Why is "Suddenly I See" in L:RB?

FreezeRokkFreezeRokk Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
These are the lyrics from the chorus

"Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me"

I thought this was a family friendly game.

Comments

• Soy_BobSoy_Bob Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I would argue that hell is being used as an adjective to further the interrogative (Why?) than using it as a noun referencing the place where sinners so.

I guess this is a fair and kid-friendly usage of the word.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    I think that there's a different set of standards for on-disc songs versus DLC filtered songs.
  • SirRobin1tothe3SirRobin1tothe3 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'm more confused by Monster, which seems to be blatantly about hallucinogens or dissociatives.
  • elijahbarnes65elijahbarnes65 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    i think most kids have already heard the song since its on so you think you can dance and american idol when people get kicked off. i also couldnt see the song selling well as normal dlc so lego could have been the only way to get it in the game.
  • FreezeRokkFreezeRokk Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    LuigiHann;3250045 said:
    I think that there's a different set of standards for on-disc songs versus DLC filtered songs.
    That's terrible.

Also, Caprici di Diablo was also blocked out, I assumed because it said "Diablo" in it since it has no lyrics. I don't see why there should be such a double standard.
    edited November 2009
    On-disc songs were chosen by TT Games and have passed through the ESRB, so they factored into the game's E10+ rating (it probably could have gotten an E rating if they had played it totally safe).

It's not clear exactly who's in charge of filtering the DLC, but it seems that it's a different set of people (most likely just the audio team at HMX), and for the most part they appear to be erring on the very safe side, and tagging anything that might be remotely controversial. Why? Who knows.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250035 said:
    That sounds weird, because I remember seeing somewhere here that there was song that was omitted because it said "Oh Lord."
    Any speculation as to why some songs are included and some are not is just that, speculation.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    The game is rated a family-friendly E10+ (the song is also in the E-rated DS game) and the ESRB notes the use of the expletive "hell" on their web site. It's barely even a curse word; people are blowing this way out of proportion.
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Cliphead;3250260 said:
    The game is rated a family-friendly E10+ (the song is also in the E-rated DS game) and the ESRB notes the use of the expletive "hell" on their web site. It's barely even a curse word; people are blowing this way out of proportion.
    This. Also, the same reason that "You Give Love a Bad Name" was on-disc, despite the "You promised me heaven, but put me through hell" lyric. A-OK.
  • captainsamuscaptainsamus Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I'm a little dissapointed that no one replied to OP with

"Why the hell does it mean so much to you?"
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    captainsamus;3250412 said:
    I'm a little dissapointed that no one replied to OP with

"Why the hell does it mean so much to you?"
    Now I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking of that. :(
  • mjlambert1mjlambert1 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250016 said:

This is what I wanna be

Did you complain when it wasn't censored on family friendly radio?
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    instantdeath999;3250025 said:
    I'd say because most kids know what hell is, since we spend time scaring them with it...
    I loled.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    OMG! Such an obscene word, mentioning a figurative concept of punishment for evil in Christianity! The HEATHENS!

People (Americans especially) need to stop being such prudes about EVERYTHING.
  • AviStettoAviStetto Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250016 said:

This is what I wanna be

I agree that this song whould not have been included in the game. I put it right alongside Bad Reputation, which is included in Band Hero, as songs that don't fit a family friendly E-10 (10-year old - elementary school age) game.
    It is a song that will cause me to change the radio station when it comes on. It will also cause me to cancel a Mystery Setlist if it comes up while playing with the kids. I also find it annoying that it is one of the most common background songs that plays in the Rock Den.

Overall, I find the set list to be okay. That is the one song that bugs me the most.

I wish there were some way to blackball (or delete) specific songs.
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    AviStetto;3250778 said:
    I agree that this song whould not have been included in the game. I put it right alongside Bad Reputation, which is included in Band Hero, as songs that don't fit a family friendly E-10 (10-year old - elementary school age) game.
    Hey, it could be Bad Reputation (Live)
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2009
    "Suddenly I See" is one of the most fun songs in the game imo
    edited November 2009
    mjlambert1;3250549 said:
    I'd never heard the song before. So no.

The only reason I even brought this up because of the differences in on-disc and DLC censoring.
    kingtonyx;3250915 said:
    "Suddenly I See" is one of the most fun songs in the game imo
    Thank you for not saying "funnest."
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Better question: when are people going to stop making these threads?
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    jeccaneko;3251074 said:
    Better question: when are people going to stop making these threads?
    Exactly. It's not like we can change it, and we're certainly not going to have sympathy on you or commiserate with you as you shelter your children from such a harmless thing for such a stupid reason, but, eh, to each his own.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Because this song was a huge pop hit that lots of people both young and old alike seem to enjoy?
  • kate_childerskate_childers Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    It's on there because she is AWESOME. quit complaining.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250016 said:

This is what I wanna be

why the hell am i here - correct
    you're going to hell - not correct
    edited November 2009
    Rocket2Russia;3251153 said:

[QUOTE=jeccaneko;3251074]Better question: when are people going to stop making these threads?
    Exactly. It's not like we can change it, and we're certainly not going to have sympathy on you or commiserate with you as you shelter your children from such a harmless thing for such a stupid reason, but, eh, to each his own.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a pretty dumb question. People are going to keep making these threads because 1. it doesn't make sense that a family friendly game would have something like this in its lyrics. 2. There are other songs that were blocked out with even less than that. And as long as people notice these discrepancies, more threads will be made.

Also, I don't have children, and sympathy and commiserate mean the same thing, so you don't need to use both of them.
    kate_childers;3251277 said:
    It's on there because she is AWESOME. quit complaining.
    Awesomeness aside, one of the criteria of the songs passing the "filter" is no expletives, which I believe this song fails. Quit making bad excuses.
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure none of the people complaining about this actually have kids.
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3251397 said:
    Awesomeness aside, one of the criteria of the songs passing the "filter" is no expletives, which I believe this song fails. Quit making bad excuses.
    We honestly don't know anything about the filter's criteria beyond the following:

Family Friendly

“Family Friendly” content may be suitable for players of all ages. These tracks may contain the infrequent use of mild language.
    From here: http://www.rockband.com/song-ratings

I would say that this song falls into the "mild language" category. It pushes the border a little bit, but we don't really know where they draw the line.
    edited November 2009
    Also, the rating on the back cover mentions "mild lyrics," and quoth the ESRB's web site:
    the ESRB said:
    During some cutscenes, Lego characters engage in not so civil behavior: a hotel room is trashed; a character belches loudly into a microphone; and a dinosaur destroys an outhouse, leaving a solitary figure stranded on a toilet. Song lyrics occasionally reference violence (e.g., "Somebody's gonna die . . . My ex will start a fight"), use the expletive "hell," and seemingly allude to substance abuse (e.g., "Brain fried tonight through misuse . . . Without these pills you're let loose . . . Is it a monster?")
  • SirRobin1tothe3SirRobin1tothe3 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    XD @ "seemingly allude"

I have no problem with Suddenly I See but Monster has me scratching my head to no end.
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    FreezeRokk;3250016 said:

This is what I wanna be

With regards to these continual threads, here's my family friendly answer.

FECK OFF.
  • HauntingYourKidsHauntingYourKids Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Because TT Games is a British game developer and "Suddenly I See" is KT Tunstall's biggest UK hit.

...oh, it the whole "hell" thing, right. Um... you know, "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" is Tunstall's 4th biggest UK hit, so... yeah, I'm going nowhere with these ellipses.