Summer of 69 - appropriate?

Brian_StormBrian_Storm Opening Act
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I thought LEGO RB was supposed to be 'family friendly' yet this song by the unfortunate Bryan Adams has strong sexual references...even in the title...did the creators forget this fact or think that it would just slip by unnoticed? 69...really?

Comments

• NulienNulien Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    This probably wouldn't even occur to most young kids, unless you specifically told them about it. Honestly, it hadn't even occurred to me at 31.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Kid's won't notice, and this song was one of the huge reasons I bought the game :D
  • dblduecedblduece Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    This song has nothing to do with sex. It's about a young kid growing up and his first experiences with music in the Summer of 1969. It kills me that people actually think this song has anything even remotely subliminal in it. Hell, I don't even think the term "69" was even around when this song was released.
  • LORDJUJULORDJUJU Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Get your mind out of the gutter. There is nothing sexual about that title.
  • xXZeroOverrideXxxXZeroOverrideXx Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, theres nothing sexual about it.
    Although, when I first heard the song, I thought Bryan Adams said "I Got My First Real Sex Dream"
    lolwut
    And that reminds me, my locker number at school is 1-69 >.>
  • edited November 2009
    I was surprised, too, although in reality, the lyrics themselves are not very obvious that that's really the true meaning. The only real reason we know that it truly means that is because Bryan Adams came out and said that he made it with that meaning.

Bands That Rock Band Needs as DLC
    []Huey Lewis & The News
    []Poison
    []Whitesnake
    []Bruce Hornsby
    []Heart
    []Yes
    []Scorpions
    []Skid Row
    [X]Bryan Adams (now give us Heaven and Run to You)
    []Twisted Sister
    []Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    []Classic Guns 'N Roses
    [X]REO Speedwagon (may I suggest another pack with Keep On Lovin' You, Time For Me To Fly, and Can't Fight This Feeling?)
  • idlephaseidlephase Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    The Beatles's album Abbey Road was released in nineteen-[CENSORED]
  • Jaden-SanJaden-San Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Are you serious? -_-; Have you even listened to the song? You haven't, have you? :rolleyes:
  • playmikeplaymike Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    most kids don't (or shouldn't) know what a "69" is. If they do, you have a whole other set of problems.
  • edited November 2009
    A lot of neat things happened in 1969...

Priceless...
  • DrRock69DrRock69 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    i never once thought of the song title in a sexual way untill i entered this thread
  • CyanFunkCyanFunk Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    It's about scoring in the summer of 1969, which, if you were in the right place, wasn't really that hard

Besides, it flies over most people's heads
    Doc_SoCal;3225382 said:
    A lot of neat things happened in 1969...
    You either trekked fifteen miles to an overcrowded field where you were afraid to take a drink as there might be acid in it or, if you lived in LA, had to lock your doors in fear of a failed rock star who killed people in attempts to start a war based off a Beatles song

Good times. Good times...
  • edited November 2009
    Haha, sorry, but not every reference to the number 69 is sexual in nature.
  • GhostOfRingoStarrGhostOfRingoStarr The Eggman
    edited November 2009
    Is this serious?

It never ceases to amaze me what contrived scenarios people will come up with to be offended by. :rolleyes:
  • GoatbusterGoatbuster Rising Star
    edited November 2009
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    xXZeroOverrideXx;3225295 said:
    Yeah, theres nothing sexual about it.
    Riiight, keep telling yourself that. The 2nd to last line of the song says, "Yeah, me and my babe in a 69!". And yes, I'm quite aware that it means 1969, but that line is pretty blatant for those who choose to see it in a sexual way. :)

But that said, there's nothing wrong with this song for LRB.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    This is almost as bad as that cat who declared the Nevermind baby's penis to be inappropriate for a child's eyes.

There are a few other songs that are more suggestive that are either on disc or made it through the filter. I find this one relatively tame.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I was mortally offended when Bryan said "when you held my hand, I knew it was now or never."

Damn hand-holding! That's very much frowned upon in my Amish Methodist (Orthodox) church.
  • EPIC_FAIL_GUYEPIC_FAIL_GUY Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    In a 2008 interview with thecelebritycafe.com, Adams said:

"I think 'Summer of '69' — I think it's timeless because it's about making love in the summertime. There is a slight misconception it's about a year, but it's not. '69' has nothing to do about a year, it has to do with a sexual position... At the end of the song the lyric says that it's me and my baby in a 69. You'd have to be pretty thick in the ears if you couldn't get that lyric"
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2009
    Co-writer Jim Vallance has always gone for the more conventional interpretation of the title being a reference to a year. He notes Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty", which contains references to 1965 and 1969, as his own influence, and recalls Adams cited the film Summer of '42 as his.[4] Vallance has said:

"I wish this little "controversy" would just go away. First of all, when Bryan and I were writing the song, it was originally called "Best Days Of My Life". The words "summer of '69" only appeared once, right after "played it 'til my fingers bled". That was it! The song really was about the summer of 1969! It took us a week or two to fine-tune the lyric. At some point we realized that "Summer Of '69" was a better title, so we literally "shoe-horned" that phrase into a few more places in the song. At no time do I recall discussing sexual innuendo with Bryan ' except for one little thing. When we recorded the demo in my basement, towards the end of the song Bryan sang a little naughty bit: "me and my baby in a '69". We had a laugh about it at the time, and Bryan decided to keep it when he did the final recording a month or two later. Nobody seemed to notice, and that was the end of it until a few years ago when Bryan started introducing the song in concert by saying, "This song has nothing to do with the year 1969". The audience reaction was predictable. Let me qualify this by saying I don't pretend to speak for Bryan. Two of us wrote the song. Maybe he was thinking about something completely different ... but I was thinking about that amazing summer when I turned 17. There were brand new vinyl albums released by The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Kinks, Janis Joplin, The Band. It was awesome and I'll never forget it. Bryan Adams is a great writer, a great singer, and a great friend. He's entitled to his recollections as to what inspired the song "Summer Of '69". My recollections just happen to be different than his."
    So in the other Adams interview he may have been joking.
  • ryan12147ryan12147 Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Give it up guys, the Canadian Government has already deeply apologized for Bryan Adams.
  • EPIC_FAIL_GUYEPIC_FAIL_GUY Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    haha yeah, but I guess we'll never know the truth
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited November 2009
    What are you talking about? There's nothing sexual about that song in the slightest. It's just about a guy living in the 60's and 70's, he grew up, got a band together, and then they broke up. He met a girl at a drive-in (and I guess they got married?), and now he's reminiscing about those good old days with someone.
    edited November 2009
    TheRollingBones;3225831 said:
    What are you talking about? There's nothing sexual about that song in the slightest. It's just about a guy living in the 60's and 70's, he grew up, got a band together, and then they broke up. He met a girl at a drive-in (and I guess they got married?), and now he's reminiscing about those good old days with someone.
    I blame the band falling apart on Jimmy.
    edited November 2009
    Lawdog1521;3225843 said:
    I blame the band falling apart on Jimmy.
    Dude, it was totally Jody's fault. Everybody knows you can't be in a band and then get married.
  • dblduecedblduece Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3225908 said:
    Dude, it was totally JODY's fault. Everybody knows you can't be in a band and then get married.
    Fixed that for ya. ;)
  • Xander730Xander730 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Wow think the OP just has a dirty mind:)
    edited November 2009
    dblduece;3225946 said:
    Fixed that for ya. ;)
    Yeah yeah, even I typo sometimes, shocking right? "e" and "d" are right next to each other. :)
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3225908 said:
    Dude, it was totally Jody's fault. Everybody knows you can't be in a band and then get married.
    But Jimmy just up and quit. Why even join if you don't take it serious?

Edit: While this song is questionable, what about Suffergate City?
This discussion has been closed.