X-Play's LRB review fact check

Icyjoe14Icyjoe14 Rising Star
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I don't know how many of you saw it but X-Play reviewed LRB today and I couldn't believe how much they twisted the truth and felt the need to discuss it here.

1. "The difficulty levels have been adjusted to make it a tad bit easier"
To me it seems pretty obvious that the charting hasn't changed, as x-play makes it sound like, instead easier songs have been selected. If the difficulty levels had been "adjusted" then satch boogie wouldn't be OMGWTFBBQ, it would just be OMGWTF, if you know what i mean

2. "Super easy was probably made for the color blind"
Being color blind wouldn't change your ability to play the game, take http://www.youtube.com/user/vildiil for example

3. "LRB has all the same modes that all the other rythym games feature"
Normally I'd let this fly but taking out score duel, tug of war, and all online seem to be major changes. They also go on to mention Rock Power Challenges, acting as if they are the same as say GH5 challenges when instead they are a new concept.

4."The game is mainly comprised of pop tunes"
This may be mainly true but in the end there are many non-pop songs that really make the setlist stand out from say, Band Hero.

5. "Where's the Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift Pop Cuts for the kids?"
Sure, the question is legitimate but in reality this is making fun of the game and not providing criticism or comment, the purpose of a review. The way Morgan Webb says this as well, finishing with "oh god why?" is completely irrevelant to the game and is admittedly funny but still could be misleading

Overall I think that they did give it a 4/5 and I realize x-play is a tv show that is meant to be entertaining but I just couldn't stand this review and felt the need to see if I was the only one who felt this way, maybe even a little bit offended. I wasn't sure whether discussing reviews is allowed or tolerated on the RB forums but I mean we are talking about Lego Rock Band so I just went with it

heres a link btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCj5BDSRFhg

/rant :D

Comments

• NulienNulien Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Regarding point 1: I haven't watched this review, but it seems like they could've been referring to the way failing songs works (that is, you don't fail entirely, and recover yourself). That alone makes it quite a bit easier. For instance, you mention Satch Boogie not being any easier... it's true that the chart's the same, but at least I know I'll still be playing up to the end of the song, even if I fail out and I'm not playing briefly, and can still 5-star it, whereas in RB2, I've only managed to get through it once.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    X-Play lost its significance years ago. I used to love that show, but it all went downhill. The quality, the humor, the fact-checking. Now it's mostly a hanger-on used to promote Human Wrecking Balls and Ninja Warrior.

...It didn't help that Morgan Webb stopped wearing low-cut shirts and short skirts. :D
  • EmalytheEmalythe Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Consider the source - Remember their reviews of The Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5?

TB:RB review: Amazing graphics, fun gameplay, a fantastic song list from arguably the best band in history. 4/5 stars.

Guitar Hero 5 review: Ability to play all guitar, all bass, all drums or all singer kinda fun but not really a game changer. Drop-in play decent, but mostly more of the same. Kurt Cobain's dead! Ha ha ha! Kurt Cobain took drugs! Ha ha ha! Kurt Cobain blew his head off with a shotgun! Ha ha ha! 4/5 stars.
  • RickXTNRickXTN Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I saw that X-Play review and just wanted to reach through the screen and slap them. I Tivo new episodes of X-Play for one reason... to get glimpses of games I may be interested in. Lord knows I don't take their advice on anything. I usually get through each episode in about 5 minutes since most of it is on fast forward.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited November 2009
    1. "The difficulty levels have been adjusted to make it a tad bit easier"
    The difficulty is exactly the same. I will say that they re-did the tiering for this game. For instance, a 4 dot song can be 5 red dots in LRB. Yes, the on disc songs are easier on average, but there's songs on the acceptable DLC list that aren't a cake walk. Hello, Constant Motion. Hello, Hysteria on bass. Plenty of others too.

lulz. This was made for little kids. Super Easy is EXACTLY the same as Easy charting wise. It just makes it so you don't have to sing on pitch for vocals (it's counted as all talkies), no need to use fret buttons on guitar/bass, and on drums it automatically does the kick pedal plus you can hit whatever.

3. "LRB has all the same modes that all the other rythym games feature"
    What modes do they want here? Besides, there are new features. The Power Challenges, being able to save setlists as albums, having more customization in general (can customize staff and rock den), etc.

Pop in what definition? Pop the genre, or pop as in popular? There's some of both, but I wouldn't say it's mainly pop tunes.

5. "Where's the Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift Pop Cuts for the kids?"
    *points to all of the Disney singing games and Band Hero* We have enough of that. Thanks. I'm glad they're not here. 'sides, plenty of kids know songs on here. Like Ghostbusters. EVERYBODY knows Ghostbusters. :D
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited November 2009
    Icyjoe14;3236065 said:
    This was such a stupid and ignorant thing for them to say.

I'm colourblind, and I'm a rather highly-ranked Expert guitar player.
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    As #1 goes, I think the star cutoffs are a little lower, and I'm really sure the timing window got bigger (though my auto-calibration came up different in all 3 games, so maybe LEGO just finally got it right to cause that effect). Which would make it seem easier.
  • DiabloNeonXDiabloNeonX Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    You made the mistake of watching X-Play. None of those 360 fanboy assclowns know their ass from a hole in the ground.

If I want my intelligence insulted, I watch X-Play.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited November 2009
    X-play like everything else on that failing network is crap.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Doc_SoCal;3236128 said:
    Just like everyone with a blog things themselves a "journalist"...
    Oh man, don't even get me started on this. One of the most annoying things about trying to find any sort of clips on YouTube is the countless number of "Reaction to" videos that are just people talking into a camera about something you're trying to find a video of.
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3241286 said:
    Oh man, don't even get me started on this. One of the most annoying things about trying to find any sort of clips on YouTube is the countless number of "Reaction to" videos that are just people talking into a camera about something you're trying to find a video of.
    I hate those! Usually you can tell it's going to be some yahoo talking by the star ratings or comments, because most people don't take to that method of advertising nicely.
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    DiabloNeonX;3241029 said:
    You made the mistake of watching X-Play. None of those 360 fanboy assclowns know their ass from a hole in the ground.

While I agree that X-Play's reviews don't matter much to me, I take exception to your "360 fanboy assclowns" comment. There was no need for you to insult those who own and love their 360s. Just a real jerk comment! :mad:
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I'll admit I still watch X-Play, and I still find their reviews to be generally well done and realistic. While maybe a bit overexagerated, I felt the L:RB review was fairly well done and accurate. I would've only given it a 3/5, though...

Oh noez he'z didn't sauck up and say it rulezzz flam3 h1m!!!! :p j.k.
  • cweaver8518cweaver8518 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Does LRB have a greater margin to fail or am I just getting better at drums? I used to never be able to make it through the opening of Move Along, and I got to the disco beat of that song before failing out the other day.

I think it can be easier... not sure if it's just me though.
  • acondon747acondon747 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Those two lost it once it became X-play, extended play was incredible and they gave a damn about the games back then.

I remember them rating one of my favorite games at the time with like a 2/5 then they rate a terrible game with a ton of glitches a 5/5, yep they don't get paid to rate games higher.
    edited November 2009
    acondon747;3242385 said:
    Those two lost it once it became X-play, extended play was incredible and they gave a damn about the games back then.
    Um, only Adam Sessler hosted Extended Play. It took a few episodes of X-Play before Morgan Von Webb joined the family, and for a few years it was an awesome show. (Edit: unless you're talking about the pre-2000 show which I cannot remember at all, I think it had Sessler and a dude hosting)

Disembodied Voice and Drunk Link > Mr. Sark any day.
  • IanC14IanC14 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Icyjoe14;3236065 said:
    This may be mainly true but in the end there are many non-pop songs that really make the setlist stand out from say, Band Hero.
    Haha, they really said that? Someone must of got the game mixed up with Band Hero (which i have got i have to say, and im quite enjoying...) since that has a fair few definite pop songs in it (Wannabe by the Spice Girls anyone? Okay its cool that the characters "act out" the song... but it really doesn't fit with the game IMO)
  • edited November 2009
    Doc_SoCal;3236128 said:
    Well, there are more reviewers and reviews every year and every year they mean less.

Just like everyone with a blog things themselves a "journalist"... Everyone with a video game console and access to a server considers themself a "reviewer"...

Grains of salt are more critical than ever.

So true.
  • DiabloNeonXDiabloNeonX Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Sargehalo51;3241314 said:
    While I agree that X-Play's reviews don't matter much to me, I take exception to your "360 fanboy assclowns" comment. There was no need for you to insult those who own and love their 360s. Just a real jerk comment! :mad:
    I'm not insulting 360 owners. Just the 360 fanboy assclowns on X-Play. Try re-reading my post.

I can't listen to a single thing they say on that show and take it with a single ounce of credibility. Every console has their strengths and weaknesses, but if you listen to those idiots on X-Play prattle on...you could have a game that turned your 360 into a big steaming dog turd, and those X-Play would sell it as the greatest thing ever.

So, as I stated before. I don't bash 360 owners (despite my hatred for all things Microsoft, and starting yet another console war really isn't necessary), just the fanboy idiots on X-Play.
  • ImAnAutobotImAnAutobot Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    DiabloNeonX;3241029 said:

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about them?
  • BillyBongThortonBillyBongThorton Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    monkeyfish;3236340 said:

...It didn't help that Morgan Webb stopped wearing low-cut shirts and short skirts. :D
    She's a fugly dog, I wouldnt touch her with a 10 ft pole, unless that pole was attached to me, and then I'd have to double-bag her.
  • deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    monkeyfish;3236340 said:
    X-Play lost its significance years ago. I used to love that show, but it all went downhill. The quality, the humor, the fact-checking. Now it's mostly a hanger-on used to promote Human Wrecking Balls and Ninja Warrior.

That whole channel went down hill...the day they cut 75% of the programming years ago was the last day I stopped watching the channel...

BTW, Morgan Webb is hot (especially in person, met her at the first Final Fantasy concert at the Disney concert hall), but that's about it with her. The "sarcasm" just falls flat. Trying to be funny and then failing miserably. Reminds me of comics in comedy clubs that just bomb.
    edited November 2009
    jeccaneko;3236555 said:
    lulz. This was made for little kids. Super Easy is EXACTLY the same as Easy charting wise. It just makes it so you don't have to sing on pitch for vocals (it's counted as all talkies), no need to use fret buttons on guitar/bass, and on drums it automatically does the kick pedal plus you can hit whatever.
    Did they say this about Guitar Hero World Tour and 5? Cuz if memory serves me correctly there is a mode like that in those games, right? If so, they should be saying that about those games too...
    edited November 2009
    acondon747;3242385 said:

I remember them rating one of my favorite games at the time with like a 2/5 then they rate a terrible game with a ton of glitches a 5/5, yep they don't get paid to rate games higher.
    I remember when it was known as GamespotTV and Lauren Fielder was part-time co-host...she was cool...
    edited November 2009
    monkeyfish;3242408 said:
    Um, only Adam Sessler hosted Extended Play. It took a few episodes of X-Play before Morgan Von Webb joined the family, and for a few years it was an awesome show. (Edit: unless you're talking about the pre-2000 show which I cannot remember at all, I think it had Sessler and a dude hosting)

Disembodied Voice and Drunk Link > Mr. Sark any day.
    I think you might be referring to Electric Playground and Judgement Day with Victor Lucas and Tommy "TRRRROOOOOOOONNNN!!!" Tallarico...
  • BillyBongThortonBillyBongThorton Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    deathmonkey;3244068 said:

BTW, Morgan Webb is hot (especially in person)
    You must not see many truly hot women, cause shes barley a 6, her face is so fugly, and her body isnt turning any heads in my town, and Im from the midwest. Her delivery of her material whether jokes or not is pathetic, and makes me want to puke when she talks. If left on mute I mite be able to tolerate her, but seriously she is far from being hot, or even cute for that matter. There are WAY hotter gamer chics out there with WAY more knowledge of games.

Eyecandy she is not!
    edited November 2009
    deathmonkey;3244099 said:
    I think you might be referring to Electric Playground and Judgement Day with Victor Lucas and Tommy "TRRRROOOOOOOONNNN!!!" Tallarico...
    No, but the other EP was an awesome show, too, if only because Tommy kept *****ing about footstep sound effects. There was a 90s X-Play, I was a smidge too young to really enjoy that kind of thing.

I'm gonna have to Youtube up some Special Agent Bob and Secret Agent Steve now...
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Oh, for crying out loud. We're throwing tantrums over minor quibbles with even-handed AND POSITIVE reviews now?
    edited November 2009
    BillyBongThorton;3244104 said:
    You must not see many truly hot women, cause shes barley a 6, her face is so fugly, and her body isnt turning any heads in my town, and Im from the midwest. Her delivery of her material whether jokes or not is pathetic, and makes me want to puke when she talks. If left on mute I mite be able to tolerate her, but seriously she is far from being hot, or even cute for that matter. There are WAY hotter gamer chics out there with WAY more knowledge of games.

Eyecandy she is not!
    You're right, I forgot that what I said about her is an opinion and what you said is absolute fact...
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    This type of 'fact-check' by the OP will certainly qualify him to make fact-checks for abcnews.com. Mixing opinions with facts in 'fact-checks' are always fun and entertaining...

;)