Purchased USed copy of Lego RB, now cant export songs!

IrongladiatorIrongladiator Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Hello all, I recently got Lego Rock Band at gamestop used. However the export license key was used and is now gone! how do I export the songs out of Lego Rock band without the code from harmonix? (This is for the Xbox 360)

Comments

• Jerome2001Jerome2001 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    unfortunately, you can't
  • ftmsanchezftmsanchez Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Buy the game new, ya bum.
  • IrongladiatorIrongladiator Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    ftmsanchez;3253381 said:
    Buy the game new, ya bum.
    Guess I'm gonna have to! Oh well, thats what I get for trying to cheat the system! hehehe! thanks anyways guys!
  • EmalytheEmalythe Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Let me be the first to thank you for admitting you were trying to cheat the system rather than going on a rant about Harmonix or XBL/PSN. :-)
    edited November 2009
    Emalythe;3253422 said:
    Let me be the first to thank you for admitting you were trying to cheat the system rather than going on a rant about Harmonix or XBL/PSN. :-)
    You're quite welcome, I just got back from gamestop, the manager on duty said no problem as I WAS just in there and let me swap it out for a new copy and I now have the code!
    edited November 2009
    Sorry for the double post, but I was curious, why did Harmonix do this to begin with? Was it an attempt to stop the "Rental/Export"? That being said, whats to stop me from helping out a few friends by return my new copy to GameStop and saying that the disc is bad and getting a new copy and more importantly a new code for my friend? (Kinda shady I know) - (Not that I would, but I'm sure this has crossed atleast someones mind. hehehe Not exaclty fool proof harmonix!)
  • PrototypeXT3PrototypeXT3 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Irongladiator;3253585 said:
    Sorry for the double post, but I was curious, why did Harmonix do this to begin with? Was it an attempt to stop the "Rental/Export"? That being said, whats to stop me from helping out a few friends by return my new copy to GameStop and saying that the disc is bad and getting a new copy and more importantly a new code for my friend? (Kinda shady I know) - (Not that I would, but I'm sure this has crossed atleast someones mind. hehehe Not exaclty fool proof harmonix!)
    I think that is why they done that.. but yeah, it's not totally fool proof, but it's more fool proof than RB1.
  • Explosion2Explosion2 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Yep. it was to stop the rent/export.
  • edited November 2009
    In the original export case, the patch was added in 9 months after the fact. Thus it had far less probability of harming retail disc sales than an export on day one.
  • jl8ejl8e Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    It probably also makes the licensing easier -- they can guarantee only one export per copy.

I'd think this is the main reason they're serializing all their games, even Beatles, where the code serves no pirpose.
  • pinksheetspinksheets Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    whats to stop me from helping out a few friends by return my new copy to GameStop and saying that the disc is bad and getting a new copy and more importantly a new code for my friend? (Kinda shady I know) - (Not that I would, but I'm sure this has crossed atleast someones mind. hehehe Not exaclty fool proof harmonix!)
    That's up to the employees of Game Stop, and trust me, they are aware people do this. I worked for a competitor for four years as a store manager, and now work part time at Game Stop (extremely part-time) as I just went back to school at a university a couple hours away from the store I work at. Whenever a customer wants to exchange a game with a one-time use code, I always open up the copy I'm giving back to them, and simply swap the discs between the cases.

A stunt like that would be more successful at a big box store, as the customer service department would be less likely to be aware of one-time use codes. It's just plain wrong, though.
  • brett82brett82 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    jl8e;3254480 said:
    It probably also makes the licensing easier -- they can guarantee only one export per copy.

I'd think this is the main reason they're serializing all their games, even Beatles, where the code serves no pirpose.
    Thats not entirely true you can still export multiple on ps3 with someones username that has the export available
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Sorry for the double post, but I was curious, why did Harmonix do this to begin with? Was it an attempt to stop the "Rental/Export"?
    Yes. They want to ensure (As best they can) that you can only get one export per disc bought.
    That being said, whats to stop me from helping out a few friends by return my new copy to GameStop and saying that the disc is bad and getting a new copy and more importantly a new code for my friend?
    Do you trust your friend to give you at least $25? Because otherwise you've just saved your friend $50 while getting nothing out of the deal yourself.

Also, you would likely get a few suspicious stares if you attempted to exchange the game more than once as "faulty". Especially at the same store. Not only would the system likely flag you, but the employees have a better chance of knowing about the export than you think. So they personally may have reasons to suspect your trying to steal from them.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    As many people did, they bought the game, used the code to export the songs to RB2 and returned the game. It's screwed up, but that's the way it is.

If you planned on exporting the songs, you should of spent the extra 5 bucks and bought a new game. Stop being cheap. I don't understand how people can buy a used game for $55 when you can get a brand new one for $60. The economy ain't that bad
  • ElMartilloElMartillo Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Mega-Tallica;3256231 said:
    As many people did, they bought the game, used the code to export the songs to RB2 and returned the game. It's screwed up, but that's the way it is.

If you planned on exporting the songs, you should of spent the extra 5 bucks and bought a new game. Stop being cheap. I don't understand how people can buy a used game for $55 when you can get a brand new one for $60. The economy ain't that bad
    Well at gamestop you can get the edge card discount and when it comes to other games (that you might not be sure you want) you can always return it for a full refund. I've done that many times to save myself from losing $60 on a hyped game that was lame. :D

In this case though I agree. Especially since L:RB was $10 less than other new releases.
  • JamstruthJamstruth Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Its not a big deal now with any copies on sale pre-owned are from people who exported and traded in but what about 3 months down the line when there's a big difference between the prices and buying used becomes a lot more attractive. Its annoying to think that if I buy L:RB used a few months down the line I will never ever get export.
    edited November 2009
    Mega-Tallica;3256231 said:
    I'm trying to figure out how that would work, as opening the game to get the export code means you no longer can return the title.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3257694 said:
    I'm trying to figure out how that would work, as opening the game to get the export code means you no longer can return the title.
    That would depend on where you bought it from wouldn't it?
    edited November 2009
    pinksheets;3254574 said:
    That's up to the employees of Game Stop, and trust me, they are aware people do this. I worked for a competitor for four years as a store manager, and now work part time at Game Stop (extremely part-time) as I just went back to school at a university a couple hours away from the store I work at. Whenever a customer wants to exchange a game with a one-time use code, I always open up the copy I'm giving back to them, and simply swap the discs between the cases.

A stunt like that would be more successful at a big box store, as the customer service department would be less likely to be aware of one-time use codes. It's just plain wrong, though.
    First and foremost, let me say that I agree, that it is wrong. Whats also wrong is software company who doesnt think that a game wont be traded in (Much like Gamestop), only to be resold as used and then deny the person buying the used game the option to export those songs. Now me personally I intend to keep my Lego Rock Band, but I also bought it so that I could export those songs. Now it was my assupmtion that I could just export those songs just like in Rock Band 1, and assumptions as we all know are the mother of all f***-ups, so that was my mistake, I was just lucky enough that the manager was willing to let me trade it back in for a new copy, so that I could get my hands on that code. However you wont see a tear from me if anyone should attempt this and get away with it.
    T-Hybrid said:
    Do you trust your friend to give you at least $25? Because otherwise you've just saved your friend $50 while getting nothing out of the deal yourself.

Also, you would likely get a few suspicious stares if you attempted to exchange the game more than once as "faulty". Especially at the same store. Not only would the system likely flag you, but the employees have a better chance of knowing about the export than you think. So they personally may have reasons to suspect your trying to steal from them.
    (@ T-Hybrid, please dont take this personally this isnt an attack on you.) Again I'm not doing this, and if I were, I would'nt be doin' it for a co-worker or some random aquaintance, but rather a good friend, so I wouldnt expect any compensation in return. It would be a favor from me to him/her. In addition, let see a show of post's, who here really give's a sh** about getting suspicious stares or being flagged at a store for attempting this?
  • SheepStampedeSheepStampede Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Irongladiator;3258942 said:
    Whats also wrong is software company who doesnt think that a game wont be traded in (Much like Gamestop), only to be resold as used and then deny the person buying the used game the option to export those songs.
    Think of it this way, when you purchase new you are buying the rights to 1. Play the songs via disk 2. Have the option to export. When you buy used you are buying the rights to 1. Play the songs via disk. There is no denying involved, you simply did not purchase that right.
    I was just lucky enough that the manager was willing to let me trade it back in for a new copy, so that I could get my hands on that code.
    Gamestop policy is you can return used games within 7 days for any reason for a full refund, no luck involved there.
  • Bloodred64Bloodred64 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Actually he is lucky...The manager could have traded it in for another used copy but was nice enough to trade it in for a NEW copy and that IS luck (I know because i'm never that lucky) ;-P
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Jamstruth;3257534 said:
    Its not a big deal now with any copies on sale pre-owned are from people who exported and traded in but what about 3 months down the line when there's a big difference between the prices and buying used becomes a lot more attractive. Its annoying to think that if I buy L:RB used a few months down the line I will never ever get export.
    I own hundreds of games and most of them were bought new. I try and support the industry when possible. I don't return games, even very lame ones (I'm looking at you, Stretch Panic.)

This isn't trying to say I'm better than another person, but what people have to be aware of is that now that games have an online component to them there is also an option for companies to finally do something about the resale market. It's something I've been expecting and watching occur ever since the majority userbase for games convinced themselves that games that couldn't be played online or do things with online stuff weren't worth having.

Simply put: if you want the full functionality of the game, be prepared to pay the full price for the game. Harmonix isn't the first to do something like this, and they won't be the last. The economy's tough on companies too, and it's difficult to blame them for doing what they can to reasonably curb used game sales a bit. I wouldn't be surprised at all to eventually see half or more of all games be playable used but lose out on exclusive levels, features and options that are only activatable one time with a code. Will that make those games less profitable for resale? Sure. Do the companies producing those games care about that? Why would they?
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    First and foremost, let me say that I agree, that it is wrong. Whats also wrong is software company who doesnt think that a game wont be traded in (Much like Gamestop), only to be resold as used and then deny the person buying the used game the option to export those songs.
    Oh, it gets better than that. You should expect that, if a company could, they would prevent you from playing a used copy of the game, period. The first time I remember this happening was with Phantasy Star Online with the Dreamcast, in which the game would synch its own activation code to the serial number of the system the first time you went online. A used copy of the game couldn't be played online at all.
    edited November 2009
    Bloodred64;3259048 said:
    Actually he is lucky...The manager could have traded it in for another used copy but was nice enough to trade it in for a NEW copy and that IS luck (I know because i'm never that lucky) ;-P
    You bought a used game and swapped it for a sealed new title?

I'm sorry, I don't believe that. I believe that you returned the used disc and bought a new one...but I don't believe you just did a swap without paying the difference.
  • DekieonDekieon Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    He never said he swapped it out and didn't pay the difference, and he never said he did pay the difference either. I assumed that when he said he swapped it out for a new one, that he paid the difference for it.
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3259308 said:
    You bought a used game and swapped it for a sealed new title?

I'm sorry, I don't believe that. I believe that you returned the used disc and bought a new one...but I don't believe you just did a swap without paying the difference.
    O.K. So let me be clear, I gave back my used copy (in turn Gamestop refunded me my money) and then bought the new copy. So, "yes" I paid the difference. So if I was unclear or you misunderstood me.....I apologize. Are you clear on what happened now? Not that you should give a hoot....but whatever, I'm more than happy to explain myself.