Band Hero: 16,224

Total
Lego Rock Band: 45884
Band Hero: 63587

Pretty bad sales for both

Comments

• wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I imagine it would be disappearing a lot slower if Activision didn't vomit all over it continually.

Yes, I know, you're going to chime in about how some people like both and whatnot, but having +10 games a year is hurting the genre, especially when those games crib 50% of their setlist off Rock Band's lists, and insist on copious amounts of pack-ins.
  • GryffindorGryffindor Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    There's definitely oversaturation in the market in regards to music based games but couldn't the same thing be said about FPS's?

Both of my kids have said that GH & RB are so 2007.:(

The only game that I'm anxiously awaiting to be released is Bioshock 2.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2009
    Shorty11857;3245803 said:
    Well Modern Warfare 2 sold 7 million in one day, so it's not like there's no money to buy games out there. I think the music genre is slowly disappearing sadly...
    MW2 is considerably different though. It’s an anticipated sequel 2 years in the making. Of course it’s going to sell.
  • HauntingYourKidsHauntingYourKids Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Kinda interesting how Band Hero Wii outsold everything by quite a margin. I guess it goes to show how youth oriented both really are.
  • jaygradyjaygrady Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Gryffindor;3245863 said:
    There's definitely oversaturation in the market in regards to music based games but couldn't the same thing be said about FPS's?

Both of my kids have said that GH & RB are so 2007.:(

The only game that I'm anxiously awaiting to be released is Bioshock 2.
    I also am waiting for Bioshock 2!
    While your kids may think that, I'm still buying and still playing.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2009
    Let's not forget BH goes for the full "tween" crowd, so for that market, which has been generally passed over by both GH and RB, it's going to sell.
  • GodKilla666GodKilla666 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I still love seeing Taylor Swift in those commercials. She can join my band any day!
  • nightsx2nightsx2 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    LOL - Taylor Swift looks great in Band Hero. Gwen Stefani, on the other hand, looks horrid. But then again...maybe that's just how she looks. But I'm not surprised she's suing Activision ;)
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited November 2009
    well modern warfare 2 made 310 million bucks in 24 hours, so that should help out for this month, before they start moaning again next month that they only made 200 million bucks, sheesh, how much money is enough?
  • dragonflyrdragonflyr Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    BH has the marketing and better set list and caters to it's core audience a little better (imo, of course).

Lego seems to be "straddling" a variety of potential buyers ... little kids, adults, teens. It tries to cover a lot of ground.

BH seems to be targeted straight to a top40 crowd. It is a little more focused.

I'm not trashing LRB at all ... I just think it tries to cover too many bases.
  • ryanco64ryanco64 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    L:RB failed on the Wii when they couldn't play their DLC nor export.
    Lily_mu actually wants a 360 now because of that. O_O
  • obladerekobladerek Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Shorty11857;3245771 said:
    From Vgchartz North American Sales are

Total
    Lego Rock Band: 45884
    Band Hero: 63587

Pretty bad sales for both
    I looked up the sales numbers on vgchartz from the first week of TB:RB & GH5 and these are embarrassingly low. I wouldn't expect them to be nearly as high but 10x-15x lower is a shock!

Total (week 1)
    The Beatles Rock Band: 706,913
    Guitar Hero 5: 581,476
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Shorty11857;3245803 said:
    Well Modern Warfare 2 sold 7 million in one day, so it's not like there's no money to buy games out there.
    There's money for games, there's just no money for games as frequently as Activision pumps them out.

Think about it...

Guitar Hero Metallica
    Guitar Hero Smash Hits
    Guitar Hero 5
    DJ Hero
    Band Hero
    Guitar Hero Van Halen

...That's all this year, and those last four and all within a THREE MONTH PERIOD.

And all of those games are full $60 titles (with DJ Hero checking in at nearly double that).
  • ksama1ksama1 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    A New Pyro Fool;3245778 said:
    Activision, IMO, has lost out more on profit because they must've spent quite a lot of money to advertise Band Hero on all major network stations while Lego: Rock Band received virtually no advertisements at all.
    Actually they lost out on the 360 and ps3 because they were stupidly not putting the new drums in the kit. They only let the Wii get the new drums unless you bought the European version. It would have been a complete blow out had they let all platforms get the new drums. I didnt buy band hero specifically for that reason. When and if they release an updated kit with the newer drums on the 360 I will get it.
  • jasonrosenbaumjasonrosenbaum Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I still enjoy the game, so I'm happy. LRB didn't really have any advertisements to speak of, so it's not surprising that the sales are low.
    edited November 2009
    ksama1;3246379 said:
    It would have been a complete blow out had they let all platforms get the new drums.
    Is there anything actually "new" about the drums aside from "The cymbals are round instead of triangles?"
  • drgnrbrn316drgnrbrn316 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    On the bright side, it seems to be getting some advertising now, on a variety of stations. Not sure why they'd wait for two weeks after the release, but hey, it's there now.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3246422 said:
    Is there anything actually "new" about the drums aside from "The cymbals are round instead of triangles?"
    A few things, but nothing major. There was a slight redesign of the drum pads, so they're a bit quieter and bouncier, and the controller box clips on and off the drum kit. That's about it though.
  • BullseyeBullseye Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Not too surprising. Both LRB and BH are both pretty much glorified track packs. And they are marketed towards such a small part of the market. I don't see tweens and younger being the main buyers of video games and the setlists on both are very much geared towards younger audiences. Activision has completely over saturated it's GH genre (to the point that they sacrificed GHVH as a freebie for buying GH5). And LRB is suffering from the September release of TB:RB, which is clearly the game of choice for the casual RB crowd. Well, the good news is this might prevent both companies from making more watered down (although BH is pretty much a full featured game, just a watered down setlist) music games.
  • MooTrainMooTrain Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Also not overly surprised. Most people I know who are into Rock Band didn't know about Lego Rock Band. When they saw the track list they were like - 'that's it?'

A number of things led to the low sales numbers - none of which are to be blamed on the "recession".

1. An oversaturation of music games available on the marketplace. Thanks to there being about 10 guitar hero / rock band releases this year, a few of them are bound to fail. It also means that savvy consumers realize they'll be able to get the games for cheaper - if they wait six months most of these games will be found on sale. It also reduces the desireability since there is definitely a 'been there done that' feel to it.

2. A bad time to release a game. If you're a hardcore gamer like me, you know that in November, each week at least one A+++ title is being released: Dragon Age, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Left for Dead 2, Assassin's Creed 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii... There's far too much to keep up with, so you look for reasons to wait on a title rather than jump in right away. I think LRB would have been wise to release in Q1 2010, since it's partially been lost in a sea of releases. On top of the swarm of games I want, I also have to put aside money for christmas gifts, which makes it impossible to buy most of the titles I'm interested in until after Christmas.

3. LRB is not amazing. Yes, it's very very good. There are some amazing moments when you play it (pretty much every specialized stage is awesome to play on - watching a video of the Ghostbusters stage is what sold me on the title). But there are some serious design oversights that a lot of people who did buy have legitimate gripes about. When you look at the track list - which is short in comparison to other mixed-band music games released in the past year (RB2, GH4&5, Band Hero) - it's just not that inspiring.

4. Lack of word of mouth. On other video game forums I visit, one of which has a thousand+ page post about Rock Band DLC, the Lego Rock Band thread is under 100 posts - and only a handful of gamers on that site purchased the game. The forum effect tends to sell titles - one of the top reasons people buy games, in my experience, is because they can share that experience with others.

5. Lack of Advertising. Probably related to #4.

6. Poorly reviewed. I can't believe we live in a world where 75% is considered a bad review - it's like 3 of 4 stars; that's what it would be if it was a movie - but in the video game industry, anything less than 90% is often considered a poor review by the general public (or raving lunatic fanboys), and a lot of games that meta in the 75% range end up being mostly ignored. Reviews do tend to drive sales to a degree.

At least things aren't as bad as Rock Revolution. I suspect Lego Rock Band will have a decent number of sales leading through the holiday season and not be a front-heavy sales game.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Bullseye;3246467 said:
    ). And LRB is suffering from the September release of TB:RB, which is clearly the game of choice for the casual RB crowd. .
    Rockband is not a "kids" game even though that is the market they were going after with LRB which is why the sales aren't very good. On the other hand TBRB sales aren't where Harmonix wants them to be either. A classic rock station DJ recently said that TBRB will be LUCKY to break even by the end of the year. Even with upcoming DLC they won't be making money on TBRB by Jan 1st. Just how much did it cost to make TBRB? Was the license fee that HIGH? Did they underestimate how many people would buy TBRB? Not here to bash the Beatles but I find it very hard to believe that The Beatles were RB's 1st choice for a stand alone music game. I know of only 1 person (friend of a friend) that bought TBRB and I am told he hardly plays it now. Big picture- RB has only scratched the surface of bands (new or old) to be available for DLC/stand alone game and with new music always coming out the future is pretty bright even with the misses (LRB)....
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited November 2009
    A New Pyro Fool;3245778 said:
    Activision, IMO, has lost out more on profit because they must've spent quite a lot of money to advertise Band Hero on all major network stations while Lego: Rock Band received virtually no advertisements at all.
    I doubt it. Having played BH I would estimate development cost was fairly low. They had to pay the celeb guests and lisence the songs and that might've been pricy but it couldn't have cost much to make the actual game.
    edited November 2009
    Bullseye;3246467 said:
    Both LRB and BH are both pretty much glorified track packs...
    You...haven't actually played LEGO have you?
  • MooTrainMooTrain Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3247628 said:
    You...haven't actually played LEGO have you?
    Unfortunately, the 'glorified track pack' is a part of the perception of the general public when it comes to Lego Rock Band. The general public sees it as just another rock band game with lego skins tacked on. Additionally, anyone who has tried to play the game and found that 50% of their DLC does not work - who you personally have told to 'just put in Rock Band 2' - see this as pretty much that.

It goes back to the word of mouth point I have as #4 in my list above. Discussion about L:RB off of these forums is ... well - ranging from Quiet to Non-Existent.

For example: Over on gamingtrend, which is a pretty popular general console gaming forum
    http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=32754.40

Only about fifteen posts regarding the game since it was released - most of them negative, hitting up the same three tired points that are mentioned here. (Why is 50% of my DLC missing; Why are the Queen songs in the DLC not available to play; Can't delete songs from the export; The songlist is too small; The export costs more money?!?) There's definitely a community there that plays Rock Band (the thread about DLC news is 2,240 posts) but they most certainly don't have an interest in Lego Rock Band.

Sadly, gamers are fickle. Makes sense - there's only so much free time in the day. So why invest time in a less than stellar game? When you take options away from gamers, all you're doing is causing players to focus on the negatives, and it hurts the end product as a result.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2009
    Like I said, LEGO would be better (I assume, I mean I'm enjoying it?) but Band Hero would be the better seller.

Although I did expect better sales overall for both.
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Lego RB wasn't really advertised a lot, and if you tell someone it exists, they usually get the "HuH?" response that went with most of the early rumors on here.

Add in a low track count (though I'd say that's more that RB2 and the newer GH's have kind of overblown that thing, remember the first GH had what, 15 songs of which 14 were covers, or so) and it's gonna be more of an afterthought, especially with all the video game competition this time of year and even moreso, the general economic state and christmas pressure on folks budgets.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Quaszar;3246748 said:
    Not here to bash the Beatles but I find it very hard to believe that The Beatles were RB's 1st choice for a stand alone music game. I know of only 1 person (friend of a friend) that bought TBRB and I am told he hardly plays it now
    They must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel to get the most popular band in history, and as of September, the second best-selling artist of this decade. Who would want to buy a game based on them?
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Lets face these aren't first day games because they are supposed to be genre openers for new target audience and the instruments cost money causing them to be X-mas gifts. Especially lego, which had no or little advertisement and didn't even make it in the big electronic store adds like best buy.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to throw this out there: for a game that's supposed to expand the audience, they kind of shot themselves in the foot by not including instruments. As it is, the only way to play it is to already have the instruments, meaning you'd have to already be a fan of Rock Band before buying it.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2009
    XacharyCross;3248224 said:
    Yeah, Lego RB wasn't really advertised a lot, and if you tell someone it exists, they usually get the "HuH?" response that went with most of the early rumors on here.

Add in a low track count (though I'd say that's more that RB2 and the newer GH's have kind of overblown that thing, remember the first GH had what, 15 songs of which 14 were covers, or so) and it's gonna be more of an afterthought, especially with all the video game competition this time of year and even moreso, the general economic state and christmas pressure on folks budgets.
    Actually the first Guitar Hero had more songs than LEGO: RB has! It had 47 tracks, only 17 master tracks though but no one cared about that back then :p.