Dry Vocals

GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
edited November 2009 in The Rock Band Network
In Magma it asks for the dry vocals file... What is it? I have no clue so yea...

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    GeneralGilliam;3237636 said:
    In Magma it asks for the dry vocals file... What is it? I have no clue so yea...
    A dry vocals file is a vocals-only track with no effects applied (reverb, delay, echo, etc.). This is the file that Magma uses to create the lip-sync animations for the vocalist.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Oh, okay. Thanks a bunch.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited November 2009
    It's also used to double check pitches and match them to midi notes to make sure that players don't get penalized for singing what they hear if the midi notes don't exactly match perfectly.

If you don't have one you can more than likely record one yourself though.
    edited November 2009
    All I have is a plain Vocals file, with the vocals on it. We didn't use any special effects when recording it, so would I just copy that and use it for both?
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    You probably won't be able to copy it, but you can render it because it has to be 16kb sample rate and mono.
    edited November 2009
    Can you please nubify that a bit :)
    edited November 2009
    OK, which part didn't you understand?

Consult the Reaper docs for the definition of "render"
    Consult google for the definition of "digital audio sample rate"
    Consult any kid walking down the street for "mono"

The reason I said you won't be able to copy it is because your vocal track is likely not 16kb [EDIT: 16kHz!!] and maybe not mono. The dry vocal track must be 16kb [EDIT: 16kHz!!] and mono as told in the RBN docs.

With nothing but best wishes in mind, I would suggest that without these basic concepts you are going to have a hell of a hard time.
    edited November 2009
    what I didn't get is

1. How I can check if my file has a 16kb sample rate and mono
    2. How I can change it if it is not
    3. do they BOTH need to be like that? if not please specify which one has to be.
    edited November 2009
    You need to learn a lot more about digital audio editing which is far beyond the ability of this forum to provide you. I wish you the best, but if I answer these three questions, you'll have nine more.

Your third question is answered by the RBN docs which as I think I have said before, you must read multiple times to start to internalize all the different things you need to know. Based on some of your questions, it's probably hard to follow the RBN docs because you are missing the basics.

None of this is a rude judgement, and I do not view you with scorn or any negative opinion, but the simple fact of it is that you do not currently have enough base knowledge to be successful.

Do a lot of reading and working with digital audio. The tools are now readily available and cheap, but that doesn't mean it's not a complicated subject.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited November 2009
    16kHz, not 16kb.

(Sorry, had to. :p)
    edited November 2009
    GAK I hate that! Thanks trg :)
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    16khz AND 16-bit depth ... I learned this the hard way,By raging out over magma giving me errors.This only applies to the dry vocal,Game vocal can be whatever it was recorded as.

Best solution,Load up the vocal file into reaper,Goto 'File , Render' on sample rate choose 16,000khz , Choose 'mono' insted of stereo , go down to you find bit depth and change that to 16-bit.

Save and use as your dry vox file.

This is a clear cut as I could make it.
    edited November 2009
    wesjett08;3240118 said:
    16khz AND 16-bit depth ... I learned this the hard way,By raging out over magma giving me errors.This only applies to the dry vocal,Game vocal can be whatever it was recorded as.

Best solution,Load up the vocal file into reaper,Goto 'File , Render' on sample rate choose 16,000khz , Choose 'mono' insted of stereo , go down to you find bit depth and change that to 16-bit.

Save and use as your dry vox file.

This is a clear cut as I could make it.

Thanks man, I love step-by-step instructions :D
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    No problem,Good luck dude.