To whoever somehow stole an export code from a brand new wrapped up game, I hate you

SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Quite frankly, this is more than likely going to be my first thread that gets locked, but I don't care, I need to rant.

So, I buy Lego Rock Band at launch, look at the export code (It was oh so useless in my 480 MSP account).
A week later, I've played enough of the game to excuse exporting (beat the story and such), and finally bought more MSP today.

Go to export.... Big red letters; "That game code has already been redeemed."
WTF. I'm sorry, and I know it could be a bug in the system, but I'm MAD right now. Especially because I'm a SINGLE DAY ABOVE SEVEN DAYS, and can't get a new one from GameStop for a new code that isn't used. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind needing to swap discs occasionally, but I've wanted these songs in my RB2 ever since I've seen the setlist confirmed.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3241585 said:
    Actually I already contacted the support email it gives on the export site itself, and quite frankly I'm starting to calm down. But that really got me mad.
    I could cetainly see that being a HUGE buzzkill indeed and it sending the urge to kill right through the roof.

Serenity now. :)

HMXThrasher just posted that new support info today so it might come in handy if you dont get a response right away from the other one.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Walterrrr;3241594 said:
    It's possible that:
    - code was printed twice by accident
    - code is the one used as example on the site
    - someone guessed your code and redeemed it for you

I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you! I didn't think it would happen, but I guess anything is possible.
    The second one is out (From the very first digit it's not my code), but with the amount of rentnripperz I wouldn't doubt someone "Got a lucky guess".
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Some of those trade in places have their own shrink-wrappers, btw. Which might be how it got out then back into a wrapping.
    edited November 2009
    XacharyCross;3241612 said:
    Some of those trade in places have their own shrink-wrappers, btw. Which might be how it got out then back into a wrapping.
    Thing is, though, who manages to get that game into the trade in place at 10:30 AM launch day?
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3241618 said:
    Thing is, though, who manages to get that game into the trade in place at 10:30 AM launch day?
    The clerk the night before, or in at 830 that morning.

I've known a few folks that worked at EB (which is Gamestop's canadian presence), and the ones that weren't that unethical, sure had lots of stories about ones that were.

If you raise enough noise and add some random threats about making bad publicity the the manager or even farther up the ladder, they'll probably waive the time limit.
    edited November 2009
    XacharyCross;3241646 said:
    The clerk the night before, or in at 830 that morning.

I've known a few folks that worked at EB (which is Gamestop's canadian presence), and the ones that weren't that unethical, sure had lots of stories about ones that were.

If you raise enough noise and add some random threats about making bad publicity the the manager or even farther up the ladder, they'll probably waive the time limit.
    According to a phone call to GameStop, if they have another copy they'll give it, and it happens all the time, a LOT (which is expected).
    Doc_SoCal;3241576 said:
    (410) 568-3680
    Also, through ten other customer service people, I got sent to that number... and their offices are closed.
  • edited November 2009
    XacharyCross;3241612 said:
    Yeah, this is a dirty secret I've seen prominently in video game retailer shops. I've even watched one of them doing it right at the counter, it's easier than you'd think. It was little more than a celophane sleeve and a hair dryer.

I feel for yah. :(
  • A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited November 2009
    It makes me sad that it happened to an active member of these forums.

I mean, that should be the LAST person who deserves it, no?...
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Your story is a bummer. I'd go with the raising h377 part.
  • Flame95Flame95 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I imagine that someone just kept typing random numbers until they got it, which happened to be yours. Anyway, I hope HMX can sort you out a new one.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2009
    redoing the shrink wrap is easy

the Gamestop I worked at had a machine right in the back to do it, it takes maybe 30 seconds

I used to use them to make used game/Game Informer bundles
  • BullseyeBullseye Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Got burned on a "brand new" and "never opened" copy of the AC/DC Live track pack. It smarted when I entered that code and got the red letters of denial. It eventually got worked out, but man I was ticked.
  • whalercaneswhalercanes Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure there was some game store employee around here last week openly saying he was going to do this. What a douche.
  • VengerVenger Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    whalercanes;3243218 said:
    I'm pretty sure there was some game store employee around here last week openly saying he was going to do this. What a douche.
    Anyone that does this needs a kick in the face and I'd gladly apply.
  • deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    kingtonyx;3242511 said:
    redoing the shrink wrap is easy

the Gamestop I worked at had a machine right in the back to do it, it takes maybe 30 seconds

I used to use them to make used game/Game Informer bundles
    Redoing the shrink may be easy, but it would be nothing like the factory wrap which isn't even really shrinkwrap, it's more or less like, well, just wrap. Although you shouldn't have to (you ARE going in to a store to buy a brand new copy of a game after all, expecting to get all the goodies inside the box), I always check the packaging before I walk out of the store...
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited November 2009
    A New Pyro Fool;3242351 said:
    It makes me sad that it happened to an active member of these forums.

I mean, that should be the LAST person who deserves it, no?...
    At least it's probably easier to get help than someone that doesn't come to the forums. Also this whole situation seems to have caused quite the trouble overall (not just here,I don't know what other people are doing that are having problems to get them solved) so maybe it will make HMX aware it might be good to come up with a better idea for future instances.
    edited November 2009
    Rock_Starman;3244537 said:
    At least it's probably easier to get help than someone that doesn't come to the forums. Also this whole situation seems to have caused quite the trouble overall (not just here,I don't know what other people are doing that are having problems to get them solved) so maybe it will make HMX aware it might be good to come up with a better idea for future instances.
    Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier with the export system this game has, because of the amount of rentnripperz it screwed over. With that being said I'm not so happy I got the misfourtune to be the one to fall prey to a flaw.
  • Icarus1991Icarus1991 Banned
    edited November 2009
    That stinks, good luck. I bet HMX will make it right for you, they're a great company like that.

unrelated

I'm kind of hoping I can get Activision to give me a SH / WT import code since I bought those games on a different console. Really no reason they shouldn't...
    edited November 2009
    Icarus1991;3244683 said:
    That stinks, good luck. I bet HMX will make it right for you, they're a great company like that.

unrelated

I'm kind of hoping I can get Activision to give me a SH / WT import code since I bought those games on a different console. Really no reason they shouldn't...
    continuing unrelated-ness
    If it worked that way I would've kept my WT on Wii, but it didn't work that way. I managed to snag a cheap used copy with an intact code just before the game's launch that worked fine for me.
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    When buying stuff like this, it's wise to buy the game at place that hires people that don't care about games.

But then again, I guess that could apply to GameStop too. Hmm.
    edited November 2009
    Also, there is no support number that actually works. EA led me to HMX, and then they switched me over to Warner... which does not have the ability to get LRB support.
    Makes me wish there was some way to manage to get a second code or something.
    I was a little tempted to "wild guess" a code, but two wrongs don't make a right.
    Did this even happen to anyone else here?
  • nightsx2nightsx2 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Someone should be able to figure out who used your code. On XBox, the purchase logs the user's account, as well as the XBox's ID number. I'm not sure who you could go to, to report the issue though.
    edited November 2009
    Well, I got things sorted out when Thrasher asked for my code. I PM'd that over and got the code I should've gotten to put in for the export pack, and it worked! Kudos to Harmonix. That really brightened up the Friday. :D

EDIT: As a side note, this doesn't necessarily mean that all you need to do is send your export code to Thrasher in a PM to get it to work, I just got lucky.
  • edited November 2009
    Woohoo.

On another note, thanks to your feedback in this thread the WBIE support number should now have Lego RB as an option when you call in. If anyone else finds themselves having issues give those folks a shout and they'll be able to get you sorted right away.
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    What is the support # of which Thrasher speaks? As I've stated in other threads, I'm stuck trying to put my code into the website (stage 1 of the whole process), and I'm getting a little impatient, and I'd love to have a live peson to talk to to get this sorted out. I want nothing more than to do the Bon Jovi and Tom Petty challenges tonight on RB2 that wll show up as soon as I can do the export
  • edited November 2009
    Check out www.legorockbandgame.com/support. There you'll find both of the following contacts:
    E-mail us at: [email]legorockband_support@aqinc.com[/email]

Call us at: (410) 568-3680

EMEA information is listed on that site as well.
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I thought I'd post quick on calling the number listed above to share my experience:

Operator was very friendly and helpful.

After trying some things with my internet settings, I still couldn't get the web page to accept my code, so he sent me an email. I will have to respond to this email with an image or photo of my export code card that came with the game, and a copy of my receipt, and thier technical support will get it fixed next week (I didn't call until friday afternoon, and wont be sending the images until saturday, so the delay seems reasonable). I'll post again with any further experiences I have, hopefully ending with me jamming out to the LRB setlist in my RB2 game!
    edited November 2009
    I'm glad to see that the support was worked out now then!
    At least my phoning hell led to someone else having a quick access.
    (I went from GameStop, to Xbox, to EA, to (I think) HMX, and then to WB... Only for there to be no LRB)
  • MetalLickaMetalLicka Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I wish I could PM my code to a developer, I tried the email and the phone number and so far nothing has been done to fix my problem.

EDIT: Someone in another thread suggested putting my code in on the Firefox browser and it worked irst try :) So if anyone is still having trouble try it on Firefox