Drumfills whisper quiet, and lack of options (PS3)

adam08obamaadam08obama Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Yeah... so setting aside for a moment that I kinda regret getting this game, and find it ridiculous that there's an export fee (RB1 was created before the idea of a disc export, so it made sense if we had to pay a little extra for the unforseen need to use those songs in other games).

Right setting that aside, I say again for emphasis lol... Why are drum sounds during fills barely audible? Even when at full loudness (due to nailing a symbol) they are maybe 33% the volume of the background music. Not only that but drum velocity annoys me, because it has never worked properly, and there's no option to turn it off. Heck there's hardly any options for anything at all.

what the f was I thinking, this was a freakin rental at best.

Comments

• EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    The export has NOTHING to do with the game quality and I dont see how its bothered you since you havent spent a dime.

Or did you spend 10 knowing full well what you were getting and youre still pissed?

The fills sound the same to me in RB2.
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    The fills are definately quieter especially on my ION and I really get annoyed by it, but it's not game-changing.
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    adam08obama;3234050 said:
    Yeah... so setting aside for a moment that I kinda regret getting this game, and find it ridiculous that there's an export fee (RB1 was created before the idea of a disc export, so it made sense if we had to pay a little extra for the unforseen need to use those songs in other games).

Right setting that aside, I say again for emphasis lol... Why are drum sounds during fills barely audible? Even when at full loudness (due to nailing a symbol) they are maybe 33% the volume of the background music. Not only that but drum velocity annoys me, because it has never worked properly, and there's no option to turn it off. Heck there's hardly any options for anything at all.

what the f was I thinking, this was a freakin rental at best.
    When RB1 was made exportable, Harmonix announced that the export fee is to cover the cost of additional licensing, which is also the case for LEGO. Track Packs are free to export because the licensing costs will be covered from sales once all of the songs are released as DLC.

Export fee was announced to be $10 prior to release. You weren't thinking, obviously, otherwise you would've done some sort of research regarding it prior to purchase.
    edited November 2009
    Actually Harmonix, ever since they had to relicense songs from the RB1 export, have been liscensing them for the RB Platform and not individual games (which is why you can play songs in RB1, RB2, and LRB).

I'm assuming LRB's export fee was to get people to play the game and not just buy it and export it.

That, or HMX recieves all the money from the Export option because it has nothing to do with other LRB companies. WB and TT Games get the majority of proceeds from LRB and they have no business taking money from a transaction that doesn't involve their game. So, it's used to cover expenses.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Zephiel;3234692 said:
    Actually Harmonix, ever since they had to relicense songs from the RB1 export, have been liscensing them for the RB Platform and not individual games (which is why you can play songs in RB1, RB2, and LRB).
    You know this how?
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3234719 said:
    You know this how?
    Because it would be stupid to do otherwise and have to relicense RB1, RB2, LRB, and the (almost 1000) DLC songs AGAIN for export into the apparently-happening RB3. It's fiscally irresponsible.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Zephiel;3234759 said:
    Because it would be stupid to do otherwise and have to relicense RB1, RB2, LRB, and the (almost 1000) DLC songs AGAIN for export into the apparently-happening RB3. It's fiscally irresponsible.
    So you dont know.
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3234774 said:
    So you dont know.
    Well, technically no, but I do know that HMX isn't a stupid company.

So I put two and two together.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Zephiel;3234807 said:
    Well, technically no, but I do know that HMX isn't a stupid company.

So I put two and two together.
    Thats the problem around here. (im not refering to you) People make stuff up and then they get annoyed and pissed by the info they made up in thier heads.
  • edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3234820 said:
    Thats the problem around here. (im not refering to you) People make stuff up and then they get annoyed and pissed by the info they made up in thier heads.
    So true.
  • newmanatornewmanator Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Drum fills are very quiet (apart from the snare.) I turned up my tv the first time I played it to hear them but got deafened by the back and forth-sound of the guitar intro in Grace.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    When the PS3 finally gets the star patch, it will make the drum fills equally quiet as the Lego drum fills (like they were originally before a patch broke the velocity sensitivity.) I hate it and wish I could turn it off.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3234719 said:
    You know this how?
    It'd be hard to find the quote now, but I distinctly remember that being said by some HMX person around the time RB2 was coming out and they were talking about the export thing. Not so much about the fee, but about the 3 songs that didn't make it, they said that wouldn't happen again, because all songs from then on were being licensed for the platform.

It might just have been a collective hallucination, but I'm pretty sure that it was said by somebody at some point. I'll see if I can find it.

Also, I agree that the drum fills (even on my 360) are notably quiet. Quieter than RB2 fills, definitely.
  • richa2002richa2002 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    NoThru22;3236828 said:
    When the PS3 finally gets the star patch, it will make the drum fills equally quiet as the Lego drum fills (like they were originally before a patch broke the velocity sensitivity.) I hate it and wish I could turn it off.
    This isn't actually the case. The drum fillls on a patched Xbox 360 on RB2 are louder than the LEGO drum fills.
  • PopCornHopperPopCornHopper Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    LuigiHann;3237318 said:
    It'd be hard to find the quote now, but I distinctly remember that being said by some HMX person around the time RB2 was coming out and they were talking about the export thing. Not so much about the fee, but about the 3 songs that didn't make it, they said that wouldn't happen again, because all songs from then on were being licensed for the platform.
    Which just means that we aren't likely to see on disc songs that aren't portable in future releases. It still costs more to license for the platform than for a single title. That cost gets passed on to those who actually export thus keeping the cost of the title reasonable.

To force everyone to pay for the export would be fiscally irresponsible.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited November 2009
    The drum fills are quieter in LRB, I agree.

As for the fee to export, it's just business. They could have tacked on 10 dollars to the disc price and made EVERYONE pay for it even if they weren't going to use it. Instead they've got it seperate for the people that see value in it.

If you don't see the value in it, by all means don't pay it.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I think the fee to export is an excellent idea, as is the code for it. So many people coming on board the RB2 wagon either rented or borrowed a copy of RB1 to get 55 songs for $5. The code with this game helps to prevent that from occurring. I'm guessing that $10 was the sweet spot for Harmonix on how much they could deduct from the cost of the game without risking loss in case people didn't utilize the export; otherwise, I think $15 or even $20 would have been a good idea.
  • DiabloNeonXDiabloNeonX Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Zephiel;3234692 said:

I'm assuming LRB's export fee was to get people to play the game and not just buy it and export it.

That, or HMX recieves all the money from the Export option because it has nothing to do with other LRB companies. WB and TT Games get the majority of proceeds from LRB and they have no business taking money from a transaction that doesn't involve their game. So, it's used to cover expenses.
    I thought HMXSean said something about this a couple of months prior to the 360 launch of RB2, where they were licensing for the platform, and had to do the export fee for RB1 because the whole RB platform idea was an afterthought, after the initial licensing had already been done for RB1. Something like DLC licenses were set up to include the RB platform, but the RB1 disc licenses didn't have the platform clause, hence the need for re-licensing and the export fee.

It may not have been Sean who said that. It might have been someone else. But, I could have sworn I remember reading something in regards to that more than a year ago.

I could be wrong though.
  • madillmamadillma Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I think I figured out why the fills are quieter. It seems the drum noises during the fills are tied to the "sound effects" volume setting in the audio/video options. I normally turn these way down so that the music stands out, but in LRB this has the undesired effect of making my drum fills too quiet.

This is on the Wii btw, but I think it might be a cross-platform issue.