play button in Reaper

RobbySuaveRobbySuave Rising Star
edited November 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I searched the Reaper forum on this, but couldn't find anything. I thought I'd have a quick answer to my question here.

When I hit the play button, it won't play exactly where I've got the selection line thing; it scoots back about a second and plays from there. There has to be a way to keep it from doing that. How?

Comments

• DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Save, quit, Open. Reaper does the same to me after I've been working in it for a while. My guess is it's something with buffering.
  • RobbySuaveRobbySuave Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    It always does this. It doesn't matter what I do.

I use various other audio type programs, and I've never had this problem happen in those.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I had this problem on my laptop despite it working perfectly on my Mac Pro (I use a fast start/stop sequence to listen for audio notes to be correctly located).

I too assumed it was some kind of buffer issue, but I have so far not figured it out.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited November 2009
    This may be an audio driver issue. One way to get more synced up audio (if you are on a PC), is to use ASIO, and I find that ASIO4ALL is a good open source driver.

www.asio4all.com
    edited November 2009
    Hm. I'll look into that. But it just seems weird that I'll have the song paused, put my cursor thingie where I want to start playing from, hit play, and it will always start playing a second before where I had it set to. I mean, you can see the line back up from where you had it and start playing.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I had the same issue when I started, and then I installed asio4all and the buffer went from over 100 ms to about 16 ms, thus eliminating the problem you have described :)
    edited November 2009
    Yep. ASIO4ALL solved my problem. Thanks.