That AUDIO LAG ISSUE

BorderBrotherBorderBrother Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I find that I cannot enjoy singing/rhythm games simply because there is a very noticeable AUDIO lag. I will hit a drum pad or sing a note and the actual sound comes out of my system a fraction of a second later (maybe around 100 ms later?) this is NOT a video /audio lag issue that I have read so much about. it is simply that you hit a note or sing a song and the sound comes out significantly later, and it throws you off, what can I do to remedy this situation? it is very annoying. ...for the record, I am using a Philips 42" LCD and a Sony Bravia surround system.
(any help, advice, and /or tips are greatly appreciated)

Comments

• Awesome_TreeAwesome_Tree Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    In game calibration?
  • BorderBrotherBorderBrother Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Naw..... I have tried the "auto calibrating" that comes with these types of games, ROCK BAND, BAND HERO/GUITAR HERO, LIPS, Etc. this is NOT a video Vs. audio lag issue (the video and audio are "in sync" (I guess), it is simply a very annoying but very noticeable audio lag between the time you sing a note and the time it takes for it to come out of your sound system.
  • Awesome_TreeAwesome_Tree Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Don't do the auto calibration, and do the manual one instead?
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Ive tried that as well, again.... the audio AND video are sync'ed together. its just that the actual sound comes out significantly after you sing a note (or hit a drum pad).
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    Awesome_Tree;3222904 said:
    Don't do the auto calibration, and do the manual one instead?
    Dude, stop. It's not his calibration settings. It's his A/V setup.

BorderBrother, here's the thread you want:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10861
    edited November 2009
    Davidshek, thank you for the link to that thread; I will try a couple of things when I get home. at least I know that I am not alone with this issue...... thanks again.
    edited November 2009
    As I was reading the SUPER LONG thread on the link that Davidshek provided, I realized as I only read (so far) up to page 14 (much more to go........), this seems like a serious problem. I cant wait to read if HMX ever responded to the issue (DON'T SPOIL IT, PLEASE!!!!) I will brew a nice cup of coffee tonight and know full well that I have a few hours worth of reading material.
    This really sucks though..... to know that there are some games where this mysterious lag is (almost) NON-existent (KONAMI KARAOKE REVOLUTION), to existent (ROCK BAND), to VERY existent (BAND HERO Etc.) all these on the PS3. to the worst culprit of all...... XBOX360's karaoke game, "LIPS". This game is UNPLAYABLE because of the horrible lag.
    Is there a REAL solution short of buying a 20 year old 19" tv from Craigs List and playing our games through that awesome 3" speaker? (note: sarcasm)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    BorderBrother;3224894 said:
    Is there a REAL solution short of buying a 20 year old 19" tv from Craigs List and playing our games through that awesome 3" speaker? (note: sarcasm)
    Yes. You'll find as you read through that thread that the cause of the vocal lag is not the game, nor the gaming console. It's the TV. HDTV's have built-in audio delay to compensate for the extra video processing they have to do. That way, the audio comes out of the TV's speakers at the same time the video is displayed on the screen.

The easiest way to get around that it use an audio receiver rather than the TV's speakers. But even there, you'll find that while some receivers are great at outputting sound very quickly, others have some delay due to extra processing. Most of them will have some sort of a "Bypass" or "Direct" mode that cures that bit though.
  • snigglesniggle Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Also be sure to keep dolby digital disabled. The processing overhead adds latency.