3 things we can do to make online play more fun

skysawskysaw Opening Act
edited November 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
This forum represents but a sliver of the Beatles Rockband community. For the most part, we are the super-devoted, nerdy Beatles fans, the geeky game-crazed rockers, the ones spending more time than average actually playing this game. Most of the players we encounter online are not. But that doesn't mean they can't help raise the experience for each of us, and we for them.

Here are three small things we all can do to make our online sessions more fun.

TALK
Most random sessions online for me seem to be with folks who don't have mics, or who have them on, but don't say a word. That's probably to many people's liking, but I think there are many of us who like a little conversation with other fans now and then. I always start a new online session with my mic on, and at least say "hi guys" when we start up. If no one responds, I'll take off the headset, but at least those who are shy about talking may come out of their shell and engage me. This may also encourage others to start hooking up the headsets.

ENCOURAGE DOWNLOADS
All it takes if for one member of your band to be missing Abbey Road, and none of the songs are playable for your session. 9 times out of 10 this is the case for me. The more people who download, the more content ALL of us get while online. When the songs are not available, I usually just offer something like "Hey, you guys should download Abbey Road. There are some great songs there, and they're really fun to play!"

SING SOMETIMES
It's all too familiar. Sitting in a room with two guitarists and a drummer and no vocalist. Sit for a couple of extra minutes just to make sure, then give up, and go on without. My suggestion is to pick up the mic and sing a few from time to time, even if it's not your favorite. If we all did this just a little bit, we'd all find full bands more easily whenever we played. Not to mention, singing is a lot of fun!

Comments

• ErniewanErniewan Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I also like to let whoever is picking the song choose between Guitar and Bass. Return the favor; don't be that jerk that always picks Guitar, even when the other person already chose it.

Also, if you're going to play Guitar on Medium, and you're playing with an experienced player, it'd be nice for you to switch to Bass on a higher difficulty (Hard or even Expert) so you both get the same optimal challenge.

Edit: I have a question about the talking. When can you hear the other people talking? Is the Wii not compatible or have I just not heard anyone?
  • LeoModestoLeoModesto Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. There is no word on the manuals or loading screens about chat on the Wii, and no sound comes out if I talk into the game's mic. No idea about WiiSpeak support either, so I guess you just can't talk at all? That's kinda sad.
  • skysawskysaw Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I wasn't aware of the Wii issues as I use the 360. Chat is built into the 360, so it's available in every online game.
  • hannie3000hannie3000 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Also, I'd like to ask everyone to keep the vocalist in mind when activating Beatlemania. Usually, I only have 1/4 of my bar filled while the others get a "unison bonus" and almost immediately activate.
    This is probably a minor issue, but I always feel so left out. :(
  • skysawskysaw Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    hannie3000;3247070 said:
    Also, I'd like to ask everyone to keep the vocalist in mind when activating Beatlemania. Usually, I only have 1/4 of my bar filled while the others get a "unison bonus" and almost immediately activate.
    This is probably a minor issue, but I always feel so left out. :(
    Noted, though I must say that when following an instrument chart I find it very difficult to pay attention to the vocal bar. I can just catch the other instruments' bars flashing out of my peripheral vision.
    edited November 2009
    skysaw;3247114 said:
    Noted, though I must say that when following an instrument chart I find it very difficult to pay attention to the vocal bar. I can just catch the other instruments' bars flashing out of my peripheral vision.
    Yeah, I understand. The vocal bar is just out of sight when you're playing guitar. I guess that's the biggest issue with this one.
    Oh well, I just wanted to put it out there. :D
  • auntyminxyauntyminxy Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Hello I am a newbie to TB:RB. Finding a few things confusing - maybe someone can explain.

Why can I sometimes hear people talking when I play online and sometimes not? Can they hear me? if so they don't seem to respond. I am using a PS3 and singstar mic's. Do I need to buy a special headset to be able to chat?

Secondly on what basis are band members placed in bands - it doesn't seem to be random. My sister and I wanted to get put together but it couldn't find a voclaist even when she was a free vocalist looking for a band.

Actually on that note.... anyone else have problems that the invite friends function doesn't work. I can play with strangers but when trying to play my sister if either of us accepts an invites from the other it says tries to join the session then says "can't connect to session"??? what can I do?

Lastly what on earth is DLC??? All other good advice for newbies gratefully received

• skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited November 2009
    auntyminxy;3251757 said:
    Hello I am a newbie to TB:RB. Finding a few things confusing - maybe someone can explain.

Why can I sometimes hear people talking when I play online and sometimes not? Can they hear me? if so they don't seem to respond. I am using a PS3 and singstar mic's. Do I need to buy a special headset to be able to chat?

Secondly on what basis are band members placed in bands - it doesn't seem to be random. My sister and I wanted to get put together but it couldn't find a voclaist even when she was a free vocalist looking for a band.

Actually on that note.... anyone else have problems that the invite friends function doesn't work. I can play with strangers but when trying to play my sister if either of us accepts an invites from the other it says tries to join the session then says "can't connect to session"??? what can I do?

Lastly what on earth is DLC??? All other good advice for newbies gratefully received

1. Not everybody talks online. Not everybody has a mic plugged in either, or a headset to use. You can use the regular mics to talk. While picking songs, it works just fine as a live mic. If you're the vocalist, it will auto-mute you during songs, and you can hold R2 (or R1, I forget, pretty sure it's R2 though) to transmit your voice chat. It's irritating if you're in the middle of singing because there's a delay of 1-3 seconds and just throws the other instruments off. If you're not the vocalist, the mic will function as live while songs are going and you don't need to hold R2.

2. If you're looking specifically for someone to join, you'll want to invite them. I'm not sure how the option to fill remaining slots works, but it's unlikely you're going to get the person you want by using that. You'll also want to invite and let them come in first before searching for randoms to fill the other slots just in case it finds someone before they accept the invite.

3. It's a common problem with the PS3, and is traceable to conflicts between security settings on your and your friend's routers. If one is overly secure, or if both are moderately secure, there are issues with joining. The best way to handle it, if you know your way around router configurations, is to place your PS3 in the DMZ setting. It removes all security from it and will no longer give you problems with joining or having people join. There's really no reason to have your PS3 secured anyway, if someone can hack one from their computer, they deserve a medal.

4. DLC is (D)own(L)oadable (C)ontent. Additional songs you can purchase through the music store. For The Beatles, the Abbey Road album has been released (Sgt. Pepper coming soon, this upcoming Thursday to be exact). If you have RB1 or RB2, there are over 800 additional songs you can purchase (these don't work with The Beatles, and The Beatles' content doesn't work with them either).
  • auntyminxyauntyminxy Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    skyttskytt you are awesome - thanks heaps :)
  • blkninja1961blkninja1961 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'm a PS3 and I play for fun.
  • edited November 2009
    Three things, in my opinion, can make things funner:

1. NO MAKE A SETLIST OPTION, JESUUUUS.
    2. No "wow I suck at this song so I'll piss everyone off and quit in the middle of the song" option. :p
    3. Take turns with the "I want the guitar"-but I want it too! thing.
  • JoyDivisionJoyDivision Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    blkninja1961;3263214 said:
    I'm a PS3 and I play for fun.
    Wow, I don't believe I've ever met a PS3 before:)
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    StrawberryFieldsForever;3263526 said:
    Three things, in my opinion, can make things funner:

1. NO MAKE A SETLIST OPTION, JESUUUUS.
    2. No "wow I suck at this song so I'll piss everyone off and quit in the middle of the song" option. :p
    YES! This is my BIGGEST pet peeve too - when someone bails halfway through a song, especially when it is a song that he or she chose! People that do this make me want to play solo (and stick a ballpoint pen in my eye).

Making a setlist - unless it's a couple of relatively short songs that go together, like the Reprise and A Day In The Life - is just selfish, man.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Had a group of 3 online and went to find a 4th. He joined and was selected to pick first song, so he started to make a setlist. We all quit and started again. Annoying option should not be there IMHO. Thankfully that only happened once.

With regards to the activating of Beatlemania, I just drum and the chart gives the option to activate but I am not sure how this relates to the singer. I see the lyrics at the top but not really looked at it close enough to see when singer can activate.

With PS3 online, I hardly ever hear anyone talk and I do often just say "Hi all!".
  • Explosion2Explosion2 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    JoyDivision;3268351 said:
    Wow, I don't believe I've ever met a PS3 before:)
    I keep one in my basement. :D
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    skysaw;3246469 said:

TALK
    Most random sessions online for me seem to be with folks who don't have mics, or who have them on, but don't say a word. That's probably to many people's liking, but I think there are many of us who like a little conversation with other fans now and then. I always start a new online session with my mic on, and at least say "hi guys" when we start up. If no one responds, I'll take off the headset, but at least those who are shy about talking may come out of their shell and engage me. This may also encourage others to start hooking up the headsets.
    I normally play drums. And the jack on my drum set doesnt work anymore. When I get a new drumset I will use my mic again.

When I play guitar, I play with nice big headphones on, making it impossible to have a mic.
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3268676 said:
    I normally play drums. And the jack on my drum set doesnt work anymore. When I get a new drumset I will use my mic again.
    There's a microphone jack on the drums?!?!?! On PS3?!?! Where? (not challenging the comment, just asking out of my own ignorance)

On a side note, I normally don't chat. I know I'm usually playing with people b/w the ages of 6-20 and when they hear an old fogey like me say anything, they normally give me the boot. :(:(:(:( So I just sit back and shut up.
    edited November 2009
    It's so annoying that the Beatlemania for the singer is always in inconvenient spots for the rest of the band. No fair.

And I usually try to talk online, but when I don't get a response I just figure they're either in a party or just don't have a headset.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Gigli78;3268712 said:
    There's a microphone jack on the drums?!?!?! On PS3?!?! Where? (not challenging the comment, just asking out of my own ignorance)

On a side note, I normally don't chat. I know I'm usually playing with people b/w the ages of 6-20 and when they hear an old fogey like me say anything, they normally give me the boot. :(:(:(:( So I just sit back and shut up.
    Its on the front of the part of the drums with the bottons. Right in the middle. Just follow it down around the "ledge". See picture
    550 x 629 - 26K
  • blkninja1961blkninja1961 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Gigli78;3268712 said:
    T......and when they hear an old fogey like me say anything, they normally give me the boot. :(:(:(:( So I just sit back and shut up.
    Old fogey?!?! Exactly, how old is an old fogey? :eek:

I bought my first Beatles album in '67/'68. So long ago, I can't exactly remember;)
    edited November 2009
    I'm 30 :) *

*I'm an old fogey, and I approved this message.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Ehfahq;3268804 said:
    Its on the front of the part of the drums with the bottons. Right in the middle. Just follow it down around the "ledge". See picture
    That's 360 only, and for a headset plug right? There shouldn't be a plug for PS3. If you want to use a mic with one, you either use the standard mic and stretch it all the way to your drum set, or use a headset, which uses bluetooth and doesn't need to be plugged in anywhere unless you're charging it.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2009
    skyttskytt;3269092 said:
    That's 360 only, and for a headset plug right? There shouldn't be a plug for PS3. If you want to use a mic with one, you either use the standard mic and stretch it all the way to your drum set, or use a headset, which uses bluetooth and doesn't need to be plugged in anywhere unless you're charging it.
    Ahh, that makes sense why he was never able to find it. Ive never seen a PS3 drum set.

Thanks for the info.