****es' in it - voila, automatically passes LEGO filter.
    Thank you so much for not typing "wa la."
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    nightsx2;3222490 said:
    If they want to have a filter, it should be an option that parents can turn on and off; not something forced upon all of us that makes our DLC useless.
    If you had read the press release, the DLC filter was made known prior to launch.

    So, yeah...strike one.
    nightsx2;3222490 said:
    BTW - did anyone else notice that when the game loads, there's a huge message saying that the ESRB doesn't rate downloaded content. Seriously Harmonix - WTF?
    ESRB downloads aren't rated, but HMX is putting together an E rated game and wants to ensure people playing it don't have to worry about potentially playing T/M rated songs. Allowing those songs in the game would go against the whole reason they made the game in the first place.

    So yeah...strike two.
    nightsx2;3222490 said:
    So, if you're like me, let Harmonix know that we demand a patch that makes the DLC filter an option, or removes it altogether.
    So, if you're like me, you read the press release (Which is readily available on this forum) and already knew that LEGO Rock Band would contain a filter only allowing family-friendly DLC songs to be played within it. You'd also know that LEGO Rock Band was a family-friendly title designed for the purpose of giving parents a way of playing RB with their kids without worrying about objectionable song lyrics.

    So yeah...strike three. You fail.
  • OrgasmicOrangeOrgasmicOrange Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I don't have a problem with the filter. Would I like to see a couple more songs included in LegoRB - sure but if I really want to play them than I'll pop in the RB2 disc. I will say that it seems strange that the only song allowed from Nirvana's Nevermind is Something In The Way. I actually was surprised that they allowed RB1 songs - thought it would only be DLC from the online store that would be allowed, so I'm happy to see a few more songs then I thought.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    MattyT;3222796 said:
    Too many people seem to act like they are being blindsided by the filter, which was announced within one of the first few pieces of official info on the game.
    Given the forum's general propencity to not read beyond thread titles and headlines...I'm not really that surprised.

    Disappointed, but not surprised.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited November 2009
    I wouldn't MIND a filter in the game. If they patched in an option to disable it (password-protected, maybe, to keep the kids from accessing it?) I'd probably disable it the moment it appeared.

    That said, we were forewarned that the filter would be there, so I'm not particularly chuffed that it IS there.
  • raahsnavjraahsnavj Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I think the filter is bull as well. Worst case, there should be an option in the Extras menu to enable / disable the filter - using a password if they really want to get fancy.

    My #1 con to this game is that it doesn't allow me to take my DLC with me into it. What is worse is 'some' of it goes though, so then you have a mess trying to figure out what is going to go and what isn't, so you just gamble and find 50% doesn't... it is disappointing.
  • Bahamut44Bahamut44 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I havent had a chance to get my hands on a copy of Lego yet, but as a parent, I really appreciate the filter. I feel safe letting my daughter play the game without having to monitor what she is playing or if I want to play with her, constantly avoiding specific songs.

    It is after all aimed at a different audience then the 'usual' Rock Band crowd and HMX went out of their way to please us (their core fanbase) by making it exportable to the main game.

    Sorry guys but it's there for a reason and if you don't like it, well thats why you have Rock Band 2.

    Peace.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2009
    I had assumed that any song with a cussword bleeped in the song would not make it through the filter.

    However doing a surprise setlist and Riad and the Beduions(sp), from GNR popped up, and he clearly says the word f***.

    Though it is bleeped out, you can clearly make out what he was saying with the Fff sound heard before it goes quiet.

    Kind of took me by surprise that it got through the filter.

    So Surprise setlist indeed ;)
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    raahsnavj;3223353 said:
    I think the filter is bull as well. Worst case, there should be an option in the Extras menu to enable / disable the filter - using a password if they really want to get fancy.
    Any game that allows profanity/content to be enabled/disabled would then have to have the rating of the "worst" possible content that would be presented.

    So allowing the filter to be "disabled" would turn LEGO into a T-rated game and thus defeat the purpose of making it in the first place.

    It's the same reason why you will never see regular RB get a "allow profanity" option, as it would make the game M-Rated.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    The filter is pretty brutal in this game. I wish it didn't exist (or could be turned off) because I'd rather play this game than RB2, but I'm not going to ignore all the DLC I have.

    As it stands now, I'm going to finish up the story and sell the game off.
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I do find it funny, though, that my younger brother who is 9, all his favorite songs got filtered out.

    'RE: Your Brains', 'Monkey Gone to Heaven', 'Feel Good Inc.' and 'Once in a Lifetime'.

    Parents just don't understand.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3223440 said:
    Any game that allows profanity/content to be enabled/disabled would then have to have the rating of the "worst" possible content that would be presented.

    So allowing the filter to be "disabled" would turn LEGO into a T-rated game and thus defeat the purpose of making it in the first place.

    It's the same reason why you will never see regular RB get a "allow profanity" option, as it would make the game M-Rated.

    ABACABB <---saved MK for Genny
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited November 2009
    zeoavenger;3223525 said:
    ABACABB <---saved MK for Genny</div>
    Which existed before the ESRB did.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Bahamut44;3223366 said:
    I havent had a chance to get my hands on a copy of Lego yet, but as a parent, I really appreciate the filter. I feel safe letting my daughter play the game without having to monitor what she is playing or if I want to play with her, constantly avoiding specific songs.

    It is after all aimed at a different audience then the 'usual' Rock Band crowd and HMX went out of their way to please us (their core fanbase) by making it exportable to the main game.

    Sorry guys but it's there for a reason and if you don't like it, well thats why you have Rock Band 2.

    Peace.

    This kind of parent is what's wrong with America. Wants to do the least amount possible to actually be a parent. Like going into a menu enabling parental controls is such a burden. Lazy ass people.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited November 2009
    The only way this get's "fixed" is if it's not working as intended, like a glitch. If it's working the way they designed it, don't hold your breath.

    ESRB really isn't the problem, TT and HMX(I guess) have their own standards and applied them here.

    Personally I don't mind the filter, only like 120 out of my 400 songs passed but.... I can just got play RB2 for those other ones so I don't care.
  • JuniorpopJuniorpop Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    nightsx2;3222490 said:
    OK, so before purchase, I had read in several places that the content filter for DLC going into Lego Rock Band wouldn't be much of an issue and most of the songs would work. I went out and bought the game today, only to find out that not even half of my DLC passes the filter. For many of the songs, I have no idea what could be considered objectionable enough to cause it to fail the filter. Right now I'm kicking myself for wasting my money on this game (although "Ghostbusters" does make me fell a bit better ;)

    I have supported Harmonix in everything they have been doing over the past few years, but the LRB content filter is the biggest insult to those of us who have spent hundreds of dollars on DLC. If they want to have a filter, it should be an option that parents can turn on and off; not something forced upon all of us that makes our DLC useless. BTW - did anyone else notice that when the game loads, there's a huge message saying that the ESRB doesn't rate downloaded content. Seriously Harmonix - WTF?

    So, if you're like me, let Harmonix know that we demand a patch that makes the DLC filter an option, or removes it altogether.

    How does this make your DLC useless? You bought your DLC for RB or RB2. It doesnt say you will be able to use your DLC in any future releases (Fingers crossed for RB3). Really a dumb thing to get all upset about.

    Although I would like to know why Complete Control by The Clash didnt make the cut.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    LoopyChew;3223571 said:
    Which existed before the ESRB did.
    That's true but the MA-13 rating on the cover (done by the VRC) is what led to that code existing. It's a different time.

    I doubt an unlocking of the filter would do much for this game though. It wouldn't be like MK back in the 90's. Most of the kids 10 or older that would play this game already have RB2 hence having DLC to begin with. This filter is just an inconvienence to everyone except lazy parents.
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I don't really care about the filter. Some songs obviously shouldn't be played by children. But I don't understand why some songs didn't pass.

    I think more family friendly songs should be put into the rock band platform now that we have a whole game for them.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    The DLC filter doesnt suck. It works pretty well. Out of the 680 DLC songs I have, 323 of them made it through. Im stoked.
This discussion has been closed.