GLITCH - Lego Rock Band Broken Offline (XBOX 360)

zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I saw a few complaints about people getting a Spanish error message when playing Lego Rock Band. I didn't have any issues with the game until last night when my internet wasn't working. I took this video to show the problems I was having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29dgK-S_I1A

(can someone translate this message?)

The video shows that it continually happens.


If you have DLC and try to play this game offline you can't do it. When you choose a DLC or are forced into a DLC song in a mystery setlist the game glitches out and is impossible to play. If you get the error message it kicks you back to the band select screen.

Things I've noticed while offline:

1 - All LRB songs work fine

2 - Some DLC songs will work (Take Me Out and one of the Rush songs work)

3 - Setlists will glitch out in the middle of playing it if a song that doesn't work is in the middle of the set.

4 - Quickplay is also affected (I guess you could go through and figure out every song that's affected, but I'm not putting that kind of time into this issue)

Comments

  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    it says the data of the song you´re trying to access isnt aviable, and the game cannot continue without that data, your sesion has restarted.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    zeoavenger;3230090 said:
    If you have DLC and try to play this game offline you can't do it. When you choose a DLC or are forced into a DLC song in a mystery setlist the game glitches out and is impossible to play. If you get the error message it kicks you back to the band select screen.
    Sounds to me like you need to make sure all of your DLC licenses are appropriately assigned to your Xbox. Did you get a RROD at some point and get your console repaired/replaced?

    Might be worth checking: http://www.xbox.com/drm
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3230156 said:
    Sounds to me like you need to make sure all of your DLC licenses are appropriately assigned to your Xbox. Did you get a RROD at some point and get your console repaired/replaced?

    Might be worth checking: http://www.xbox.com/drm
    I have switched consoles (upgraded to an elite) but I did the license transfer thing months ago. Did you try to replicate the problem on your console and everything worked for you?
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    zeoavenger;3230320 said:
    I have switched consoles (upgraded to an elite) but I did the license transfer thing months ago. Did you try to replicate the problem on your console and everything worked for you?
    Did you go into your download history and redownload the songs you transferred? If not that's the cause of your problem.
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited November 2009
    Catch-22;3230608 said:
    Did you go into your download history and redownload the songs you transferred? If not that's the cause of your problem.
    Do you have to re-download everything individually? Or is there a quicker, easier way?
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    zeoavenger;3230320 said:
    I have switched consoles (upgraded to an elite) but I did the license transfer thing months ago. Did you try to replicate the problem on your console and everything worked for you?
    Did the same thing, had to re-download everything again.

    Good luck, I had to do over 600 songs at the time, took me hours.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    BevoTheWarrior;3230616 said:
    Do you have to re-download everything individually? Or is there a quicker, easier way?
    You need to redownload them, but you don't have to delete them first. So the redownload should only take a few seconds for each file, since all it is doing is refreshing the DRM information.
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3230716 said:
    You need to redownload them, but you don't have to delete them first. So the redownload should only take a few seconds for each file, since all it is doing is refreshing the DRM information.
    Awesome, thanks! You just saved from the Eternal Hell of being on hold with Xbox Live Customer Support. :D
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    BevoTheWarrior;3230725 said:
    Awesome, thanks! You just saved from the Eternal Hell of being on hold with Xbox Live Customer Support. :D
    It goes fast, of course I did it last year when I had significantly less items to download:p
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Catch-22;3230608 said:
    Did you go into your download history and redownload the songs you transferred? If not that's the cause of your problem.
    This was the problem. Well that sucked. :D I had previoulsy redownloaded all the songs as well but it didn't take for some reason. the reason I got an elite is because I needed a bigger HDD. So I went in and individually downloaded all the songs with the elite console. Guess it didn't recognize that I did that. The "download again" thing worked though.

    Thanks for the help.
  • deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Catch-22;3230749 said:
    It goes fast, of course I did it last year when I had significantly less items to download:p
    It's even faster when you go thru the xboxlive website...
Sign In or Register to comment.