Why is "Suddenly I See" in L:RB?

FreezeRokkFreezeRokk Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
These are the lyrics from the chorus

"Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me"

I thought this was a family friendly game.

Comments

• captainsamuscaptainsamus Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I'm a little dissapointed that no one replied to OP with

"Why the hell does it mean so much to you?"
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    captainsamus;3250412 said:
    I'm a little dissapointed that no one replied to OP with

"Why the hell does it mean so much to you?"
    Now I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking of that. :(
  • mjlambert1mjlambert1 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250016 said:

This is what I wanna be

Did you complain when it wasn't censored on family friendly radio?
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    instantdeath999;3250025 said:
    I'd say because most kids know what hell is, since we spend time scaring them with it...
    I loled.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    OMG! Such an obscene word, mentioning a figurative concept of punishment for evil in Christianity! The HEATHENS!

People (Americans especially) need to stop being such prudes about EVERYTHING.
  • AviStettoAviStetto Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250016 said:

This is what I wanna be

I agree that this song whould not have been included in the game. I put it right alongside Bad Reputation, which is included in Band Hero, as songs that don't fit a family friendly E-10 (10-year old - elementary school age) game.
    It is a song that will cause me to change the radio station when it comes on. It will also cause me to cancel a Mystery Setlist if it comes up while playing with the kids. I also find it annoying that it is one of the most common background songs that plays in the Rock Den.

Overall, I find the set list to be okay. That is the one song that bugs me the most.

I wish there were some way to blackball (or delete) specific songs.
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    AviStetto;3250778 said:
    I agree that this song whould not have been included in the game. I put it right alongside Bad Reputation, which is included in Band Hero, as songs that don't fit a family friendly E-10 (10-year old - elementary school age) game.
    Hey, it could be Bad Reputation (Live)
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2009
    "Suddenly I See" is one of the most fun songs in the game imo
  • FreezeRokkFreezeRokk Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    mjlambert1;3250549 said:
    I'd never heard the song before. So no.

The only reason I even brought this up because of the differences in on-disc and DLC censoring.
    kingtonyx;3250915 said:
    "Suddenly I See" is one of the most fun songs in the game imo
    Thank you for not saying "funnest."
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Better question: when are people going to stop making these threads?
    edited November 2009
    jeccaneko;3251074 said:
    Exactly. It's not like we can change it, and we're certainly not going to have sympathy on you or commiserate with you as you shelter your children from such a harmless thing for such a stupid reason, but, eh, to each his own.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Because this song was a huge pop hit that lots of people both young and old alike seem to enjoy?
  • kate_childerskate_childers Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    It's on there because she is AWESOME. quit complaining.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250016 said:

This is what I wanna be

why the hell am i here - correct
    you're going to hell - not correct
    edited November 2009
    Rocket2Russia;3251153 said:

[QUOTE=jeccaneko;3251074]Better question: when are people going to stop making these threads?
    Exactly. It's not like we can change it, and we're certainly not going to have sympathy on you or commiserate with you as you shelter your children from such a harmless thing for such a stupid reason, but, eh, to each his own.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a pretty dumb question. People are going to keep making these threads because 1. it doesn't make sense that a family friendly game would have something like this in its lyrics. 2. There are other songs that were blocked out with even less than that. And as long as people notice these discrepancies, more threads will be made.

Also, I don't have children, and sympathy and commiserate mean the same thing, so you don't need to use both of them.
    kate_childers;3251277 said:
    It's on there because she is AWESOME. quit complaining.
    Awesomeness aside, one of the criteria of the songs passing the "filter" is no expletives, which I believe this song fails. Quit making bad excuses.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure none of the people complaining about this actually have kids.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3251397 said:
    Awesomeness aside, one of the criteria of the songs passing the "filter" is no expletives, which I believe this song fails. Quit making bad excuses.
    We honestly don't know anything about the filter's criteria beyond the following:

Family Friendly

“Family Friendly” content may be suitable for players of all ages. These tracks may contain the infrequent use of mild language.
    From here: http://www.rockband.com/song-ratings

I would say that this song falls into the "mild language" category. It pushes the border a little bit, but we don't really know where they draw the line.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Also, the rating on the back cover mentions "mild lyrics," and quoth the ESRB's web site:
    the ESRB said:
    During some cutscenes, Lego characters engage in not so civil behavior: a hotel room is trashed; a character belches loudly into a microphone; and a dinosaur destroys an outhouse, leaving a solitary figure stranded on a toilet. Song lyrics occasionally reference violence (e.g., "Somebody's gonna die . . . My ex will start a fight"), use the expletive "hell," and seemingly allude to substance abuse (e.g., "Brain fried tonight through misuse . . . Without these pills you're let loose . . . Is it a monster?")
  • SirRobin1tothe3SirRobin1tothe3 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    XD @ "seemingly allude"

I have no problem with Suddenly I See but Monster has me scratching my head to no end.
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250016 said:

This is what I wanna be

With regards to these continual threads, here's my family friendly answer.

FECK OFF.
  • HauntingYourKidsHauntingYourKids Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Because TT Games is a British game developer and "Suddenly I See" is KT Tunstall's biggest UK hit.

...oh, it the whole "hell" thing, right. Um... you know, "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" is Tunstall's 4th biggest UK hit, so... yeah, I'm going nowhere with these ellipses.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited November 2009
    jeccaneko;3251074 said:
    My thoughts exactly. I honestly hope no one is losing sleep over the inclusion of certain songs in Lego Rock Band.

And if you are, just don't buy it and save your family from hearing a minor cuss word.
  • Shorty11857Shorty11857 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Because TT Games are British and most British people don't care about the use of the word hell. It's one of the most popular songs of the last few years, it got tonnes of radio play and pretty much every kid knows it so who cares? It's an awesome song
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3251397 said:
    That's actually a pretty dumb question. People are going to keep making these threads because 1. it doesn't make sense that a family friendly game would have something like this in its lyrics. 2. There are other songs that were blocked out with even less than that. And as long as people notice these discrepancies, more threads will be made.

Also, I don't have children, and sympathy and commiserate mean the same thing, so you don't need to use both of them.
    It interests me that you choose to argue over semantics instead of simply arguing a point. Does it make you feel good when you go off on stupid tangents to make yourself look superior in some way?

And it's a completely valid question. Why are people so concerned with it? You are not required to have your children say the word to parents [maybe have them say HECK, ever though of that?], and if you don't have kids, then you're just being a troll for the sake of being a troll by posting this thread.

By posting a thread on this subject you ask for debate on the subject and discussion, but it seems to me that the point of your post is to question the morals or standards of HMX by complaining to other posters who have no power to change it, and most of us will not sit here and say "Oh, you're right. How dare these heathens use a minor curse word that is barely a curse word to begin with in this game? In the future they shouldn't try to make a family-friendly game, because they obviously suck at it."

So stop *****ing about it. If you care so much, PM a HMX team member/lodge a complaint. See how far that gets you. I wish you luck.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Cliphead;3251413 said:
    I'm pretty sure none of the people complaining about this actually have kids.
    It's actually funny. Those who complain about songs IN the game typically appear to be those without kids...while those with kids actually complain about the filter being too rigid.
    FreezeRokk;3251397 said:
    Actually the "filter" has no defined rules. At all.
  • JdurgitJdurgit Banned
    edited November 2009
    Kind of funny, but I can't recall "Hell" being an expletive. Christ, you hear it used on Nickelodeon and Disney channel on occassion! It's also not a "Christian only" reference. Look across all religions, and they all reference "hell". Frankly, in sects where "hell" would still be considered an expletive, the act of playing videogames would be "wrong and immoral" so it's a moot point.
    edited November 2009
    Rocket2Russia;3252482 said:
    It interests me that you choose to argue over semantics instead of simply arguing a point. Does it make you feel good when you go off on stupid tangents to make yourself look superior in some way?
    You'd be completely right, except I did argue my point.

And it's a completely valid question. Why are people so concerned with it? You are not required to have your children say the word to parents [maybe have them say HECK, ever though of that?], and if you don't have kids, then you're just being a troll for the sake of being a troll by posting this thread.
    And I already explained this part.

By posting a thread on this subject you ask for debate on the subject and discussion, but it seems to me that the point of your post is to question the morals or standards of HMX by complaining to other posters who have no power to change it, and most of us will not sit here and say "Oh, you're right. How dare these heathens use a minor curse word that is barely a curse word to begin with in this game? In the future they shouldn't try to make a family-friendly game, because they obviously suck at it."

So stop *****ing about it. If you care so much, PM a HMX team member/lodge a complaint. See how far that gets you. I wish you luck.
    Lol. Just curious, but by me questioning the morals and standards of HMX, doesn't that bring up debate and discussion? Kind of like we're doing now. It's pretty obvious what the point of my thread was, I believe I said it in the OP, and you just said it yourself.

I never suggested that anyone should change anything, all I was doing was pointing out a flaw in this family friendly game, and in some of my other posts why some songs were filtered out for the same reason or even less.

So stop *****ing about it. :)
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3253017 said:
    all I was doing was pointing out a flaw in this family friendly game...
    It's not a flaw, it's just a difference in opinion. Heck, if somebody came on here and said they were offended by the inclusion of any song with the letter "e" you'd call them crazy.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    The inclusion of the song is strange. It is a strange thing. That's all it is, though, strange. It IS worth noticing, but I don't understand how there's rumblings of an argument in this thread, since there's nothing to argue about.
    edited November 2009
    LuigiHann;3253565 said:
    The inclusion of the song is strange. It is a strange thing. That's all it is, though, strange.
    But that's what I don't get...why is it strange? Because of "hell"? It's in the ESRB description.

Heck, I heard the word "jackass" on Nick a few times in the past.