Vocaloid Authors

RakunyaRakunya Unsigned
I belong to a community of current and prospective Vocaloid authors. For those of you who are unaware, Vocaloid is a voice synthesis program, quite popular in Japan, with more of an underground following over here. We frequently use it in instances where:
1) We are male but need a female singer (and vice versa, since I'm using "we" to mean "the community")
2) We aren't decent singers ourselves
3) As pretentious artists, we feel their voices fit the songs better than ours (yes, I'm poking a little fun at all us artists on here)

Thus far, I've seen nothing suggesting that Vocaloid songs could not go up, so long as we own the rights to the master tracks and such, but I'm wondering how to credit the songs. Traditionally, for solo artists who use Vocaloids, we credit it as ARTIST featuring VOCALOID NAME, i.e., Rakunya feat. Sonika or Koda-P feat. Miriam and Lola.

If I've missed anything saying they aren't allowed, please let me know. I'm curious as well as to whether we would credit them as they are above or simply with our artist name.

Comments

• SephiminkSephimink Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I know very little about this, so I can't answer your question directly (although I would think that if these voices are entirely synthetic and used in an original song that a "featuring" would be unnecessary), but I will just point out that as of right now, lyrics not spoken in English, French, Spanish or German will fail review.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    i'm pretty sure there are some english-speaking vocaloid packs out there, but i could be wrong as i've never given one a whirl.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    I think that might depend on what Vocaloid's terms of use are. If they allow you to freely use them for whatever you'd like (including potentially money-making situations), then I guess you'd be all right. The character/voice names might also be copyrighted in a way that would prevent you from using them here. So I'd look into that on their side.
  • RakunyaRakunya Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    There are English Vocaloids, and one of the Japanese ones has an English voice bank as well. With work, the others can do English, too, but its tricky and unnatural. But thanks for the tip about avoiding Japanese for now. I'll hold off on that till later.
    And the Vocaloids come with excellent rights for the user, to include money-making situations, though I'll need to double check on the English ones since they are technically a different company.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    My guitar came with a terms of service agreement where I have to pay the manufacturer 10% of all my earnings for songs in which it appears. I think I got screwed.
  • MrOwn1MrOwn1 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    ethicalpaul;3240487 said:
    My guitar came with a terms of service agreement where I have to pay the manufacturer 10% of all my earnings for songs in which it appears. I think I got screwed.
    I dare say, my friend.......

YOU GOT SCREWED HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • halkunhalkun Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Oh a Vocaloid thread...
    Actually, I'm working as a consultant for a English-speaking Vocaloid company. To tell you the truth, we are very interested in bringing them over as a tool for RBN.

The voice data for your product is royalty-free. You can use it like any other instrument. There exist both English and Japanese Vocaloids and there is one that can do both! Be careful, programming them is a bit of a daunting task, but very rewarding.

If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here if you want. I would love to know of there are any Vocaloid users here and would like to help to build a community. I'll be around.

== Ninja Edit ==

For those not on the know, this is an example of a Vocaloid song, ""Shining Ray" by Hatsune Miku. The voice is 100% synthesized by a computer. Pretty cool, huh?
  • Sinshi666Sinshi666 Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    I would crap my pants if any song by Machigerita went on rockband either through RBN or regular DLC. I personally don't want the songs I would be used to hearing on my vocaloid playlist become butchered by English. Any vocaloid song that came out on rock band too me would be an instant buy regardless of what it was though.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Since this has been randomly bumped regardless, I'll bring up that Japanese has been added as a supported language, so that barrier is down.

As for crediting, it may be best to look at them like any other instrument, so crediting would probably be unnecessary. And like Luigi said, the names may even be trademarked, so you might actually be in better shape legally acting like you didn't use a Vocaloid at all. I'm no lawyer, but I think you could pull it off.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Nice necroposting y'all.
  • Sinshi666Sinshi666 Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    I like bringing things back from the dead XD
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Sinshi666;4389578 said:
    I like bringing things back from the dead XD

Start working on Morrison. I need a new Doors album.