Let Harmonix Know that the DLC Content Filter Sucks

Comments

• ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I don't really care about the filter. Some songs obviously shouldn't be played by children. But I don't understand why some songs didn't pass.

I think more family friendly songs should be put into the rock band platform now that we have a whole game for them.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    The DLC filter doesnt suck. It works pretty well. Out of the 680 DLC songs I have, 323 of them made it through. Im stoked.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited November 2009
    zeoavenger;3223576 said:
    This kind of parent is what's wrong with America. Wants to do the least amount possible to actually be a parent. Like going into a menu enabling parental controls is such a burden. Lazy ass people.
    Wait, the (monogendered) guy says "thanks" to a filter that's built in and suddenly s/he's the Worst Parent Ever? Does s/he say anywhere that s/he doesn't support a filter disabling? S/He would probably be just as thankful that an option is built in and enabled by default.

The point being made is that LEGO Rock Band is designed for kids, and the filter helps with that. All these songs are still playable on the main platform, so it's not like you're being FORCED to play this music on the gimped version of the game. I'd find it as amusing as anyone here would to see Lego characters jumping around to Cannibal Corpse, but the straight-up fact here is that we had advance knowledge about the filter, it doesn't affect anything in the game itself (only external content), and we can download all these songs to RB2/RB1. Harmonix wanted to make a game for kids, and this person is thankful for that. That's not attitude that deserves a Worst Parent Ever award, and that you even THINK it is is kind of icky.

Personal point of reference: The Worst Parent Ever (in the sense of "trying to parent their children as little as possible") award would be asking why stuff like HSF is even available on the Rock Band platform at large, and they shouldn't even OFFER that for purchase in Rock Band 2, as it might offend their babies.

ETA:
    zeoavenger;3223635 said:
    That's true but the MA-13 rating on the cover (done by the VRC) is what led to that code existing. It's a different time.

I doubt an unlocking of the filter would do much for this game though. It wouldn't be like MK back in the 90's. Most of the kids 10 or older that would play this game already have RB2 hence having DLC to begin with. This filter is just an inconvienence to everyone except lazy parents.
    While I understand where you're coming from now, you forget the possible alternative: Parents can lock up games. Thus, while the adults play stuff like Caprici di Diablo (why did THAT not make the filter?) in RB2, they keep it away from the kids, who end up playing MuteMath and the Irons instead.

Where is the line between active and lazy parenting? Is a parent locking away a disc (let's not even consider Rock Band; let's say GTAIV or MadWorld or something) considered lazy because they aren't actively trying to participate with their kid in their gaming endeavors, or responsible because they don't want their kids playing it? And how would this be any different?

If my perspective wasn't already clear, I'ma state it now: I think parents can run their house any way they want to, including censoring things. Sure, it leads to the whole tight-grip-on-the-soap problem where the more you squeeze, the more likely it'll slip, but that's the family's problem and they'll have to own up to the consequences. Truly lazy parenting comes from making decisions that censor stuff for OTHER families.
  • JJohnsJJohns Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    First of all, anyone going after HMX over ANYTHING to do with LEGO Rock Band is absurd. HMX licensed the name Rock Band to Traveller's Tales and Warner Brothers Interactive to create the game, much like Lucasfilm did with Star Wars and Indiana Jones. HMX HAS nothing to do with LEGO Rock Band's content filters.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    raahsnavj;3223353 said:
    I think the filter is bull as well. Worst case, there should be an option in the Extras menu to enable / disable the filter - using a password if they really want to get fancy.

My #1 con to this game is that it doesn't allow me to take my DLC with me into it. What is worse is 'some' of it goes though, so then you have a mess trying to figure out what is going to go and what isn't, so you just gamble and find 50% doesn't... it is disappointing.
    No need to gamble ahead of time. People are overlooking that the DLC portability is, believe it or not, still an extra in the game. It didn't have to happen at all. But it does. And all you need to do is turn on the Lego game and see what's there. Now, if you're basing whether or not you'll buy LRB on what of your existing DLC will work within this new game with its own song selection, something seems a little odd. The game itself should be its own draw, with DLC compatibility being a bonus, not the other way around.

No issues with the filter here. I know that of the hundreds of songs that we've bought, some will come over and some won't. That's just how it is with the game. As a consumer, one accepts that and makes the purchase or doesn't.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    The easiest solution is export the songs to RB2 and then you have all your DLC to play.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    zeoavenger;3223576 said:
    This kind of parent is what's wrong with America. Wants to do the least amount possible to actually be a parent. Like going into a menu enabling parental controls is such a burden. Lazy ass people.
    This kind of gamer is what's wrong with America. Wants to do the least amount possible to actually be a gamer. Like going into a menu exporting songs is such a burden. Lazy ass people.
  • ToodoolooToodooloo Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I don't really get the point of this filter.

I mean, what it does is 'forbid' you to play certain DLC songs on lego rock band.
    But, if you bought Hammer Smashed Face as DLC when it came out on Rock Band, no matter how old you are, you're probably buying it with the idea of actually PLAYING it at some point, and when you play it, regardless of what game it's on (regular rock band etc), you'll hear the swearing/grunting/blahblah anyway.

I'd say that letting people play these songs on Lego Rock Band takes the 'seriousness' away from the songs that aren't really suited for children (face it, there's no one that WOULDN'T buy the Mayhem pack if they could see their little lego men play it, right?)

I'd say change the filter, let everyone play any song they already own on L:RB and make these 'filtered' songs not show up in the lego rock band music store, so that people without regular Rock Band can't buy them.. Because if you've bought these songs on RB2 before you already know that they're not really suited for kids anyway.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Toodooloo;3224085 said:
    Because if you've bought these songs on RB2 before you already know that they're not really suited for kids anyway.
    Because adults are only allowed to buy things that are suited for kids once they have them right?
  • HeatHeat Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Damn Right, anyone whose got over 150 DLC like me, will be absolutely
    gutted because of the money we've spent. :mad:
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Heat;3224541 said:
    They still play just fine in RB2 and RB1.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    k-mac;3223854 said:
    The easiest solution is export the songs to RB2 and then you have all your DLC to play.
    monkeyfish;3223994 said:
    This kind of gamer is what's wrong with America. Wants to do the least amount possible to actually be a gamer. Like going into a menu exporting songs is such a burden. Lazy ass people.
    Its not just that, LEGO has actual stars and stats and an overall better interface. I'd ditch RB2 in a heartbeat.
  • Dino1626Dino1626 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Heat;3224541 said:
    Well Pardner, I have more than 150 DLC (Way more in fact). I don't have a problem with the DLC filter at all. When export time comes on the 12th, I'll export to RB2 and be happy. I'll keep LEGO as well, as I am having a blast playing the game.

And please don't lump the rest of us in your rants. :)
    edited November 2009
    Toodooloo;3224085 said:
    I don't really get the point of this filter.

I mean, what it does is 'forbid' you to play certain DLC songs on lego rock band.
    But, if you bought Hammer Smashed Face as DLC when it came out on Rock Band, no matter how old you are, you're probably buying it with the idea of actually PLAYING it at some point, and when you play it, regardless of what game it's on (regular rock band etc), you'll hear the swearing/grunting/blahblah anyway.

Because if you've bought these songs on RB2 before you already know that they're not really suited for kids anyway.
    All I can say is WOW. :rolleyes: Yes, I bought Hammer Smashed Face for RB2. Yes, I do play the song. Yes, I know that it is not really suited for kids. But, now when my young son/daughter, niece/nephew, etc.... wants to play Rockband, I throw in LEGO Rockband and don't have to worry about any of that. That's the point of the filter. If I want to play the songs (that are NOT suited for kids), I throw in RB2 and play whatever I want.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Dino1626;3224782 said:
    All I can say is WOW. :rolleyes: Yes, I bought Hammer Smashed Face for RB2. Yes, I do play the song. Yes, I know that it is not really suited for kids. But, now when my young son/daughter, niece/nephew, etc.... wants to play Rockband, I throw in LEGO Rockband and don't have to worry about any of that. That's the point of the filter. If I want to play the songs (that are NOT suited for kids), I throw in RB2 and play whatever I want.
    Stop making sense. It confuses people.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Or at least lighten it up a bit. Example Don't stop believing isn't playable in lego because of this line.
    A singer in a smoky room
    A smell of wine and cheap perfume
    Just because of the reference of an alcoholic drink and the smell of smoke. You can't tell a kid has never smelled the smell of smoke or wine. I would understand the singer saying the act of but not a mere reference the smell. Are you trying to shelter kids from here the name of a general term for an alcoholic drink or the smell of smoke?
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3224805 said:
    Stop making sense. It confuses people.
    I wouldn't be suprised if a light breeze confuses some of them.
    General Lein979;3224851 said:
    Or at least lighten it up a bit. Example Don't stop believing isn't playable in lego because of this line.

A singer in a smoky room
    A smell of wine and cheap perfume

^ Where did you get this information?

I'm not arguing with you, but it could be for this line:

For a smile they can share the night

Or this line:

Everybody wants a thrill

There are a lot of phrases that can be misconstrued. I don't know why some songs didn't make it in, but I think the filter is a great tool for people that have young kids that play. When the parents feel the kids are old enough, they can move them up to RB2. Just my $.02.
  • Bosco32Bosco32 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I don't mind the idea of the filter. But I am annoyed at some of the silliness of the rating system.
    edited November 2009
    Dino1626;3224782 said:
    Or you can just be responsible and monitor their actions, or explain its just MUSIC. Irresponsible parents are the reason for parental advisory stickers and censorship.
  • PopCornHopperPopCornHopper Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I'm totally fine with the filter.
  • nolanandrewnolanandrew Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    The DLC content filter sucks.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    General Lein979;3224851 said:
    Don't stop believing isn't playable in lego because of this line.
    Actually, we have no idea why any song specifically was blocked from being playable in Rock Band.

It's just an exercise in frustration. And something there's no point in doing unless you enjoy making yourself angry.
  • PerfxionPerfxion Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    ghostofjarjar;3225024 said:
    Or you can just be responsible and monitor their actions, or explain its just MUSIC. Irresponsible parents are the reason for parental advisory stickers and censorship.
    You do know that parents can own things that they don't want children age 10 not to touch or use? Most houses in the US have some kind of alcoholic beverage in the house. Doesn't mean little Johnny needs to be taking swigs of patron. Maybe parents want to be adults and not give up everything being an adult.

This is first and foremost a CHILD'S game. The songs and the content allowed are for ages 10 and up. It isn't made to the same crowd as RB2 or worse GTA IV. So, it has filters on content that TT/HMX believe are not suitable for kids. It isn't lazy, irresponsible parents, its smart adults allowing their children from playing games/songs that are not suited for them. Just because YOU want to play them in a CHILD'S game does not mean that everyone else wants the same action as YOU. Developers saw it a different way.
    edited November 2009
    Perfxion;3226039 said:
    Just because YOU want to play them in a CHILD'S game does not mean that everyone else wants the same action as YOU. Developers saw it a different way.
    We will all agree to disagree. Thanks for the insight!
  • onduvalstonduvalst Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    the filter blows. my kid loves I wanna Break free and Once in a lifetime which is blocked but Uncle John's Band comes up in a mystery set list and goddamn is plain as day and uncensored.
  • alten2345alten2345 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Yeah....how does Tempted by Squeeze make it in and some of the Weezer songs don't ? Tempted is about a girl cheating on her guy. Not really kid friendly is it? I mean if they're solely leaving out songs because of profanity that's kind of ridiculous. I think the concept of infidelity is a bit worse then words like sh*t and d*mn.
  • edited November 2009
    Perfxion;3226039 said:

This is first and foremost a CHILD'S game.
    all video games are for children and children only. theory destroyed
  • vgericvgeric Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Don't know why "There's No Other Way" by Blur isn't acceptable... the lyrics are completely harmless and Blur are in the game...

Just my 2 cents,

E
  • onduvalstonduvalst Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    vgeric;3226150 said:
    Don't know why "There's No Other Way" by Blur isn't acceptable... the lyrics are completely harmless and Blur are in the game...

Just my 2 cents,

E
    i don't own this song but i googled the lyrics and can not figure out why it wouldn't make it in.

You're taking the fun
    Out of everything
    Making me run
    When I don't want to think
    You're taking the fun
    Out of everything
    I don't want to think at all

[Chorus]
    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

You're taking the fun
    Out of everything
    You're making it clear
    When I don't want to think
    You're taking me up
    When I don't want to go up anymore
    I'm just watching it all

[repeat chorus]
  • EdgeheadEdgehead Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    If you wouldn't mind, I would like it blew...........DLC Filter fails horribly
This discussion has been closed.