Freezepop's Sean Drinkwater Isn't Diggin' RBN

XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I thought this was interesting. An interview run by Japanator's Zac Bentz with Freezepop recently got some thoughts on RBN:
Liz Enthusiasm is dreamy...what?" said:

ZB: That was another thing I wanted to know. Are you going to keep doing the Rock Band thing?

Sean: That was the plan. We got an Xbox and were part of this early adopter plan so we could self author. I'll tell you though, I'm not loving it. It's crazy complicated.

ZB: I've thought about checking it out for my band too, but I don't even have a 360 so...

Sean: You've got to have a 360 and you've got to have this special account and you've got to be signed up though Harmonix. And the technology is kind of overwhelming. And I'm pretty good and music technology. I mean, I own a recording studio, I can get around ProTools, Logic and stuff. But there's programming the crowd to react in certain ways, getting all the MIDI information right for all the drum hits...”oh god I am not going to be able to do this.”
Interesting. Personally I've kinda felt the same way. I haven't touched the technology yet but I've talked to people who have and it seems overwhelming to me but I thought I just wasn't cool enough. I'm pretty deep in the local music scene and because I'm known for being the "music game" guy I've had people come up to me wondering if I'd put their songs up and I've had to turn them down. It's just too big, expensive, and time consuming. But again that's how I feel and I thought it was just me. I do love the idea of getting the content just the idea of making it is too big for me. Kinda wish they'd have some demo software to fool around with to get started. I applaud you all who really put effort into this.

Anyways I thought considering this is mother lovin' Freezepop it was fascinating. I've only heard good things about it until now.

Comments

• LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2009
    Ah, your thread title had me a bit worried that he didn't dig the concept, so it's nice to see that he's just finding the editor daunting.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited November 2009
    The thread title is pretty misleading. It's not that he isn't digging RBN; it's that he doesn't love the complicated process of authoring a song for the RBN. And honestly, I don't think there are many people who would disagree with that sentiment.

He's actually enthusiastic about the prospect of putting out more of their music via RBN, and he mentioned that they got a 360 with the RBN specifically in mind:
    Seth: You guys got a 360 though.

Sean: Now! Only in the last month, 'cause we have to author Rock Band songs on it.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited November 2009
    I hope Sean can figure out RBN. I would definitely pay for more Freezepop, either as official HMX released DLC, or as RBN DLC they release on their own.
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Yeah sorry everybody. I've just been calling the software itself RBN as well as the concept so I can see how that can be misleading for people other than myself.

By the way has Freezepop said anything about getting their songs on RBN prior to this? Any idea on what to expect?
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Xzyliac;3251618 said:
    I do love the idea of getting the content just the idea of making it is too big for me. Kinda wish they'd have some demo software to fool around with to get started.
    Reaper has a 30 day free demo, the RBN docs are free, there is a sample song all charted for you to download, there is this forum if you get stuck somewhere.

And you wish there was something to fool around with? I don't get it.
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    ethicalpaul;3251944 said:
    Reaper has a 30 day free demo, the RBN docs are free, there is a sample song all charted for you to download, there is this forum if you get stuck somewhere.

And you wish there was something to fool around with? I don't get it.
    Really? I'll look again. Last I looked I had a really difficult time finding all the stuff. I dunno. Maybe this just ain't my scene.
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Xzyliac;3252287 said:
    Really? I'll look again. Last I looked I had a really difficult time finding all the stuff. I dunno. Maybe this just ain't my scene.
    All the stuff you need to download, including the sample song, is right here. The only other thing is the XNA membership, but you don't need that to get started.

Overall, I don't really think the RBN stuff is too complicated. It's kinda necessary for it to be somewhat complicated in order to be able to make charts/animations that are as good as Harmonix's, so I guess not every Joe Shmoe in a band can chart their own songs, but that's why there's all the third party groups that will chart people's stuff.
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I hope he sticks with it. I'd buy every Freezepop song they'd chart.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited November 2009
    JesusSilencio;3253222 said:
    All the stuff you need to download, including the sample song, is right here. The only other thing is the XNA membership, but you don't need that to get started.

Overall, I don't really think the RBN stuff is too complicated. It's kinda necessary for it to be somewhat complicated in order to be able to make charts/animations that are as good as Harmonix's, so I guess not every Joe Shmoe in a band can chart their own songs, but that's why there's all the third party groups that will chart people's stuff.
    so we could start making music and charting it without having to have the XNA membership to post it up?

if we could, that would be sweet! :D

i could post it when i finish making it :)
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Magnet;3251751 said:
    [H]e doesn't love the complicated process of authoring a song for the RBN. And honestly, I don't think there are many people who would disagree with that sentiment.
    It's funny, because that's one of the things I love about authoring with RBN - how complicated everything is. Maybe it's just because I have a head for number games (which is a big part of authoring). Maybe I'm more familiar with MIDI than most others, allowing me a bigger comfort zone. It's just a big puzzle. A big awesome rock puzzle.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited November 2009
    JPSChampagne;3256123 said:
    I hope he sticks with it. I'd buy every Freezepop song they'd chart.
    Tell me about it! Even with the five already in Rock Band, I still have many others that I'd love to play. The possibilities are so exciting.

Hopefully the "overwhelming" aspect of the initial learning curve is something that can be overcome by him, and he might even become quite proficient with creating songs in time.
  • SixthbuttonSixthbutton Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    That totally fruggin sucks. Making it as easy as possible for the bands to pick up and program is a no-brainer. Nice job HMX.
  • kenekekeneke Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Sixthbutton;3261974 said:
    That totally fruggin sucks. Making it as easy as possible for the bands to pick up and program is a no-brainer. Nice job HMX.
    Honestly, I think it's been made as easy as it can be for us. Some people will have an aptitude for it and pick it up right away. Others will not 'get it' at all, music background or not.

Think about what's being done, you're controlling, the notes played, the sound being created and what you're seeing. There has to be some level of complexity in that, no?
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited November 2009
    I tried charting a song in feedback once for GH and I overcharted the hell out of it.

It's not for everyone- but people seem to find it funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30NArimCJA
  • seandrinkwaterseandrinkwater Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Hey gang.

Sean from Freezepop here.

To clarify: I'm in love with the concept here and I actually don't think the technology is all that ass-kicking, but we're also in the middle of trying to finish a record at the same time, and it's been kind of daunting to do both. That quote, although not inaccurate, was part of a larger conversation which would have provided more context.

I have found the programming etc. to be not-exactly-intuitive, but again, my priority right now if I'm going to be sitting at a DAW all day is to tidy up the new Freezepop record.

So, to be fair, I haven't been in Reaper for more than two or three hours and was just kind of riffing with that reporter (who was actually quite good...don't wanna give him a bad review here).

We (Freezepop) are committed to getting stuff up on RBN and we're really excited about the entire idea, but it's gonna take a little longer than I was expecting.

Hope this clarifies...

Best,
    Sean
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    "getting all the MIDI information right for all the drum hits"

Ummmm... I dunno about him, but as a fellow electronic musician, I just took my midi notes and moved them around to fit in the 5 input format. It was the easiest part. He's lucky he doesn't have to do guitars. Synthpop bands have it easy, they just need to modify the midi notes for what they already have. The hard part is already done.
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Soror_YZBL;3299661 said:
    "getting all the MIDI information right for all the drum hits"

Ummmm... I dunno about him, but as a fellow electronic musician, I just took my midi notes and moved them around to fit in the 5 input format. It was the easiest part. He's lucky he doesn't have to do guitars. Synthpop bands have it easy, they just need to modify the midi notes for what they already have. The hard part is already done.
    I think his point was more that there is so much that needs to go into a chart that he didn't really think about. Not really so much that they don't think that they can do it, just that it's time consuming.
  • thjimmythjimmy Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    seandrinkwater;3299430 said:
    Hey gang.

Sean from Freezepop here.

To clarify: I'm in love with the concept here and I actually don't think the technology is all that ass-kicking, but we're also in the middle of trying to finish a record at the same time, and it's been kind of daunting to do both. That quote, although not inaccurate, was part of a larger conversation which would have provided more context.

I have found the programming etc. to be not-exactly-intuitive, but again, my priority right now if I'm going to be sitting at a DAW all day is to tidy up the new Freezepop record.

So, to be fair, I haven't been in Reaper for more than two or three hours and was just kind of riffing with that reporter (who was actually quite good...don't wanna give him a bad review here).

We (Freezepop) are committed to getting stuff up on RBN and we're really excited about the entire idea, but it's gonna take a little longer than I was expecting.

Hope this clarifies...

Best,
    Sean
    Sean - Thanks for the clarification. It's nice to hear from the source instead of having all of us speculate on what was really meant.

We can't wait for the new album and the RBN music.
    edited December 2009
    JesusSilencio;3299840 said:
    I think his point was more that there is so much that needs to go into a chart that he didn't really think about. Not really so much that they don't think that they can do it, just that it's time consuming.
    He's definitely right on that part. I'm not finding the RBN tools particularly difficult, just... OH MY GOD THERE'S SO MUCH TO DO! I need an assembly line or a sweatshop or something. Sean, have you considered that?
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Soror_YZBL;3300171 said:
    Sean, have you considered [an assembly line or a sweatshop or something]?
    *raises hand*

Yeah, the artistic portion of RBN is definitely the hardest part. And I don't blame Freezepop for wanting to focus primarily on their new CD. I can see where things were misinterpreted.
    edited December 2009
    DavyinaToga;3300797 said:
    *raises hand*

Yeah, the artistic portion of RBN is definitely the hardest part. And I don't blame Freezepop for wanting to focus primarily on their new CD. I can see where things were misinterpreted.
    Me too. I got into Rock Band because of Freezepop, not the other way around. I want a new record that I can bebop on the beach to next summer. Something catchy, with a lot of hooks. And I can dance to it.